OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if an iodine dip would work just as good? Let them sit in there for 15 mins. or so.
That long in straight iodine will probably kill them

I usually dip them in and remove immediately and let them sit out in the dry a minute before placing them back in the tank.

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven't been able to post the pics - no reason other than work keeping me busy during the week and me being lazy on teh weekends. but wanted to give an update and share my experience none the less.

However, as pointed out earlier, lugols seemed to be a little overkill, it being concentrated and all. it is probably best to dilute it before injecting if one was so inclined to do so.

My AoG's were not doing so well when the tangs decided to take a bite and made it fall of the rack while I was at work. I picked it up from the sand when I came home only to find that there were no polyps left :/ (I have kept the frag plug with the slightest hope that there is some mat left which may sprout some polyps down the road)

in the pink zoa frag i had also injected, the ones I haven't injected seems ok and fully opened up. I think about 2 (out of like 10) that I had injected is also recovered and fully opened. I may have injected ones that weren't problematic (closed) initially but they are from the area where I had injected. So this could be because the infection/disease/we it was was not affecting those guys and thus were able to withstand the concentrated dosage. A weird thing is that teh ones I haven't injected and the ones that survived are from the two edges of the frag and the ones in the middle could not make it.

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tired it on a frag of Darth M that went down hill fast. Dont work' Thea where
probable to far gone.
Luckily i had another small frag on the other side of the tank from them and
it is doing good.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick follow up....my Phantoms were too far gone and the one polyp that had a chance is now gone :( The Yellow Bellies with the pox are still looking good and the pox is slowly going away....

aaronlovesshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave this a whirl (Kents variety) w/ some kedds which had not been open for a week. I took the advice of flricordia and did NOT immediately redose (in fact I only dosed once). Yesterday I saw that some of the colony showed signs of beginning to open again. today i saw some polyps open, I will report again later.

Thx for the suggestion. At the very least the treatment for me did not produce negative effects and at best it may have contributed to the revival of a colony.

aaron

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad some of you are having positive results with this. It is scary for me when I do it still but rather than loose the polyps I figure, what the hey, nothing else I have tried works when they are on their way out.
Here is a frag of PE that have taken a nose dive lately. I gave most of the polyps a 1 unit injection yesterday and will wait a few days and see how it goes before doing anything more.
I did shoot a couple of nightmares in the stolonic basal connection though it was difficult since it is so thin but the 3 polyps were all closed due to botched fragging.
Today after getting home from work I had to search around for them because all I could find were 3 fully open polyp where the had sat and I could not accept that these were the ones I had treated, but they were.
Maybe the base is where the injections would benefit the most. I will try it in the PE if no significant improvement in the next few days.

ZIodinesyringe.jpg

ZPEiodine031609treatment.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No change on the last pic but they are still alive. I did inject a couple PPE over a week ago that looked pretty bad. 2 Polyps had started witht he constriction at the top. I am happy to report that one has opened and the last is beginning to open back up. Woohoo!

IMG_7255.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PPEs have made a full recovery and all but one polyp of the PEoA have opened. Will get pics tonight once MH are on.
Also had some PEoAs that disappeared so I injected the remaining mat and now 2 new polyps are growing up from it.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some PEs that had died back while ago. The mat to the right was part of the PE to the left. I injected the mat 2 weeks ago or so and now 2 new polyps are springing up.

IMG_7576A.jpg

And the polyps in the post 3 up. All but one polyp has recovered. I will give it a few more days before injecting again. This will be the 3rd injection. Did another 2 nights ago.
IMG_7590.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last of the polyps is opening up. Gave them total of 3 injections over 2 weeks time.
IMG_7638.jpg

This is them March 16th after beginning treatment of one injection.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW!! Proof is in the pudding! errrr polyp

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They lost color but they also went through a lot. I would say after 3 injections they are completely healed. Now to color back up. PPE are also completely healed.

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full recovery. To cap, these started to die off and after saving a couple other zoanthids from certain doom with iodine injections I tried it on these too.
before

now
iodineinjectionrecovery1.jpg

FiReBReTHa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya allz nuts!

...i might try tomorrow. I have some lugols around here.

ddr_phish

Coral Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well it looks like this is something else i need to add to my assortment of reefing tools. Just to clarify, what quantities are you injecting? Where are you injecting, and what type of Iodine have you used?

kass03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes great thread thanks for posting it.
I would also like to know exactly what you do.
Do you let them in the tank to inject? put them in a bowl? or just take them out and do it?
Do you inject in the middle of the stem?
Are you using Kent marine super iodine suppliment? or Kent marine tech 1 long acting iodine?
Sorry if I missed those answers. I did read the whole thread but have a short memory lol.

You've had awesome results. I don't think it's a fluke this worked.
If anyone is gonna try it I'd suggest using the same kind of iodine. As mentioned before theres many different kinds and concentrations.

kass

Last edited:

xrayrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Boise, idaho. I don't know if different states have different laws, but here you can get them from any pharmacy with no perscription, and no questions asked (Maybe a funny look).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back