Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Almost a full ml of 8.25% chlorox it wiped out all amphipods and copepods after a week. had to stop cause the nitrate shot up to 60-80ppm and my red monti started turning white after the third week.

What were the nitrates before you started and remind me on total water volume plz? I think the monti will recover, I had something similar, are you feeding the corals or adding any other additives?

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon evolve 4 gallon tank and nitrates were 5ppm before i dosed. I feed 1-50 micron powdered food 2 times a week and amino acids single dose split in half 2 times a week. A single clown fed barely a pinch once a day

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well an update for me. Again I am only seeing the dinos (a lot) under the microscope, nothing visual in the tank outside of some small dark brown hair algae patches on the back wall. No bubbles, strands, etc... I am going to stop with the h2o2 treatment for now as I am not seeing results under the microscope. I went ahead and ordered the vibrant today and will try it out. Has anyone that has started the vibrant seen results on the dinos (Ostreopsis in my case) either visually in the tank or better yet under the microscope?

Svet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 month Nuvo 40g AIO mixed reef and have been battling Ostreopsis dinos since 6 months. Dinos were mostly on glass and chaeto in display but also had long strings coming from some corals which I removed daily. NO3 was 5ppm and PO4 0.01-0.02ppm. Only algae I could see was brown hair (I think Ectocarpus) and diatoms. I stopped water changes and tried 1.5:10 H2O2, 3 day blackout, 10 micron sock, Rox carbon, MB7, Stability and dirty method (overfeeding, live phyto and Tisbe pods) with some success. Now I can only see the dinos under the microscope, no strings visually. GHA and small spots of cyano started showing up. NO3 rose to 18-24ppm and PO4 to 0.02-0.06ppm.

The most interesting part is after I removed my old dino infested chaeto and bought a new ball to place in my display tank to lower NO3, dino strings started appearing again within 2 days - only on the top layer of chaeto. Millions of Ostreopsis cells under the scope multiplying with each day. I did check the chaeto under the scope before I placed it and there weren't any dinos. I threw away the ball. I thought chaeto was supposed to help outcompete the dino for trace nutrients but I guess there is more to the story. My theory is dino somehow extracted iron and other trace elements from the chaeto.

I bought a bottle of Vibrant and dosed last night for the first time - hopefully will stop seeing dinos under the scope in couple of weeks.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 month Nuvo 40g AIO mixed reef and have been battling Ostreopsis dinos since 6 months. Dinos were mostly on glass and chaeto in display but also had long strings coming from some corals which I removed daily. NO3 was 5ppm and PO4 0.01-0.02ppm. Only algae I could see was brown hair (I think Ectocarpus) and diatoms. I stopped water changes and tried 1.5:10 H2O2, 3 day blackout, 10 micron sock, Rox carbon, MB7, Stability and dirty method (overfeeding, live phyto and Tisbe pods) with some success. Now I can only see the dinos under the microscope, no strings visually. GHA and small spots of cyano started showing up. NO3 rose to 18-24ppm and PO4 to 0.02-0.06ppm.

The most interesting part is after I removed my old dino infested chaeto and bought a new ball to place in my display tank to lower NO3, dino strings started appearing again within 2 days - only on the top layer of chaeto. Millions of Ostreopsis cells under the scope multiplying with each day. I did check the chaeto under the scope before I placed it and there weren't any dinos. I threw away the ball. I thought chaeto was supposed to help outcompete the dino for trace nutrients but I guess there is more to the story. My theory is dino somehow extracted iron and other trace elements from the chaeto.

I bought a bottle of Vibrant and dosed last night for the first time - hopefully will stop seeing dinos under the scope in couple of weeks.

Dosed vibrant three days ago. No change yet. Nothing. Will dose twice per week

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosed vibrant three days ago. No change yet. Nothing. Will dose twice per week

Thanks for the update.

I'm not too optimistic on this stuff eradicating all forms of dinos, hair algae, bubble algae, cyno-bacteria, turf algae, diatoms, bryopsis and somehow not affecting anything else? Seems like the perfect easy cure everyone is looking for. At least one of the reviews I've read on their website is suspect, said they accidentally overdosed this and all hair algae was completely gone in 24 hours and everything else in the tank was unaffected.

Can't fool the microscope.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update.

I'm not too optimistic on this stuff eradicating all forms of dinos, hair algae, bubble algae, cyno-bacteria, turf algae, diatoms, bryopsis and somehow not affecting anything else? Seems like the perfect easy cure everyone is looking for. At least one of the reviews I've read on their website is suspect, said they accidentally overdosed this and all hair algae was completely gone in 24 hours and everything else in the tank was unaffected.

Can't fool the microscope.

I agree. Lots of people claim they beat dinos. But many do not have a microscope. In my book you only beat them if you see nothing under microscope.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree. Lots of people claim they beat dinos. But many do not have a microscope. In my book you only beat them if you see nothing under microscope.

Respectfully, I have to disagree. There are thousands of documented species of dinos. Not all dinos are same, some are photosynthetic, some are non-toxic. You can say you beat dinos if for example you know you have a non-toxic easy to beat species, and you got rid of enough of them to be able to sustain positive fauna in the system that will then take care of the remaining 5% for you.

