OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike did i mis your answer about where you injected them at ? I have used it a long time for frag dipping i usual let them set in it for 30 minutes.
I have been doing it on the stem. The dipping I was talking about I do it in straight Kent's Iodine. 30 Min would burn them. Just when I cut them or see them having trouble do I dip them in straight. Never had a bad reaction yet and always open right away with complete healing within 2 days, with signs of such even less time. Been doing that basically from day one, the dipping.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smallest I could find before at Tractor Supply was 22 ga. Still a bit bigger than insulin needles.

On another note. Do you think each polyp need be injected? Doesn't the entire colony share?
I have been doing each polyp, but hey, this is totally new to me, just experimenting thing right now. Like I said, the Armageddons were on their way out and toward the end of last week I knew they were goners even after several dips and trying them at different tank/flow/light conditions. The injecting each polyp stem was a desperate last ditch effort that seemed to have brought them back. It is so new to me I really could not provide any further information on it other than I am trying it on some PEoAs that are also having similar trouble.

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if straight 30 will be to long. i use a pint of tank water with about 12
drops for fraging.
I have been doing it on the stem. The dipping I was talking about I do it in straight Kent's Iodine. 30 Min would burn them. Just when I cut them or see them having trouble do I dip them in straight. Never had a bad reaction yet and always open right away with complete healing within 2 days, with signs of such even less time. Been doing that basically from day one, the dipping.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing each polyp, but hey, this is totally new to me, just experimenting thing right now. Like I said, the Armageddons were on their way out and toward the end of last week I knew they were goners even after several dips and trying them at different tank/flow/light conditions. The injecting each polyp stem was a desperate last ditch effort that seemed to have brought them back. It is so new to me I really could not provide any further information on it other than I am trying it on some PEoAs that are also having similar trouble.

Hey let me know how your second experiment goes....i recently purchased some frags and one of them is not doing well at all....i have been trying to let it come back on its own since i dose Vit C and yesterday i dosed iodine over it (not concentrated though).....it may be a last effort for me but if you are successful twice and i already have lugols iodine...then it might be time for me to give it a shot!

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what what....definitely tagging along....lost a few killer zoas over the years to this prob...would be great if this new method can remedy probs like this!

Zach.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You never know! Thanks for sharing ad keep us up to date!

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the PEoA today. Difficult to tell but they have inflated a bit more then they were yesterday and much more so than they were over the weekend. I will do another injection later tonight and pic tomorrow.
The Armageddons are I would say completely healed. I will get a close-up of them in a bit. I have to move them up front for that. I wish I had gotten a pic of how they looked when I decided to try the injection but I really had no hope for them and did not think of documenting the treatment. you will have to take my word for what that is worth that they were on their way out.
Pics later this evening.

IMG_5322.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here are the Arms. I would say them have turned around without a doubt. I cannot say that the Iodine injection has saved them without seeing it again, but I can say these have made a recovery with the Iodine injections being performed on them as the only treatment since the dips of which they were only regressing to whit.
Now we wait and see what happens to the PEoA.
If anyone has any crappy zoas they want to sell me just...kidding.

armshealing.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some white ones someone gave me a couple weeks ago. They had fallen down behinfd some rock and been there for a long time. I have no idea what they are. Some have opened and some do not act as though they want to so I will inject them also and we will see what happens. Might be better to inject some zoothanxthellae. lol

PEoA are People Eaters on Acid.

whitezoa.jpg

whitezoa1.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and please note the different forms of Iodine. You do not want to use the kind for human/animal use.
Lugol's is what you want to use. This is a Kent product. Kent's also makes a dilute form called Ken't iodide/iodine. This is the form I use.
I cannot say anything about any other brands of reef/fish use iodine as I have never used them.

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting discovery. I will definitely be following this thread for updates!

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An insulin syringe is 1ml total, 1 unit=.01ml, you could also use a tuberculin syringe, and the needle on these is a 25g, 1/2 inch needle. Pretty sure you can buy them at your local pharmacy. Hopefully that is useful information, if not, it's still information!

jamirlima

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will try on my blue zoos that are not opening since i got them 2 weeks ago....
how many drops or how much to inject?

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will try on my blue zoos that are not opening since i got them 2 weeks ago....
how many drops or how much to inject?
Couldn't really tell you for sure. Just experimenting. I do what I calculate to be a drop or less. With the diabetic syringe in units which holds 50 units about 1-2 units per polyp. It probably isn't even a drop going by a dropper. If you can wait a few more days I will be able to give better details and more accurate results. Right now I am still in the fear stage. The Arms have pulled through but the PEoA have not come fully around though theya re showing signs of improvement. Maybe place them in high flow for the time being. If you have some Kent's Iodine dip them in some straight solution then leave them in the dry for 30 seconds and then back into high flow. Make sure you put the bottle of iodine into the sump/tank to bring it to temp first (make sure the cap is on tight).

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and please note the different forms of Iodine. You do not want to use the kind for human/animal use.
Lugol's is what you want to use. This is a Kent product. Kent's also makes a dilute form called Ken't iodide/iodine. This is the form I use.
I cannot say anything about any other brands of reef/fish use iodine as I have never used them.

I have the concentrated lugols type....would you suggest diluting with some tank water and then injecting??

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back