Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt use bleach except as last resort. ..with full knowledge it can kill everything....im trying it before trashing everything and starting over...

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if you already answered this but could you dose Metro then kill them with a UV sterilizer?
No Metro is only good for about 14 days. Most dinoflagellates will enter a cyst form rendering metro ineffective.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ostreopsis ovata... this evil thing... I still don't know how to get rid of them and so far nothing on this thread provides a clear and fast way to eliminate this thing. It's so frustrating. My corals are barely growing and many are constantly harassed by it. Really just want to quit and start over in some years.

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this thread subject has been a big help.. I was in FW tanks for 20 years.. and was anal about using water conditioner ..even for top off.. now here I am purposely dosing bleach... lol.. but it has worked so far.. last night was last dose.. and I have to say my tank has not looked this good in months of fighting dinos.. what few corals i have are open and happy... first time in months I have seen my zoas.. :) GSP mat is clean and all open... it is cool to watch under scope... take a lil sample... add a diluted drop of bleach..and boom they stop moving.. wished I could hear the lil basta*** scream...

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this thread subject has been a big help.. I was in FW tanks for 20 years.. and was anal about using water conditioner ..even for top off.. now here I am purposely dosing bleach... lol.. but it has worked so far.. last night was last dose.. and I have to say my tank has not looked this good in months of fighting dinos.. what few corals i have are open and happy... first time in months I have seen my zoas.. :) GSP mat is clean and all open... it is cool to watch under scope... take a lil sample... add a diluted drop of bleach..and boom they stop moving.. wished I could hear the lil basta*** scream...
Spectacular! I will prove even if it's my last breath that BLEACH will work as a tank treatment.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ostreopsis ovata... this evil thing... I still don't know how to get rid of them and so far nothing on this thread provides a clear and fast way to eliminate this thing. It's so frustrating. My corals are barely growing and many are constantly harassed by it. Really just want to quit and start over in some years.
Don't quit! Hang in there and let the data come through.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, one thing I have a question about is can I run carbon while bleach dosing, amd do ammonia badges continue to be accurate when dosing....I'm pretty sure you can't run carbon

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be dinos, but will leave it up to the experts:
20170126_182611.jpg

20170126_182714.jpg
20170126_182640.jpg

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started my bleach dosing....

I am going to grab some bleach on my way home from work today. Do the caculations about the ml per gallon then round down, would much rather dose less than too much. Also I am only on page 90 so far, but are the calculations below still accurate.

.003/Chlorine % = ml per gallon (dose that 2x a day)

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 48 42.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back