Maksim in your case you have Ostreopsis, which yes even a single cell can bring an infestation back. So lets not generalize all dinos out there as one. I have treated many systems with other species of dinos, as soon as I don't see visual signs anymore, I consider them beat. Thy have not come back yet.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How to deal with fish that come from a dino infected system, vectoring, hasn't had any work done in the hobby and needs to. People sterilize or start over with the hard scape but fish are the same as injecting old water into the new tank bypassing all isolation attempts.

DNA, the starter of the reef central/Chem forum/among largest dino threads has shown hi-res macro pics of fish slime coats housing them for moves into the new tank.

This demonstrates an infection mode independent of dinos measured in free water or visually seen, this is a serious vector that controlling the organism will require. Some form of new qt procedure, has to have time to slough off before the display tank

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How to deal with fish that come from a dino infected system, vectoring, hasn't had any work done in the hobby and needs to. People sterilize or start over with the hard scape but fish are the same as injecting old water into the new tank bypassing all isolation attempts.

DNA, the starter of the reef central/Chem forum/among largest dino threads has shown hi-res macro pics of fish slime coats housing them for moves into the new tank.

This demonstrates an infection mode independent of dinos measured in free water or visually seen, this is a serious vector that controlling the organism will require. Some form of new qt procedure, has to have time to slough off before the display tank

Brandon, that's what Maksim is trying right now with hypo-salinity. In just sample tests, Ostreopsis did not survive in 1.012, Maksim lowered his fish system to that salinity and is keeping fish there for a month.

@maksim serebro, I don't recall but is this the same system you are adding (or panning to add) Vibrant to?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All about the proper balance. I went and bought my first 2 sps corals. Thinking I needed to have super clean water I dropped my po4 to .009 per ULR hanna. 0 nitrates. My dinos that I have not seen in months took over with in a week. All pods are gone and some snails died. I went ahead removed all the sand again, and shut my skimmer off and added live bacteria and pods. With what ever sand I had left nothing has appeared back. I starved the good algea and pods to the point that dinos were not longer under control. On my way to bringing my po4 back up a bit to .02-.04. For some reason I became to over cautious thinking the sps wouldn't do good. Nitrates are on their way up some as well. Sps are doing great all polyps are open and some algea is growing back.

Imo all about the balance. And I have very toxic dinos.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully, I have to disagree. There are thousands of documented species of dinos. Not all dinos are same, some are photosynthetic, some are non-toxic. You can say you beat dinos if for example you know you have a non-toxic easy to beat species, and you got rid of enough of them to be able to sustain positive fauna in the system that will then take care of the remaining 5% for you.

Maksim in your case you have Ostreopsis, which yes even a single cell can bring an infestation back. So lets not generalize all dinos out there as one. I have treated many systems with other species of dinos, as soon as I don't see visual signs anymore, I consider them beat. Thy have not come back yet.

I stand corrected, i was in fact referring to the toxic species like osteopsis. I didn't state that but in my mind was thinking it

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if hard coral can transfer them if removed from frag plugs and only the coral transferred?

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with both statements as what is being argued is subjective.

I personaly have not beat dinos. They are in my tank. Many kinds of them. Some good and a beneficial part of the phytoplankton and at least one bad. The bad one I don't even have an exact ID. I have a suspicion of what family its in but not a positive ID. I do know its very hardy and persistent.

Am I worried about it though? Nope. Normally I don't see it at all. So, some may see it as I've beat it. But at any time the balance is tipped I know it will show up. I even know how to force it to come out of hiding.

I personally would not say something is beat just because it can't be seen.

Like the saying the battle was won but not the war.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if hard coral can transfer them if removed from frag plugs and only the coral transferred?
Do I categorically know that sps can transfer Dino's...no I don't. I know where I'd edge my bets though. If a single gain of sand contains just one cyst, or droplet of water contains just one free swimmer.

All I know is this, if Dino's and aiptasia were beautiful prized additions to the aquarium. You would only ever need to buy one frag. As no matter what come of that aquarium from sloppy or accidental keeping it would simply thrive.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been over feeding again on top of my already heavy feeding schedule to spur some cyano and dino growth. I want to culture and get some dinos to observe with that vibrant stuff. May do another thread like the metro dosing thread so its easier for me to track. Not sure yet.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what a credibility boosting response there nvladik (for them, on top of 30 rolling pages of praise lol)

im amazed by the collective findings across headache genera. could be a peroxide killer heh.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what a credibility boosting response there nvladik (for them, on top of 30 rolling pages of praise lol)

im amazed by the collective findings across headache genera. could be a peroxide killer heh.

One of the reasons I didn't want to post anything sooner, I wanted to see some results first. If you know my posts on dinos, I am usually the first to say wait, don't declare victory yet, they often come back. That's why I know my system is still infected, I know how to find them. But considering all that, 32oz bottle of Vibrant is $30 + shipping, I have a 135g tank with a 30g tank, I am dosing 13ml assuming for less water volume due to sand/rock, I am at .75 of a bottle if I dose weekly for a year? So $20 a year to keep em in check, I can live with that in all honesty. My electricity bill just to keep the thing warm is 5x that monthly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back