Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed metronidazole at 250mg/10 gallons daily for 10 days and it cured my Dino problem...hooray!
But by day 8 I had an RTN event that killed all of my SPS within 3 days...moan!
I can't blame anything but the treatment for this, so proceed with caution. All of the corals were doing well till this happened and parameters have, and continue to be rock solid stable. SG 1.025, ph8.0,ca405,dKH 8.0,po4 0.04, nitrate<1,mag 1380.temp 80.

Same thing happened to me, but my p04 spiked, interesting to see yours didn't.

wranodj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this Dino? If so, you can have some if you like. Following along for the cure.

135 gal/40 gal sump
100 lbs rock (50% live rock)

image.jpeg

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 days of dosing 0.3-0.5ml 2x daily in a 4 gallon nano and dinos disappeared but after I removed activated carbon.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I first tried h202, chemiclean, red slime remover, and rip cleaned 3x before trying bleach. What worked for me is removing the activated carbon and boom dinos start disappearing with bleach. I added 5ml of coral exponential from continuum to see if i can excite a bloom and so far nothing

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the bleach with carbon doesn't work. Looks like tried most things. Bleach is drastic but sometimes we have to take drastic measures:9( Good luck with getting them darn dinos!:)

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...yeah this dino crap is a nightmare it practically killed everything except fish. Monti caps, tri color valida, ora birdsnest and half my zoa frags all died. So, once I'm sure it's gone back to restocking i guess.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me, but my p04 spiked, interesting to see yours didn't.

I finally got some extra test kits and it looks like I have an ammonia spike and detectable nitrites. The tank has be up for 9 months. So, the metronidale damaged my bio filter, hence the RTN. I'm doing water changes and adding Prime to cope.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! So....I am still so cautious to declare victory....but things are definitely looking up. First...after cleaning out the algae scrubber last weekend....there is some really bright green new algae growing strong and fast. Second, my cyno is breaking down nicely. I am not really doing anything other than let it die off. Third, I have done multiple samples from the display, sump and scrubber and I can find no signs of DINOs. The last time...when I manually removed cyno....the DINOs bloomed. It is not happening thus far.

My surviving fish seem to be doing great. My coral seems to all be doing fine.

Here is a pic of the full display.
f51c192c871d317231f1522e830e80b0.jpg

Tomorrow I am heading to one of my favorite stores to pick up some new coral and fish. My hope is things continue to get better with time ...and I can get this tank back in gear!

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, time for me to weigh in with an update. I did the initial 3-day metro dosing and waiting the however many days (was it 10?) after with daily removals. It did seem to clear things up a bit, but they always came back, though never as bad as before I started. I let it go maybe a month after this with daily removals and things did not get better. Then I did a 10-day regiment of H2O2 2x daily, which again, not sure if it helped (as it never helped before), but continued with daily manual removal and then I added some pods. This may have been the tipping point in outcompeting and killing off the dinos, as I started getting less and less in my manual removals. Then I started to get a little bit of cyano (which I took as a good sign in that the dinos were dying off). I did one bout of chemiclean and things looked good. I then added even more pods and no longer needed to do manual removals. A little bit of cyano came back a few weeks later and I did another round of chemiclean a few weeks ago. Things have never looked so good in my tank! I sent twilliard a water sample and he said he saw no dinos! He did note that my biological life was limited probably due to my H2O2 dosing and 2 rounds of chemiclean. I'm considering dosing some Dr. Tims to help build my bacterial population back up. Nitrates are a little high (25 ppm) whereas they are normally around (2.5-5 ppm), which kind of confirms the lack of biological life. Pictures to come.

Again, thanks twilliard for all your work on battling these dinos. I still believe the initial metro dosing helped kickstart all of this. Although not completely effective alone, after another round of H2O2 and adding pods, it seemed to eradicate them in my tank.

With the H2o2 dosing, did you cut the lights? remove the carbon? my tank looks just like yours does and its driving me insane.

really unsure about dosing bleach...

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off carbon during H2O2 dosing and during metro dosing. I kept my lighting schedule the same. I did not want to do a blackout. For me, I think what led to success was the 3 days of dosing metro, daily manual removals with turkey baster and filter socks, 10 days of H2O2 dosing 2x day with continued daily removals, followed by addition of lots of pods. Biologically it seems to make sense as the metro limits their reproduction ability, combined with the daily removals knocks back their populations. They came back possibly due to them encysting or incomplete removal, so further killing by H2O2 and manual removals continues to knock back their populations, then the pods outcompeting them was the final punch for these guys, knock on wood.

Last edited:

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned off carbon during H2O2 dosing and during metro dosing. I kept my lighting schedule the same. I did not want to do a blackout. For me, I think what led to success was the 3 days of dosing metro, daily manual removals with turkey baster and filter socks, 10 days of H2O2 dosing 2x day with continued daily removals, followed by addition of lots of pods. Biologically it seems to make sense as the metro makes them unable to reproduce, combined with the daily removals, combined with further killing by H2O2, knocked back their populations, then the pods outcompeting them was the final punch for these guys, knock on wood.
metro dosing...ill have to look that up as i don't know what it is.
guess i need to search online for somewhere with the cheapest pods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back