Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but not to bleach dosing except on reef tanks. 6 month old Aqueon evolve 4 tank, 5lbs rock, 1 inch sugar size sand bed and I started this tank with dry sand and rock. Dinos started when I received an order from a reputable online retailer 2 months ago. When my nitrates went over 40-60ppm dinos disappeared phos always .03-.05. When i started carbon dosing and dropped nitrates dinos exploded within 2-3 days of them being undetectable. I've been dosing for a week and nothing changed until yesterday when I upped it to 1/2 an ml 3x a day. Barely any strings but still there. Anything else I should be doing? I'm blowing everything with a baster, removed carbon and gfo because of the bleach and only lighting tank 3-4 hours at a time.

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum but not to bleach dosing except on reef tanks. 6 month old Aqueon evolve 4 tank, 5lbs rock, 1 inch sugar size sand bed and I started this tank with dry sand and rock. Dinos started when I received an order from a reputable online retailer 2 months ago. When my nitrates went over 40-60ppm dinos disappeared phos always .03-.05. When i started carbon dosing and dropped nitrates dinos exploded within 2-3 days of them being undetectable. I've been dosing for a week and nothing changed until yesterday when I upped it to 1/2 an ml 3x a day. Barely any strings but still there. Anything else I should be doing? I'm blowing everything with a baster, removed carbon and gfo because of the bleach and only lighting tank 3-4 hours at a time.
The strong smell of chlorine will let you know if you are dosing enough.

Africangrey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I experience the same thing as the Ostres would go dormant with bleaching method, microscope identification shows that dino population diminish greatly after bleaching, they are still there but appeared to be encysted, not dancing or moving, upon completion of the initial 5 day treatment (5mL 8% bleach of /100gal.), I only lost one cleaner shrimp. Now, 1 week later I have explosion of GHA as indicated on the picture, none of them appears to have bubble trapped, but microscope id of GHA sample show dino's # is on the rise and coexist. I am sourcing a sea hare or lettuces nuti but afraid that once the GHA is under control, ostis will return to their full glory.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue I'm having is I'm not getting a chlorine smell at all even with 0.5ml to 4 gallons of water. So far I've had the lights double the height and on for 4 hours and so far only a few strings are showing up.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things that I've found to spur Dino growth: Biopellets, Carbon dosing, Iron dosing or supplementation. These are not causes, just potential sources of fuel for a dino explosion IME.

Chemical treatments I've found to reliably beat Dino and keep it gone: NONE

I've beaten Ostreopsis ovata 4 times now and it hasn't returned. I've even taken a piece of rock covered in Ostreopsis from one of the systems I was working on curing and introduced it to one of the systems I had already cleaned to see what would occur. The dino on the test rock melted away within 24hrs and has never appeared again.

The only method I can recommend is natural biological pressure. If you have dino discontinue biopellets or carbon dosing, do not supplement iron, stop feeding nori for as long as needed. FEED HEAVY with mysis or marine pellets, preferably mysis. Feed until you have a green algae takeover of your rocks. The green algae will bind up the iron and other elements needed by the dino. Give your green algae all the tlc it needs until the dino is gone and then destroy the green algaes with a clean up crew of various crabs, snails, tangs, foxface, urchin, sea hare, etc - any combo should work. The amount of algae needed to beat the dino varies. I've had a minimal amount appear and cause the dino to die quickly but in some cases a lot of algae is need to fully outcompete a bad dino outbreak. Adding biodiversity of copepods and amphipods is recommended as well as any algal biodiversity (skip the bryopsis), but green hair or other turf algaes are welcome. During this green algae phase I typically just monitor phosphate to make sure any hard corals stay happy. As long as it is maintained under 0.09 or so I don't worry about it. I resume normal phosphate control and drop the level a bit once dinos have been beaten.

I've used the above process on client systems as well as a couple of my own reefs. Once I have more data and a some more reliable successes I hope to put together a definitive guide to permanently beating Dinos the natural way. Good Luck everybody, I wanted to share this because I've seen firsthand a number of times now how frustrating dinos can be. If anyone has success with this method let's hear about it! Cheers.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dansreef , sorry to hear they are back:0( I wondered if that was going to happen. Don't jump ship! Stay diligent and become a little more aggressive with the bleach. That's what I'm doing...a little increase in bleach everyday. Just don't kill off the bacteria, skim as wet as possible and try to keep the dino's in the water column for removal. If some people can get rid of them, so we can we!!:D

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm up to 0.5 ml every 6 hours if I'm off even 30 minutes they start showing up in full force but only on dead hair algae and coral.

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have bubbles and a very few strands ...just on the corals and what little GHA that's there. One constant I see is to increase/have high nitrates...

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed when my nitrates were above 40ppm no dinos but as soon as they dropped under 20ppm dinos appeared

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is what I'm seeing is consistent so you might want to get your nitrates up;) I do not thing algaes or cyano will kill them unless something eatsthem via eating the algae/cyano.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped nitrates cause of bryopsis and gha now that bryopsis is goneand gha dying out cause of low nitrate dang dinos proliferate. Raise nitrates and dinos go away but algae kicks back in....****** decision lol

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choose the algae and keep it there for a month with heavy skimming and anything that will eat the algae and dinos in it:0)

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to rip clean the nano and freshwater/peroxide dip all of my coral sps included in order to transfer to a holding tank.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang that sucks nvm then lol. I know on nanoreef they've rip cleaned nanos and beat dinos figured I'd do the same cause for me it seems like the bleach is just keeping them at bay.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon429 would be able to help you better I dont have much luck on nanoreef outside of a few people trying to help me out.

baseballfanatic2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me if this is dinos or diatoms? My snails aren't dying but they dont touch it.
20160901_160152.jpg

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard my 5ml for 90gal twice a day succesfully erradicated dinos with no harm to fish.

However results vary i am sure. I noticed 2 major things however. Non serious concerns but interesting none the less.

1 red slime thrived. I suspect the algae that died off allowed the redslime to not have to compete, and more nutrients to fuel it.

2 in time, this raised my salinity. Not dramatically but still iver time it added up.

I also want to note, i dont feel at my dosage bacteria was killed l, or atleast most survive. I had a wierd reaction from my bta every dose. I have stoped dosage and am finding no return of dino, all fish healthy. No sign of the velvet so far either !

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I see this thread is getting so long that we are forgetting a massive amount of information that has been posted about dinoflagellates.
People are not using enough bleach also.
Keep in mind mechanical filtration. For instance a 200 micron sock will fill with these guys during the dark hours during any treatment.
@baseballfanatic2 that is looking like spirulina

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back