Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been there done that. lights out doesn't work until SPS starts dying massively. I honestly think they are everywhere and the reason why they don't show up in other tanks is because they are controlled/regulated in other tanks. When they started showing up in my tank was when I was running biopellets and I depleted nutrients and pretty much killed off all the algae.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, slow growth but I haven't been in a hurry either. I'm doing pretty good[emoji38]. I OD'd the 180 on all... Forgot to turn the doser off for well over a day[emoji22] moral of the story is to not have brain surgery and expect that the tanks will do fine! You won't! Lol. Lost most of the SPS and, the BTA's and several LPS's are bleached.[emoji22] No signs of Dino's in the tank that had them. Woot!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, slow growth but I haven't been in a hurry either. I'm doing pretty good[emoji38]. I OD'd the 180 on all... Forgot to turn the doser off for well over a day[emoji22] moral of the story is to not have brain surgery and expect that the tanks will do fine! You won't! Lol. Lost most of the SPS and, the BTA's and several LPS's are bleached.[emoji22] No signs of Dino's in the tank that had them. Woot!
Thank you Terri I am wishing you the best! I am collecting data still to finalize this as I think there is a long term effect. @cowboy is setting me up so I will know soon.

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my BG Chromis and my Purple Dottyback.

Clown fish, yellow tang and scribbled rabbitfish are still surviving. I will have a 1 day break and then resume with half the dose...... dang

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my BG Chromis and my Purple Dottyback.

Clown fish, yellow tang and scribbled rabbitfish are still surviving. I will have a 1 day break and then resume with half the dose...... dang
Bleach will kill the fish. I would remove the survivors to QT

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about reintroducing them? won't they bring the dino's back in?
When the fish are put in QT any dino cells will more than likely die as the environment has changed and they live in groups.
Transferring will always include risk of reintroduction.

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the fish are put in QT any dino cells will more than likely die as the environment has changed and they live in groups.
Transferring will always include risk of reintroduction.

Thanks mate, sorry couple more questions, should the quarantine be set up with new water or infected water? does it matter?

Also do you think I should up the bleach dose when there are no fish or keep it the same for and SPS tank?

elfda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am asking members of R2R please if you are dealing with dinoflagellates consider sending me a sample for pictures and possible identification to be uploaded into this thread.
Wanting to start a database here :)
Do you still want samples?
'Cause I've got some I'd be happy to send you for cataloguing.

I know it's been a long...

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went and bought a cheap microscope at toysrus ... I wanted to confirm dinos before i sent sample to
@twilliard identify type... didnt want to waste his time.. but sure enough ..dinos.. so twilliard ..sample is going out today...

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard when moving my fish to QT can I use existing water?

Also should I increase the dose seen as though there wont be any fish?

THanks

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard when moving my fish to QT can I use existing water?

Also should I increase the dose seen as though there wont be any fish?

THanks
You will transfer more dino's that way. A quick net catch will limit the number transferred. Increasing the dose will speed up their reaction into a cyst as they go into protection mode.

JMF2324

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, can anyone identify these dinos? 20170123_192201.jpg 20170123_184447.jpg

Reeferhigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will transfer more dino's that way. A quick net catch will limit the number transferred. Increasing the dose will speed up their reaction into a cyst as they go into protection mode.

Can I bring across one basket of siporax which is in the sump? becasue I need the bacteria otherwise I will start a cycle with my fish in the newly set up hospital tank right? do you think Dino's will be in the siporax?

badd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything that has had tank water on it ..in it.. can be infected with dinos... even under my cheapo scope... I can see more than i can count in a single drop..
on a side note.. I started the bleach dose.. and it appears to be working.. I did a couple samples last night..had to look for dinos "not as many" under scope.. this is day 2 of bleach..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back