OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the concentrated lugols type....would you suggest diluting with some tank water and then injecting??
Maybe someone else can answer this. I have only used the diluted Kent's Iodine/Iodide. It calls for 8 drops per day in a 50gl tank. Don't know what the Lgols consentrate is.

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A insulin syringe comes in 1/2ml and 1ml. The markings on a 1ml insulin syringe would be in 0.02ml increments and the markings on a 1/2 ml insulin syringe would be in 0.01ml increments. They won't look at you funny at the pharmacy counter, b/c illegal drugs are not injected w/ insulin syringes. You usually need to get to a vein not in the skin. :) The needles are very thin either 28 or 30 gauge. Some states require a prescription to get syringes. But most were getting rid of the law, due to the spread of HIV and Hepatitis. Just call your local pharmacy to find out for sure.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone else can answer this. I have only used the diluted Kent's Iodine/Iodide. It calls for 8 drops per day in a 50gl tank. Don't know what the Lgols consentrate is.

Thanks!!!!
I think i will pick up a small bottle of the dilluted stuff...because if that works it will be worth have more of the "magic potion" :tongue:

dustponds10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got some syringes so that I can hopefully help out with this project. Well when ever a sick paly comes along

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tonight the PEoA are still partially closed but theya re looking fuller. I stuck them again, each polyp. Last night I did a single Joker polyp that had not been opening full and tonight it is as open as all the rest.
The Armageddons are now fully healed and I noticed several babies popping out the side.
I am still both baffled and a bit confused by this treatment. Too much Iodine is not good for a system, ye *** is undeniable that the zoanthids I have injected small amounts into have not died, only gotten better.
Now the question arrises, is there actually any iodine in the Kent's Iodide product? Maybe not, maybe so, I guess a test kit is in order to test it. I do not have one for Iodine, but maybe someoen here that has both a test lit and a bottle of the Kent's Iodide could do so and post their results.
Whatever is in the product, and I do hope it is iodide as I would hate to have been pruchasing it for that ingrediant and find out that it in fact does not contain it, is in fact helping the few zoanthids in my collection that have not been doing well.
Hopefully soemone else will also begin this treatment and post any results.

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tropic marin pro coral cure and to answer hypertek's question possibly I believe there is some Iodine in TMPCC

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag of about 20-30 polyps of a pinkish zoas (no name) that are doing very poorly. Initially I was thinking of saving my AoGs, but I wanted to get good by experimenting on the pinks first. It is almost impossible to get AoGs here in Turkey.
I have TMPCC, Lugols + (Kent), walter marine iodine, and red sea success iodine (which I think has iodide).
At first, I couldn't but today I found some syringes. I am going to try out tonite.
Which ones do you think I should use as far solutions go?

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe someone could give us some specifics about dosing and concentration of their iodine soln that they are using.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a frag of about 20-30 polyps of a pinkish zoas (no name) that are doing very poorly. Initially I was thinking of saving my AoGs, but I wanted to get good by experimenting on the pinks first. It is almost impossible to get AoGs here in Turkey.
I have TMPCC, Lugols + (Kent), walter marine iodine, and red sea success iodine (which I think has iodide).
At first, I couldn't but today I found some syringes. I am going to try out tonite.
Which ones do you think I should use as far solutions go?

Keep us posted....i actually picked up the Kent iodide that Flric was using and my diabetic friend gave me 2 needles for this experiment. Tonight i plan to test the water parameters and make sure things are good and then with my point of sale camera (sorry all i got:squigglemouth:) take before, and after pics....i will try to document as best as possible....First frag up will be my Phantoms...some are turning black and whithering away...2 of the polyps are still plump and may have a better chance of survival....and i have another frag that looks like it has pox :squigglemouth:....how contagious is pox?

Also another question for Flric....did you take the frags out of the water for the injection?

Thanks.

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just did it... took the plunge and did it on both my AoG and my pink ones. But couldn't get myself to do it on all the AoGs instead I did like 2 adults and a baby.

I took pics and will try to upload them soon. (my camera is drying right now)

I used the insulin syringe and used Tropic marine Pro Coral Iodine, not pro coral cure or TMPCC.

https://rc.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~category~Tropic_Marin_Pro_Coral_Iodine_50ml_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Additives___Supplements_Iodine___Iodide~vendor~Tropic_Marin~SearchStr~tropic+marine~action~view~idProduct~TP2211~idCategory~FIADII.html

I'll keep you guys posted.

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the bottle give an actual concentration of Iodine? mg/ml or something along that line? A lot of times these products don't which will make it difficult to dose different product based off of one product.

Just based on the dosing info on MD, the Kent product is less concentrated than the TM product. The TM product is Lugol's soln, which is a concentrated product.

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is more concentrated as well. I tried to inject 1 unit, which is 0.01 ml. but sometimes i injected 2 units - the dashes on the syringe was 2 units each.

It just says the iodine in it is I2. But it may give an indication to look at how much it says to dose since most companies would not tell you how much there is of what in their product.
TM Pro-Coral Iodine says to does 1 drop for 50 US gal/200lt. and warns not to exceed 2 drops for 50 gal per day.

I think I may have done more than that, but I did let the frags sit in a small container of tank water for a few mins before I put them back in.

its a tangent, but I had read that it is very easy to overdose on iodine. true?
also a myth perhaps, but I've heard that iodine would make the tentacles of zoas thinner.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, my Arms are acting up now and haven't opened in a few days, so I may be doing somethign soon. I guess I'm on the hunt for some insulin needles. I bet it makes sense to use a different needle for each strain (vein:)) to prevent spreading a bacterial infection, if that's what the issue is.

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right gflat; may sound weird but I was also wondering if it would affect the iodine in the bottle if you have to load the syringe twice - say with 30 or so polyps. I kinda doubt it b/c i'd say iodine would disinfect them.

p.s.> i'm starting to think lugols may be a little overkill. i am not sure how to describe it but it almost seems like there is a balloon forming around the head of the closed polyps.

BenjieC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are right gflat; may sound weird but I was also wondering if it would affect the iodine in the bottle if you have to load the syringe twice - say with 30 or so polyps. I kinda doubt it b/c i'd say iodine would disinfect them.

p.s.> i'm starting to think lugols may be a little overkill. i am not sure how to describe it but it almost seems like there is a balloon forming around the head of the closed polyps.

Yeah the Lugol's is probably too concentrated and probably should be diluted w/ saltwater(?).

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the PEoA are not opening but not dead. I may have overdone it I think with 4 injections in 4 days. I am going to leave them be.
The Armageddons are looking awesome same as the single polyp Joker. The babies/buds on the Arm are about to shoot out tentacles.
I would not inject more than 2 times at the most if you are going to try it out. I did the Arms 2 times, the Joker 1 time. I may have actually done the PEoA 5 times.
Probably way too many. Typical American thing.
As far as Lugols and the other concentrates, you are on your own. lol. I think it would be safe to say that a diluted form is needed and at what rate of dilution is needed for the concentrates...?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back