Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

The new additive Vibrant is worth testing, see details above for dinos. A repeatable, pan species cure for dinos will be the best reefing innovation ive ever seen. Some of these SPS tanks posting are ten grand easy... whats seven bucks as a possible alternative seems easy to test here in this thread.

Twilliard, I guess nothing would be neater than to see what this dilution ratio of Vibrance does under the scope on live cells. The company should hook you up imo.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
http://reef2reef.com/threads/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner-discussion-thread.271428/

The new additive Vibrant is worth testing, see details above for dinos. A repeatable, pan species cure for dinos will be the best reefing innovation ive ever seen. Some of these SPS tanks posting are ten grand easy... whats seven bucks as a possible alternative seems easy to test here in this thread.

Twilliard, I guess nothing would be neater than to see what this dilution ratio of Vibrance does under the scope on live cells. The company should hook you up imo.

I've sent a PM to Jeff... will share what I learn from it... will do scope work too when I get my hands on some.

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found these two while looking at some diatoms today. They have swimming motion by tumbling like a paddle wheel. I have a short video showing this but need to figure out how to get the file size down to post it.

They have not become an outbreak and not visible in the tank... yet.

Dinoflagellates?

dino (Small).jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have found these two while looking at some diatoms today. They have swimming motion by tumbling like a paddle wheel. I have a short video showing this but need to figure out how to get the file size down to post it.

Dinoflagellates?

dino (Small).jpg

Yes unfortunately, Ostreopsis.

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we say toxic --- break down the tank or is it worth it to attempt treatment?

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When we say toxic --- break down the tank or is it worth it to attempt treatment?

toxic - can be harmful to your livestock and to you personally if inhaled, ingested.

you can try treatment, bleach treatment mentioned in this thread seems to work.

DVR question for you - how did you find it if it's not visible in the tank? Seems like a very lucky sample. I would watch the tank very closely when lights are on, do you see any tiny strings with air bubbles?

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some brown filamentous type algae coming and going on my back wall in the upper half. No bubbles. Took a sample of that and noticed these interspersed throughout, along with diatom. I also have some limited diatom in the sand so they may be there as well, will need to take a few more samples. Just looked back at the slide I found these on and they are numerous...

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dinoflagellates?

dino (Small).jpg

Exactly what I have. 7 months later still cannot get rid of them. If you have little life stock get rid of all and restart. New fish and rock and corals

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I went ahead and re-started consistent h2o2 dosing this morning. I doubled the dose from my previous 1ml per 10 gallons 2x daily to 2ml per 10 gallons 2x daily. Reading through this thread I see some success with bleach (chlorine) so I don't see why h2o2 would not do the same job? Both being oxidizers what would make bleach more effective?

So far though I've only observed some small patches of filamentous like algae on my back wall that I suspected was diatom and is why I looked via the scope. Was surprised to see the dinos. The tank looks great other than that and good sps growth. I'm wondering if these dinos may be present in more tanks than realized and never discovered because they may not get out of control. Most likely wishful thinking..

Here is a picture of a new back-wall scrape. I believe the hair part of the algae is a form of diatoms. The dinos seem to be floating around within the diatoms but do not seem to be attached to each other. This sample was taken 2 hours after an in-tank dose of h2o2. Note the white nodules on some of them. I wonder if that could be damage from the h2o2?

dinos2 (Small).jpg

DVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 hour after second dose.

More pronounced white nodules and a few of the dinos are not symmetrical?

dino3 (Small).jpg

Last edited:

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone here be Interested in taking a look under their microscope to Identify if what I have is actually dinos and not something else?
@twilliard

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would be interested to put some of that under the scope. But my understanding is the bacteria will not attack the dinoflagelets directly. They are supposed to out compete the dinos and other nuisances.

I would be more interested in comparing it to the other bacteria in a bottle products I've looked at.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/our-tanks-biology-up-close.239838/page-19

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be interested to put some of that under the scope. But my understanding is the bacteria will not attack the dinoflagelets directly. They are supposed to out compete the dinos and other nuisances.

I would be more interested in comparing it to the other bacteria in a bottle products I've looked at.

http://reef2reef.com/threads/our-tanks-biology-up-close.239838/page-19

I am going to put it under the scope, but not as a single exercise. Dino sample is going into a separate container, right dose of vibrant will be added and I will check samples under the scope daily.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back