Coral beauty vs Flame Angel.....

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a flame that nipped LPS and nothing else and one that nipped sps and nothing else. Never had one nip euphyllia though. You’re basically just rolling the dice.

SelimSeven

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my Emperor, I also got an autmatic feeder with it. :) And also as mentioned above when I’m around he doesn’t pick on anything but my zoa colony died for no reason after a few weeks. Angels are unpredictable and a little bit sneaky imo.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are like 50% likely to eat coral. There's no real rhyme or reason to it. They might not nip for years and then turn into a monster. It's just luck of the draw. I never trust dwarfs because they're unpredictable
Right they call the "coral" beauties because in the wild that's their diet.

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Flame at home DT (90 gal) and a Coral Beauty at work (150 gal) and haven't had any known issues of coral nipping. In my particular case, the Coral Beauty is the more aggressive of the two, but neither are troublesome. Certainly some of the prettiest "common" marine aquarium fish with lots of personality and I'd have one of each in both tanks if I thought I could get away with it.

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coral beauty in my 55 gallon reef for over 3 years. He's a Great Citizen. He's with a Niger Trigger (Tyrone) a Melanurus Wrasse, 2 clownfish, a blenny and Diamond Goby. I feel that I am Extremely lucky with the Trigger And Beauty. Had a Flame Angel, but I couldn't get her to eat.

AF595ECB-E277-4202-914C-12754E982DC2.jpeg

28636DEB-B64E-4E37-BA24-D9CF76153BBD.jpeg

0FE6F7A0-9245-4BC4-96F4-F6E9B559B9B6.jpeg

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work at a retail coral store. I get trade ins consisting of coral beauty's much more often than flame angels because of them eating coral. That being said, Euphyllia are usually NOT on the diet of the coral tasting angels.

NeedMoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
xenia mother coral 006.JPG

I love the flame angel. my flame would nip on occasion. I would add after corals are larger.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right they call the "coral" beauties because in the wild that's their diet.
Yeah I might have to just go with a Foxface or some anthias. I really don't want to risk it.
I just ordered 5280 pods from algae barn because I am seeding my tank for a mandarin. I am going to order 5k every week for 2 or 3 month so by September which is my year anniversary I can have a nice population and get me a mandarin. I just wanted to buy something this weekend as a treat for passing my Bio exam on the brain.

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I might have to just go with a Foxface or some anthias. I really don't want to risk it.
Get a good school of Anthias they add a lot of beautiful color and motion to your ocean IMO pinks yellows purple blue hues. I love both the coral beauty an the flame but it would have to be in a FOWL I think aboit getting one everytime I'm at the LFS an I have to walk away. Lol

van7271

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both in a 55 gal and not had one yet mess with coral or become aggressive towards others. Maybe I’m blessed but they have always been great reef residents.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a Coral Beauty and a Flame in my 240 mixed lps/softy tank for 8 years. They got along perfectly and did not actively eat any corals.
They would very occasionally nip leather corals. But never in the same spot and it never bother the corals.
The Flame was killed in a tank move and the Coral Beauty lived for another 7 years.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a Coral Beauty and a Flame in my 240 mixed lps/softy tank for 8 years. They got along perfectly and did not actively eat any corals.
They would very occasionally nip leather corals. But never in the same spot and it never bother the corals.
The Flame was killed in a tank move and the Coral Beauty lived for another 7 years.

The coral beauty set the flame angel up. It was too much of a coincidence the flame angel died during g the move lol. Just sayin lol.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The coral beauty set the flame angel up. It was too much of a coincidence the flame angel died during g the move lol. Just sayin lol.
I think the Coral Beauty pushed the Flame under that falling rock. lol

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I seen a thread earlier Acro crab? Friend or hitchhiker or something like that. I commented;
"When in doubt toss him in the trigger tank!"

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both at the same time without any problems in an 85 gallon tank. Just feed them well. Both are beautiful fish.

Anthonykp17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and I would say they are both good as well as they have plenty of live rock and are well feed. my tank have a ton of sponges in it so they leave the corals alone. Well as of today. who knows what tomorrow brings

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 72 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back