Crazy thing to do, but hey, it worked. Saved Armageddons

memorisa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree completely. I haven't been able to upload the shots but will do it over the weekend or something; its 1 am here and I gots to go to bed to get up in 5 hrs for werk :(
However, I wanted to give a quick update- that bubble/baloon things are pretty much gone, and the abnormal swelling is gone as well. So maybe I didn't mess up too bad, nevertheless learnt my lesson

(Edit)
P.s.: I hope you guys don't mind me chirping like this instead of posting full updates. I'm new to the site and even newer to the injection concept; so wanted to share my experience and observations and learn as much as I can

Last edited:

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well we tried to find a pharmacy here in Ohio that would sell us a needle. They said they only come in a big box and though the idea sounds really cool, they could not sell them to us. That was at Kroger. At Walgreens they didn't really care what the reason was, they said that they would only sell it if we told them what type of insulin we use and had an ID. They said it's not illegal to sell needs in Ohio, just that the store's policy is not to. I don't know how to go about getting these needles...

Last edited:

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... but could it be that you are just inflating the polyps when you inject it and this causes them to open. You put some pressure inside of it and it opens to dissipate the pressure?? While they are open they are getting light and nutrients and don't melt away? This is just a thought. I would be interested to see if the results are the same if you just inject with tank water. would make a nice little experiment.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some insulin needles... My wife called a guy she works with to ask him about getting the needles (he worked as a pharmacy tech and his mom is the pharmacist at the the nearest pharmacy). He told my wife that if you ran into someone somewhat freesh out of pharmacy school, you might have trouble, as they will assume you are a druggie, regardless (youth ignorance and naiveté are hard thigns to break without years under your belt, I guess). His mom wasn't working, so, of course, I got a green phamracist who kinda looked disgusted when I asked for them. I told her I was looking for 25-28 gauge. She said she'd have to check their stock and see if there were any 'surpluses' to be able to seel me some. After milling around for 10 minutes or so (phone calls, entries into the system), she finally said, all I can sell you are these and threw a 10 pack of 31 gauge needles on the counter and walked off. I figure she thought she'd spoil my drug abuse plan by giving me much smaller needles:D. I'll just go back when my wife's friend's mom is working and ge what I want form her, if these don't work. He mentioned a 100 pack for like 5 bucks (these 10 were $3).

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... but could it be that you are just inflating the polyps when you inject it and this causes them to open. You put some pressure inside of it and it opens to dissipate the pressure?? While they are open they are getting light and nutrients and don't melt away? This is just a thought. I would be interested to see if the results are the same if you just inject with tank water. would make a nice little experiment.
Good thought but the ones I have injected took a couple days to open. I think it is the medicinal properties of the iodine. It is known that iodine will help to heal zoanthids. That is the main ingredient in coral dips. I dip all my zoas in Iodine after fragging and they heal within a day. Before I started dipping them they sometimes did not heal and those that did took a long time. Now if I do a bad cut they can take a few more days, but in all honesty, I have only lost one zoanthid colony I have fragged in a long time and that was becasue I really botched the fragging.
Try it yourself. Do a clean fragging of a zoanthid colony, dip some of them and the others just place back in the tank and see which ones heal/open quicker.
And besides. you can't inflate a zoanthid. Yo can inject liquid into it, but it will not inflate. It will more than likely deflate for a time.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay folks i finally got around to giving this a shot. Got my kents iodide and the needles. I also took some pics so that you can see where i started and eventually see where i end up which i am hoping back to full health. The first frag are Phantoms...these guys didnt do well from the start and i have had them from roughly 1 week. 1 or 2 polyps opened slightly but the rest stayed closed for days and are getting worse. From the pics you can see how 1 polyp still has a chance plump, the rest 4 to 5 are turning black and getting smaller. I injected all the polyps and noticed that the good polyp seemed to hold the liquid while the other bad polyps seemed to seap out....right now i am hoping that the one polyp will survive since i dont think the others have a chance.
Good polyps upper right
P1010024-1.jpg

P1010025.jpg

Next up is my Yellow Bellies frag. This frag seems very healthy but i noticed that a couple of the polyps were stuggling to open. Upon further investigation i found zoa pox! Now my tank was disease free before i bought these frags so it is defintely sad but this frag seems like it will benefit the most from the injections. All the polyps are big and plump (pre injection). I injected all the polyps and within an hour a few were already opening back up....i will check them later after work to see the progress and decide whether i will do another injection today or maybe wait until tomorrow (same goes from the Phantoms).
Here is the frag hard to see but there are white spots...
P1010033.jpg

Finally i got smart and took pics out of the water...apparently my point of sale camera does little bit better this way! Notice the pox!
P1010034.jpg

