Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

sowellj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all ... I am battling the scourge as well. I have tried lights out, manual removal, h2o2 dosing, vibrant, bacterial dosing, etc. I can knock them back and keep them at bay with a significantly reduced photoperiod. However, when the photoperiod increases, the dinos come back. Currently, I am trying to dirty the tank up a bit and increase biodiversity. I don't have high hopes and may end up a candidate for bleach dosing. At any rate, what do you guys think of the red structures in the dino (osteos it appears). Sometimes I see them, sometimes not.

20170124_080914.jpg

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day 2.. all is well.. I can even see my rocks now..1.5ml every 12 hours.. fish are fine.. coral looking even better.. snails are eating like crazy.. so far limited strings..most on sand bed ..but not standing. .few bubbles on rocks... power heads stayed clean all light cycle..still see pods crawling. .

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of day 2.. all is well.. I can even see my rocks now..1.5ml every 12 hours.. fish are fine.. coral looking even better.. snails are eating like crazy.. so far limited strings..most on sand bed ..but not standing. .few bubbles on rocks... power heads stayed clean all light cycle..still see pods crawling. .
Be careful with the fish...as bleach can kill them....at the first sign of stress is take them out

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you dosing?
I have a 46bf .. doing 1.5ml of bleach with 1gram metroplex an 5ml Revive Coral Cleaner.. putting it in 2 cups of tank water. been adding it it every 12 hours.. this morning was dose 5.. nothing really reacts but softies pout for 20 mins or so.. blennie, foxface, 2 clowns, ywg, royal grama dont even notice it,..only the chromis seems to notice the dose..by hiding for 20 mins or so.. GBTA does not react after first dose..none of the snails or crabs seem to care..xenia and GSP really dont like it much.. but its amazing.. I can see purple on my rocks again.. i can see purple on the back wall..... First dose skimmer didnt do a thing.. second dose.. skimmer put out 2 gallons of really dark green crap.. last 3 doses.. skimmer foams a little ..but nothing over flowing..
Just wanted to add.. I have zoas and palys that had been closed for months..and now opening.. not fully..but opening..

Last edited:
OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 46bf .. doing 1.5ml of bleach with 1gram metroplex an 5ml Revive Coral Cleaner.. putting it in 2 cups of tank water. been adding it it every 12 hours.. this morning was dose 5.. nothing really reacts but softies pout for 20 mins or so.. blennie, foxface, 2 clowns, ywg, royal grama dont even notice it,..only the chromis seems to notice the dose..by hiding for 20 mins or so.. GBTA does not react after first dose..none of the snails or crabs seem to care..xenia and GSP really dont like it much.. but its amazing.. I can see purple on my rocks again.. i can see purple on the back wall..... First dose skimmer didnt do a thing.. second dose.. skimmer put out 2 gallons of really dark green crap.. last 3 doses.. skimmer foams a little ..but nothing over flowing..
Nice to see info coming in! I am a few weeks out with my conclusion.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard ..How long should I dose.. I was shooting for when I see no more under scope.. when I first started.. all I needed was a sample from water column to see the dinos.. last night (lights still on).. none found from water column..had to get sample from rock.. then still only seen about 5 in that drop on slide..figure when I can take sample from substrate ..and its free of dinos.. I would stop.. I have bottle of M7 ready I want to start after dosing stops..
Oh and there will be nothing added to tank before a peak is taken under scope... if this rids me of these nastiest monsters.. I do not want them back..lol

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard ..How long should I dose.. I was shooting for when I see no more under scope.. when I first started.. all I needed was a sample from water column to see the dinos.. last night (lights still on).. none found from water column..had to get sample from rock.. then still only seen about 5 in that drop on slide..figure when I can take sample from substrate ..and its free of dinos.. I would stop.. I have bottle of M7 ready I want to start after dosing stops..
Oh and there will be nothing added to tank before a peak is taken under scope... if this rids me of these nastiest monsters.. I do not want them back..lol
I never went more than 3 days as it will wipe out all the bacteria in the tank. This will cause a tank "crash" so in order to help avoid that I would not go more than 3 days.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add.. I have zoas and palys that had been closed for months..and now opening.. not fully..but opening..
What corals do u have in tank?
Be careful with the fish...as bleach can kill them....at the first sign of stress is take them out

StrangeDejavu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have fish and coral responded to the bleach treatment? My Dad has had headache after headache in his tank and recently he said brown/red strings started showing up on the sides of the glass and on the coral. I had a peak under the scope even though I knew what it was- Ostis... :( I hated to tell him because it was the final straw. He's ready to tear down and clean his hands of it but i'm trying to convince him to try bleach first before he does that, but he doesn't want to harm the fish.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How have fish and coral responded to the bleach treatment? My Dad has had headache after headache in his tank and recently he said brown/red strings started showing up on the sides of the glass and on the coral. I had a peak under the scope even though I knew what it was- Ostis... :( I hated to tell him because it was the final straw. He's ready to tear down and clean his hands of it but i'm trying to convince him to try bleach first before he does that, but he doesn't want to harm the fish.

I can only tell you my findings so far.. No reaction..except chromi..he just hides for 20 min or so.. the rest seem to careless.. xenia an GSP close up... GSP opens back up after couple hours... xenia.. is still pouting..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back