Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct domination2580. Bleach does work for killing Dino's, I know as I've done it. Again, my 2 cents is not to use bleach on fish, BTA's, etc. First. That's what our Convo was about[emoji6]. I'm not and never have disputed bleach; it effectively can kill Dino's.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct domination2580. Bleach does work for killing Dino's, I know as I've done it. Again, my 2 cents is not to use bleach on fish, BTA's, etc. First. That's what our Convo was about[emoji6]. I'm not and never have disputed bleach; it effectively can kill Dino's.
I agree with the fish part! Glad to see you don't have dinos! How long till you started seeing reduction?

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you agree with the fish, etc part. If I remember correctly, I did 2 bleach treatments, if not then it was 3 treatments. The successful treatment I saw the morning of day 3 a big reduction in dinos. I used 2 treatments on day 3 and have not seen a sign of dinos since. Thereafter it was Cyano from hell.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you agree with the fish, etc part. If I remember correctly, I did 2 bleach treatments, if not then it was 3 treatments. The successful treatment I saw the morning of day 3 a big reduction in dinos. I used 2 treatments on day 3 and have not seen a sign of dinos since. Thereafter it was Cyano from hell.
What do you mean treatments? Doses or days? I'm assuming you did 3 days of bleach dosing? Imean on day three and still a decent amount of dinos. What ml did you use?

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 2 or 3, three-day treatments. I don't recall the ml used/treatment when it finally killed all dinos. I know it was different than most use... Sorry, I'm old and don't remember.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, would it be an option to remove fish, and do a fw dip on the fish. Wont that go through the gills and kill any dinos instead of risking the bleach. It seems fish are at the biggest risk? Unless fw dips arent as effective?
A FW dip definitely can be an option.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...some reason I've dosed 2 tines for 3 days and still visible
that surprises me.. because mine was gone...only thing i did was brush them off..never seen another string... I have a rock that is about 5 inches below HOB refug...that i get surface bubbles on..but samples from that rock..show no dinos....I did couple of half doses on day 4 an 5..but just because i dont want them back.. maybe.. I know that dont answer why you still have them..

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using 1ml per 10 gallons. Might have to increase...might give it a break after today. It will be the 4th day...
I use 1ml per 10gallon for h202... but for bleach with no fish....1 ml per 10 gallon...should kick its butt...but would kill any fish i would think.. might want to see if @twilliard can chime in..

ProjectAnemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was following this thread for a while. I ordered the Metro, and while awaiting it's arrival I added fresh carbon and GFO. I then left for the weekend. I came home to brown tank (10x2x1 tub ~150g). I had the flow rate on my GFO so I high that I atomized it into the tank. Took 100's of gals of water changes. Changed filter socks twice a day for a month. The end result was a dino free system. Checking my receipt for the Metro, the tank has remained clear since June 2016. Not saying it's a cure, but this unintentional screw-up worked for me. Now I have metro for sale.....

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back