Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read the first few pages of this thread? ;)
yes, i didn't say what i wanted to say correctly.
i had looked at it initially, i guess i was wondering how many scoops come in one container. since i have 150 gallons ill be treating, i need to figure out how much to buy for 3 days or 10 days of treatment.

Last edited:

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For larger quantities of metro, you can get it from Jehmco. You have to fill out an agreement form stating you won't use it on fish for human consumption, but the process is pretty quick and they have the best prices for metro.

For the pods, I got the 5280 from algaebarn. I also got the phyto but am not sure if I needed to or not. BTW, look for the new customer pop-up on their website (it's buy 1 get 1 free). Also I wouldn't add the pods until after the metro and H2O2 dosing.

Last edited:

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For larger quantities of metro, you can get it from Jehmco. You have to fill out an agreement form stating you won't use it on fish for human consumption, but the process is pretty quick and they have the best prices for metro.

For the pods, I got the 5280 from algaebarn. I also got the phyto but am not sure if I needed to or not. BTW, look for the new customer pop-up on their website (it's buy 1 get 1 free). Also I wouldn't add the pods until after the metro and H2O2 dosing.
yes i did see that pop up, that will be very helpful. the local store has the 5grams for 8$

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I quarantined the fishes how do I cure them from Dino

You can try hypo-salinity, very slowly lower your salinity to 1.010 and leave it there for a few weeks. Then slowly raise it back up. Lower salinity by like .002 per day, so should take a week to get down to that level and a week to get back up. Do some research and make sure your fish can take that low salinity.

You might not even need to go that low, 1.014 might do the trick.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try hypo-salinity, very slowly lower your salinity to 1.010 and leave it there for a few weeks. Then slowly raise it back up. Lower salinity by like .002 per day, so should take a week to get down to that level and a week to get back up. Do some research and make sure your fish can take that low salinity.

You might not even need to go that low, 1.014 might do the trick.
Is there a reason to quarantine them f you are treating the whole tank? Store guy said just treat the tank as it sits, leave everything in

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a reason to quarantine them f you are treating the whole tank? Store guy said just treat the tank as it sits, leave everything in

twilliard showed in his testing that invertebrates can take higher dose of bleach than fish. So if you separate, you can dose more bleach in the reef to kill dynos, and then slowly guarantee fish won't bring them back later.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
twilliard showed in his testing that invertebrates can take higher dose of bleach than fish. So if you separate, you can dose more bleach in the reef to kill dynos, and then slowly guarantee fish won't bring them back later.
Gotcha. I'll use the metro and dose it all. Certainly don't have a qt big enough for all the fish

Hethari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost chromis and six line with bleach so I stop and qt fishes I don't want to loose my tangs I love them

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished beating all manner of cyano/dyno.

Do i get a t-shirt?

Screenshot_20161005-230022.png

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's the before shot? What did you do to beat them?

I was frankly too embarrassed to take a before shot.

1) Removed and cleaned every rock in the tank (took all day..i had to set uo a 40g tank with the exact Specific gravity, alk, and ca so as not to kill anything in the wash.
2) started changing filter socks q2 days.
3) Stopped water changes (my city water has high nitrates at 2.0 on a red sea pro kit (tank water is 0.25 or less...so when i did a water change i was ADDING nitrates).
4)Shortened my photo period
5) Removed the reds and green spectrums from the majority of my photo period
6)Feed 30% less (most days, not always)
7)Removed biopellets
8) Removed most of the gfo
9) Added an ozone reactor [i have it set to even higher than recommended levels ..its a posiden (from brs) unit hook to a geos reef reactor (direct from geos reef)) I know ozone doesn't sterilize as well as uv but there is no way any organisms are coming out of my reactor alive with the levels im running....and it cycles 240gallons per hour. Added benifit...crystal clear water....the corals i have up high are getting darn near the exact lighting as the claim on the bottom...
10)Added a sulfur denitrator (Aquamax TS-2) (from marine depot) The rumors are true. These work. Easy to set up and almost maintenance free. You just run a nitrate test on the effluent once in a while and adjust the feed pump accordingly. Media last about 2 years. I suspect this is part of the reason tank is consuming more alk but since i already had 2 part running...this is easy to adjust for.
11)Started adding rapid growing corals (giant claim went in yesterday).
12)Religiously change gac q2 weeks
13)Increased mg to 1400
14)Increased ca to 440
15)Run alk at 9 (ph stays above 8.2 almost all the time now).
16)Manually brush away any algae at the first sign of build up (once a week procedure that includes some general rock cleaning).
17)I run all circulating pumps at 100% for about 10 to 15 min once a day...i call it "the storm".

18) As of yesterday, added more live rock....im gonna make it so that you eventually cant see the back wall and am considering adding marine pure to my sump.
19) Serviced my ROdi system will all new prefilters, carbon blocks and di resins.

For some strange reason, my skimmer will not run without overflowing since ive done all this so im actually not skimming any more....

Thats about it.....

Last edited:

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cannot seem to beat them. Tried so far metro porexide bleach algaefix. Lights off for two weeks. Lost tons of corals and some fish. Looked good for three weeks and yesterday saw a few under a microscope. It's only a matter of time before they blossom.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just cannot seem to beat them. Tried so far metro porexide bleach algaefix. Lights off for two weeks. Lost tons of corals and some fish. Looked good for three weeks and yesterday saw a few under a microscope. It's only a matter of time before they blossom.

Can you post a picture of the tank and give a good closeup of the scourge @maksim serebro serebro? You might need a different tactic:0)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back