P1010035.jpg

I will try to update later today....the weekend i usually am away from the computer but i will try....thanks

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Sorry to take over with pics but i was very excited when i got home today...First the one/two polyps on the phantoms that had the best chance of survival had made a dramatic change....the black ones still look crappy but at least the plump one looks like it will rebound...it even looked like it was trying to open....Second my Yellow Bellies which were healthier are showing signs of growing stronger....they are opened wider and colors brighter..the pox are still there but look a little less prominent....i have decided to wait until tomorrow or Sunday and see how they fair...if the continue to improve then no more doses....if the same i will dose and of course if worse definitely dose!
Heres the pics what do you think:

P1010046.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010054.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great. I would caution about dosing more than 2 times. Those that I did 1 and 2 times are all doing great and fully opened. Those I did more than that are not doing well at all. I think I did them 5 times.

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skeered

wow, took me a lot of courage to vodka dose, now the thought of shooting up my zoas? I have a nice rock of radioactives that refuse to open. I've moved them all over looking for their lighting needs, 2 x dips (20 minutes furan-2, then 20 minutes ligols) still no open (they seem to be trying, then ugh) I do have a bottle of Aquavitro Vibrance (iodine) So you are saying I might have success taking a syringe (I have one from aiptasia x) and injecting some iodine into the stem? I guess I could try on a polpy or 2. Is this kind of what is being said?

thx

Tj

Note.....aptasia needles are to dull, will have to find a street person and borrow their's

Last edited:
OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, took me a lot of courage to vodka dose, now the thought of shooting up my zoas? I have a nice rock of radioactives that refuse to open. I've moved them all over looking for their lighting needs, 2 x dips (20 minutes furan-2, then 20 minutes ligols) still no open (they seem to be trying, then ugh) I do have a bottle of Aquavitro Vibrance (iodine) So you are saying I might have success taking a syringe (I have one from aiptasia x) and injecting some iodine into the stem? I guess I could try on a polpy or 2. Is this kind of what is being said?

thx

Tj

Note.....aptasia needles are to dull, will have to find a street person and borrow their's

I don't have a clue about that kind of Iodine or the syringe you are talking about so can't give you any info on using them.

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a clue about that kind of Iodine or the syringe you are talking about so can't give you any info on using them.

The iodine is a product of seachem in the Aquavitro line, the syringe came with a bottle of aiptasia X and is very dull so it won't penetrate the zoa's stem

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started injecting Kent's Iodide last night. We have a frag of 8 or so polyps of some fake jokers from a dude that have not been doing well. The most we have ever seen open is 2 polyps. I came home from work tonight and found all but one polyp at least partially open. I didn't have high hopes for this to tell you the truth, but wow what a difference so far!

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started injecting Kent's Iodide last night. We have a frag of 8 or so polyps of some fake jokers from a dude that have not been doing well. The most we have ever seen open is 2 polyps. I came home from work tonight and found all but one polyp at least partially open. I didn't have high hopes for this to tell you the truth, but wow what a difference so far!
Awesome! Are you doing just the one time injection or at least going to wait a few days between? I would suggest once each week. I do believe I went overboard with it and probably only needed one time.
Still to date, the Arms and Joker are doing fine. Fully open.
THe PEoA lost. Did too many times.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys and gals make sure and link your friends and other forums here to tell them about this procedure.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Are you doing just the one time injection or at least going to wait a few days between? I would suggest once each week. I do believe I went overboard with it and probably only needed one time.
Still to date, the Arms and Joker are doing fine. Fully open.
THe PEoA lost. Did too many times.

*clears throat and gets deep voice to sound like kev2me* I stuck the one polyp that didn't open on the faux jokers again last night. We'll see how it looks tonight. I also stuck another polyp that did not open after being stuck the first time, a second time. I stuck a few other zoas that are iffy like our purple deaths. That will be the first time for those. I also tried sticking some leathers that got in a fight and are starting to wither. We'll see how it goes! I won't stick them anymore. If in a week those other ones aren't looking better I'll repeat.

aaronlovesshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought some Kent's and needles and stuck some Kedd's that wont open and seem to be shrinking (pesky Sexy Shrimp) I stuck them this morning w/ the .3 ml syringe. So Far nothing has opened, I will stick them again tomorrow afternoon. Here's to hoping. ;)

RaysReef

Shazaam Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if an iodine dip would work just as good? Let them sit in there for 15 mins. or so.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought some Kent's and needles and stuck some Kedd's that wont open and seem to be shrinking (pesky Sexy Shrimp) I stuck them this morning w/ the .3 ml syringe. So Far nothing has opened, I will stick them again tomorrow afternoon. Here's to hoping. ;)
You should give it a couple days before trying it again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back