Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone.

It has been a while since my last update. I honestly can't find the time to keep up with this thread. I can only say what seemingly has worked for me. My last update was on the 12th and microscopic surveys over the last 12 days have shown a progressive decline in DINOs. Over the last 5 days...I have not been able to find a single DINO anywhere in my tank, sump or ATS. I do however have a whicked outbreak of Cyno. I am not sure what to fully attribute things to. But...I am feeling somewhat confident.... My phosphates are testing at 0 and nitrates at 4+. The cyno bloom left matts of thick material everywhere.

Yesterday I fashioned a small diameter tube/hose with a disposable paintbrush zip tied to it and proceeded to siphon, scrub all the cyno I could. The longer bristles of the paintbrush did a nice job of dislodging the cyno for siphoning. Thanks to my bud ETR for the suggestion. I then let the tank sit until today when I just added a dose of the ChemClean professional drops to the tank. The hope is now to quickly get control of the cyno and then monitor things... I believe that the combination of Metro for the 10 days I dosed, after that then bleach I dosed for 4 days and then the bloom of cyno ultimately caused the population of DINOs to crash. I know some turf scrubber evangelicals will claim algae turf scrubbers (ATS)'s contribute to the decline of DINOs. I am not sure. My ATS sure is growing some nasty algae of all types. And the algae is also chocked full of pods of all types. Zero DINOs anywhere that I can find in the ATS. Did the pods and microfauna prey on the DINOs....who knows. Right now...I am in wait and see mode...with fingers crossed that things will continue to improve.

One other note... I bought some LPS frags this weekend and some leathers. I got talking to the guy I bought from. He suggested that I cut the overall intensity of my lights way back. Theses Radions G3s are notorious for being too powerful and even though I was running an LPS program....what I had in the tank was not too terribly happy. I lowered the overall output/intensity to 40% and almost immediately my LPS, montis and leathers Began to respond. This lowered intensity will also help keep the DINOs in check...if they are still present. If things progress, I will bump up intensity another 15-20% over the next few weeks.

I hope this is helpful. After a battle with DINOs as long as I have been fighting...I am hoping I have defeated them once and for all.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my link below to help you identify what cyanobacteria you have.
Chemiclean does not work against cylindrospermum cyanobacteria

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach already claimed by bicolor anthia. Sad day. My advice- do not treat tanks with fish with bleach. Take fish out first and treat corals only
Though it is possible, it is unlikely at that dose. I dose a strengh of 2.5tumes higher than that with not even the slightest hiccup. I would have to ask, did you just dump it into the tank and possible the fish swam through the slug? If properly diluted, then I would thinksomething else killed this fish

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am to date free of dinoflagellates due to the use of bleach.
Once I fine tuned the dose for my DT there was not a single loss of anything. Fish, coral or inverts.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am to date free of dinoflagellates due to the use of bleach.
Once I fine tuned the dose for my DT there was not a single loss of anything. Fish, coral or inverts.
Are you still dosing bleach or, have stopped for sometimes now. Just wondering if this will be a daily activity for rest of my life.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it is possible, it is unlikely at that dose. I dose a strengh of 2.5tumes higher than that with not even the slightest hiccup. I would have to ask, did you just dump it into the tank and possible the fish swam through the slug? If properly diluted, then I would thinksomething else killed this fish
I dropped it slowly drop by drop undiluted into the pump. All fish were hiding at the time and very healthy. Perhaps anthias are more sinsitive or I should of diluted more. Not sure. All other fish are fine

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found some fish to tolerate better than others. BG chromis were troopers during this phase.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out :)
This guy was bombarded with bleach during my trial.
Now look at him
20160825_131410.jpg
Sorry for all the blue this is a phone picture and he is under my diy led fixture

Mattie-KCCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I am correct in ID-ing these as Dinos. Can someone confirm and possibly give Species. I saw a link for Species/Type ID awhile but can not find now.....

PossibleDino-8-25-16-p1.jpg

PossibleDino-8-25-16-p2.jpg

PossibleDino-8-25-16-p3.jpg

Mattie-KCCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twilliard I'll see if I can get a video. I was seeing movement originally however these images were after the slide had sat for a an hour or so. Little one distracted me... But when first viewed I saw very quick movement. Unsure if this was cause of movement.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I am not aware of a good source page for identification of dinoflagellates
It would be nice to see photo ID with name page

RhinoNM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What bleach dosage (ml/20gallon) is everyone finding that seems to knock the dinos back? And...were there fish in the tank during the dosage? Twillard said 1ml/20 seems to make them recede. What is the min time between dosage? I think Twillard said 6hrs. Is this correct?

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been taking daily samples of my 75g tank and still absolutely no signs of dinoflagelletes :)
I feel I was victorious over these guys!

Ok so about fish.. only the strong will survive.
For the most part bleach WILL KILL YOUR FISH in the doses needed to kill dinoflagelletes.
Yes the smell goes away in about 6 hours but my nose will be different than others.
My last hit with bleach was 3ml in my 20g frag tank. All coral made it safe and sound. I had to take the coral out of the frag tank as ammonia started to increase rapidly. Yes that dose killed ALL bacteria and protozoa.
So I state again...
Does bleach work and still have corals left?
Yes indeed my friends :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back