Corals that you regret buying?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink star polyps. Worse than gsp. I've already traded in to rocks fully covered in it and am slowly nuking the rest on my tonga with kalk paste. I need to raise my alk back anyhow...

cyan0069

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green star polyps without a doubt. Though a blue Cespitularia frag is on its way to taking over my 58. It may end up in the top spot soon enough.

Aaron Stone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Meteor Shower, that thing has taken over its rock and kills everything in its way. I have to scrape it back every 2 weeks to keep it at bay.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I don't have any problems with GSP or Kenya Trees. I constantly frag out both constantly though. As long as you keep these 2 under control, they are a beautiful part of any reef

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only regret buying what died as I hate losing anything and wasting money. What overtakes one person's tank will fail in somebody else's tank. Every coral given the right conditions will grow and need to be trimmed or fragged. The whole thing I thought we were trying to do was give the right conditions to grow coral and fish.

Mark3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3674.JPG
IMG_3663.JPG
Well I know this thread is about a Coral that we regret, I regret getting a Sea Apple. The LFS said yes it's Reef Safe, but didn't elaborate to tell me if they are threatened or Stressed, that they will send out a toxin that would kill all Fish. Not kill coral all Fish. So I come home after work abe see all of my Fish either Floating or desperately trying to get oxygen. Horrible Day. The only Fish to make it through, and in my tank to this day is My Ocellaris Clown.
Yep...Been there, done that ...Red sea apple will release toxin that kills anything with gills. Had one about 20 years ago... Didn't think they were still in the market.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garf bonzi. It's taken 1/3 of my rsm130d. When I clean praised get knocked off and it sprouts everywhere.

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kenya tree! One of the first corals I bought for my first tank. Huge mistake! Started dropping little branches everywhere. Thought it was cool at first but that quickly changed.
The one I had in the store started spreading pretty quickly, too, now that I think of it...

FFKiwi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as GSP, i have heard that if you put it on one big old rock away form all the other rocks it'll stay on that one. is that true? they wouldn't grow like, along sand would they?

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what were the symptoms that you got?

When I'm just hands deep in a tank there's no reaction. If we're fragging them at a club meeting or in helping someone move rock though... Well, imagine a itchy sunburn that hits immediately on my hands starting with my knuckles then spreads. And it lasts about two weeks or so. Kinda like if you wash your hands too much and they dry out and crack. But instant.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as GSP, i have heard that if you put it on one big old rock away form all the other rocks it'll stay on that one. is that true? they wouldn't grow like, along sand would they?
It will grow out over the sand so you'll still have to trim it back, but definitely easier to isolate that way.

Lowstorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yup. They grow on a mat so if they aren't ripped apart in the tank they're fine. I have a rock mines on. I like it but that rock will not be allowed to touch anything else. If they do crawl onto the sand it would be simple to just pull it up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back