Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today right after bleach dosing the first dose.
20170127_131315.jpeg
20170127_131318.jpeg
20170127_131321.jpeg
20170127_131324.jpeg
20170127_131326.jpeg
20170127_131330.jpeg
20170127_131333.jpeg

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here for what it's worth. I've been keeping fish well over 30 years. I have had dinos once, which was enough. I tried everything and my last resort was to dose bleach. It worked, with kudos to Todd which I cannot thank enough! After the dinos were gone, I got cyano from hell, really. So, here's my 2 cents.......

DO NOT DOSE Bleach with FISH and Other sensitive inverts like snails, shrimp, BTA's, etc!!!! I believe we should treat fish and other aquaria with as much respect as possible and using bleach, coral dips, etc is Not doing that! Just because a fish, snail, BTA, etc does not die in a dose or More, the bleach (etc) is HARMING them!

I removed my fish and other sensitive life while dosing bleach, coral dip, etc... Why? Bleach will burn gills and other sensitive tissues/organs and who knows what else?!; coral dips say for coral use only-for a reason! Those fish, snails, BTA's continue to be healthy and happy! I especially believe the fish and BTA's will live long, healthy lives. When I returned the fish, BTA's, snails, etc to the tank, the dinos did not return and I have had NO sign(s) of dino's! I hope everyone here will understand that I have the health and well-being of our aquaria as top priority....

Note; I did use a natural additive to the tank that held the fish,etc. I'm not saying whether it did or did not kill any dinos on the fish, snails, etc. What I am saying though is you can re-introduce them into the tank and NOT have Dinos return. I base my opinion on what I did and that the tank was again in very good condition (nitrogen cycle, copepods, etc).....

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here for what it's worth. I've been keeping fish well over 30 years. I have had dinos once, which was enough. I tried everything and my last resort was to dose bleach. It worked, with kudos to Todd which I cannot thank enough! After the dinos were gone, I got cyano from hell, really. So, here's my 2 cents.......

DO NOT DOSE Bleach with FISH and Other sensitive inverts like snails, shrimp, BTA's, etc!!!! I believe we should treat fish and other aquaria with as much respect as possible and using bleach, coral dips, etc is Not doing that! Just because a fish, snail, BTA, etc does not die in a dose or More, the bleach (etc) is HARMING them!

I removed my fish and other sensitive life while dosing bleach, coral dip, etc... Why? Bleach will burn gills and other sensitive tissues/organs and who knows what else?!; coral dips say for coral use only-for a reason! Those fish, snails, BTA's continue to be healthy and happy! I especially believe the fish and BTA's will live long, healthy lives. When I returned the fish, BTA's, snails, etc to the tank, the dinos did not return and I have had NO sign(s) of dino's! I hope everyone here will understand that I have the health and well-being of our aquaria as top priority....

Note; I did use a natural additive to the tank that held the fish,etc. I'm not saying whether it did or did not kill any dinos on the fish, snails, etc. What I am saying though is you can re-introduce them into the tank and NOT have Dinos return. I base my opinion on what I did and that the tank was again in very good condition (nitrogen cycle, copepods, etc).....
Interesting thought. Well just curious have you confirmed about no dinos in your tank using a scope?

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Now here's something I want to ask you...I'm not trying to argue your point....you have a valid point....but I'd like to explain to you my point. If your child has cancer, would you do everything to save their life? Well chemo does have some tolls on the body including loss of hair. Cancer can kill, dinos can kill coral amd fish, bleach dosing is just a way to cure this plague in our hobby. Just like chemo is a way too cure cancer. Now as far as snails and inverts, dinos can be transferred back into the tank by their shells...I'll have to post a pic but I have a few snails amd hermits worth dinos attached to their shells amd there's no gaurentee that if you scrub the shell you get every cell...if you are dino free I congratulate you and hope you well with a dino free tank. Please understand I'm not trying to pick a fight bit to give you a mindset of what our goal is....

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are not trying to argue;) I am a cancer survivor so I know what you are saying....so is my brother who had chemo and radiation...and my best friend died of cancer. For my child, of course I would do everything realistically possible. However, depending on the cancer, the severity, etc would depend on my decision. So using that scenerio, I would do surgery first. That would be removal... To further make my point, I just had brain surgery December 7th...to remove a tumor. (YES, the cancer that I have survived, does show up as brain cancer for a little insight.) So with the fish, etc. I would remove them first. As I did . I also consulted with a VERY experienced SW aquarist(runs a multi-million $ live aquaria store) and tried what he recommended. I did. Again, not saying what I used killed the dinos but I did not dose bleach with the fish, snails, etc. "first." Had I had a reoccurance with dino's, I again would have removed the fish, etc and tried something different on the fish, etc. I do however believe that a healthy, thriving tank can outcompete a few dinos that 'might' get transferred back into a tank. Killing dinos HAS to be a quick response because of the their very fast reproduction. Many, including me, do not respond quick enough as most of us do not pull out a microscope at what might be the first sign of dinos.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed there and wow I feel bad now for using that example...lol I'm sorry to hear. Even in surgery there's still risks....which is what I'm trying to get at. It's the same as cancer research. Without a viable piece of cancer to study on there can't be a treatment made....I think of this as like the study part.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you are not trying to argue;) I am a cancer survivor so I know what you are saying....so is my brother who had chemo and radiation...and my best friend died of cancer. For my child, of course I would do everything realistically possible. However, depending on the cancer, the severity, etc would depend on my decision. So using that scenerio, I would do surgery first. That would be removal... To further make my point, I just had brain surgery December 7th...to remove a tumor. (YES, the cancer that I have survived, does show up as brain cancer for a little insight.) So with the fish, etc. I would remove them first. As I did . I also consulted with a VERY experienced SW aquarist(runs a multi-million $ live aquaria store) and tried what he recommended. I did. Again, not saying what I used killed the dinos but I did not dose bleach with the fish, snails, etc. "first." Had I had a reoccurance with dino's, I again would have removed the fish, etc and tried something different on the fish, etc. I do however believe that a healthy, thriving tank can outcompete a few dinos that 'might' get transferred back into a tank. Killing dinos HAS to be a quick response because of the their very fast reproduction. Many, including me, do not respond quick enough as most of us do not pull out a microscope at what might be the first sign of dinos.
Also one more point. Some remedies don't work on some strains....do u know what strain of dinos u had? Also, for those new people who doesn't know what dinos look like and they get over run with them, the chances of killing them off goes down dramatically with such a dense population of them. I understand the fish part but the snails and coral seem to do well with dosing bleach. And as far as anemones go, who's to say that some of the water they sucked up doesn't have a single cell of dinos in it? Once it releases that water that cell can populate quickly, same with the shells of snails and crabs, I have like 4 snails where dinos are clearly attached to the shell...and I mean like strands.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree...and yes the bleach may hurt or even kill fish.. the after effects are of happy fish and coral. ..mine was so bad.. some of the fish even had dino hanging off them.. my foxface had brown fins even.. and if I just qt the fish and corals.. the dinos would be reintroduced when adding live stock back..the bta has to have sucked in dinos..and them also would have been released back into water column. .now this is just imho. But when using microscope to view individual dino cells..and realizing just how small each cell is.. and understanding how many it takes just to see one strand... im pretty sure everything is happier in the end.. than being infected with billions of parasites.. again just imho

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back