Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard my 5ml for 90gal twice a day succesfully erradicated dinos with no harm to fish.

However results vary i am sure. I noticed 2 major things however. Non serious concerns but interesting none the less.

1 red slime thrived. I suspect the algae that died off allowed the redslime to not have to compete, and more nutrients to fuel it.

2 in time, this raised my salinity. Not dramatically but still iver time it added up.

I also want to note, i dont feel at my dosage bacteria was killed l, or atleast most survive. I had a wierd reaction from my bta every dose. I have stoped dosage and am finding no return of dino, all fish healthy. No sign of the velvet so far either !
This is awesome!
I can see how bleach may allow cyanobacteria to kick into gear. My spirulina did this during the treatment of my frag tank. It did however die when I added the 3ml in.. massive overdose.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome!
I can see how bleach may allow cyanobacteria to kick into gear. My spirulina did this during the treatment of my frag tank. It did however die when I added the 3ml in.. massive overdose.
I think this is viable. I would imagine h2o2 was scrutinized and attacked with pitch forks and fire initially as well. Great work, go big or go home lol

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is viable. I would imagine h2o2 was scrutinized and attacked with pitch forks and fire initially as well. Great work, go big or go home lol
Yes indeed. As I approach school time I had to make a hard desision. Shutting down 2 of my tanks to combine into a 3rd meant massive dinoflagellate cell transfer.
I was left no choice.. had to hit them hard regardless of any potential coral loss.
I said "the strong will survive and the weak will fall".
To my amazement all held strong.
So does 3ml at 20 gallons work? It sure does :)

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 0.6-0.75 every 6-7 hours on 4 gallons so right around the same dose as you and it kicks them for a few hours but still comes back. Just realized I made a mistake by taking the skimmer offline also source 200 micron material locally. Nearest reef shop that I know of is almost 2 hours away

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 0.6-0.75 every 6-7 hours on 4 gallons so right around the same dose as you and it kicks them for a few hours but still comes back. Just realized I made a mistake by taking the skimmer offline also source 200 micron material locally. Nearest reef shop that I know of is almost 2 hours away
Might want to look into what you are using. At that dose in those intervals it should smell like chlorine water all the time.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach smells gone in about 2-3 hours so maybe im using weak/old bleach its a dollar store brand I grabbed without reading the label....stupid mistake

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the math you're right. Would there be a problem adding 1.5 ml and sticking to 3 time a day?

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 1.5 every 12 hours seems better until i get 8%...twilliard you do 8% 2x a day correct?

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my zoas LOVE the bleach. As soon as it mixes in they open and color up nicely.

serpent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am doing this in my frag tank right now and am about to do it in the DT. The metro knocked back the frag tank real good, but I am noticing that they are coming back slowly. I assume that you left your fish in the tank at the time of dosing, think I remember you saying no ill effect. What about upping the dosage while the fish are in QT, then when ready to move the fish back doing a freshwater dip? Do you think that the Dinos would return or should I just leave them in the tank? I only have 2 fish at this point in the DT due to these buggers.

Donaldf973

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question...just finished dipping all coral in a 50/50 freshwater and 3% h202 mix what do I do with my snails I've read freshwater will practically kill them. Anyway to dip and transfer them to my holding tank? Wife will kill me if I chuck them lol

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please Help!
As you know I've been battling this sand bed issue for 2 plus years. I cannot figure out what it is. Do you think it may be a form of Dinoflagalites? The best I can do are these pictures. It seemingly gets worse just after a WC.
Somewhat lessens during lights out. Is on the SB only. ChemiClean doesn't faze it. Nor does stirring the SB. Any help would be much appreciated as I'm not looking forward to removing my entire SB.
64a8f1ac89aa1253ddd19127e377d112.jpg

223c68dbabc3355e1cebfbfbac73d55f.jpg

9a192ee18c2374fdd700d1e99095f758.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back