Corals that you regret buying?

Mark2480

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Digitata, it spawned and for a year know I am still trying to remove all the patches that have sprung up.

Grizz717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as GSP, i have heard that if you put it on one big old rock away form all the other rocks it'll stay on that one. is that true? they wouldn't grow like, along sand would they?
Mine has grown over the sand and is growing over an old conch shell. So yes they will grow over sand. My wife loves it though!

Valli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as GSP, i have heard that if you put it on one big old rock away form all the other rocks it'll stay on that one. is that true? they wouldn't grow like, along sand would they?
I have a rock the size of a softball covered in GSP. It started as a scrap the size of a postage stamp and covered the whole thing in like 8 months. It has never tried creeping over the sand or anything. It looks awesome and is the only thing happy that close to the powerhead. I really like it!

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret buying a few of the wild collected corals you see people selling. They often don't adjust well, or change to an undesirable color in the tank. If they don't make it, then I'm just helping destroy and not save reefs. These days if it comes cultured, that's how I buy it, even if it costs me more.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret Any type of Toadstool and Xenia I have bought. I can NOT keep those dang things alive.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Xenia isolated and it still ends up all over my tank.
Never had Xenia, but have plenty of Anthelia (similar). All it takes is for the tiniest little fragment of it to settle somewhere and it will grow. I've got a couple small, isolated colonies in my reef and I still end up scraping new polyps off the main reef from time to time... they even end up growing in my sump and refugium.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always known which weed-types to stay away from (thanks to R2R) but I bought a plain red microacan that has grown a lot but very boring. And a deep blue/purple discosoma mushroom that wont stop spitting out babies.
Also, bought a green slimer once and it died within a week :(

Tom Blevins

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First it was Caps & Monti's but now I have a problem with these! the rock is basketball size
and on the bottom of all my branch tonga bummer!

upload_2017-2-7_9-28-11.png

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I "regret" any of these, but have definitely learned to isolate them. GSP, Anthelia, Yuma Ricordea, and green button polyps (palythoa). They all spread quickly, which can be used to advantage. I'm got about half of my back glass and one side glass covered with a combination of these (out of reach of the main reef structures). I've also got 3 different cyphastreas on the glass as well as some red-cap monti. I put the red-cap on my main structure, but am slowly eliminating it to make room for other sps. It quickly takes up a lot of valuable real-estate and shades others in the process. I also put one of the cyphastreas on the main structure (meteor shower), which I may end up regretting, though it is somewhat isolated.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big, expensive Space Invader Pectinia that my wife insisted on buying at MACNA. It did poorly in our tanks (I tried all 3 of them) and just slowly diet over ~4 months, despite dips, spot feeding, etc. I might get a small one again, but never a big established colony!

icemansixty9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on the neon green pocillipora had it get 3'x3'x3' after 13 yrs took it down all the build up underneath released all kinds of bad build up

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree leathers! Currently trying to figure out how to get rid of all mine.

20170207_191540.jpg

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was a cheap way to send zoanthids I would be willing to mail frags of a brown and gold one I have. I don't regret adding it yet. But boy is it spreading

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back