Dinoflagellates - dinos a possible cure!? Follow along and see!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys... Been a few days since my last update.

After sampling areas in the tank.... I still have not found any DINOs. I still have a bad case of cyno... As Todd, you were right....ChemClean does not cure all cyno.... If you have a dosing recommendation of hydrogen peroxide... I would appreciate it... This cyno is persistent. I have siphoned like crazy...and have kept it in check.... I just picked up some new hydrogen peroxide and want to knock it down once and for all.

Now ....I think the true test of the DINOs being gone will be when the cyno is removed...if the DINOs return. Things look pretty good...and I have even reintroduced some coral.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Ive got some catching up to do in here. Was there a final verdict on dosages and timing?

##ml/gallon or liters
##doses/day
## of days total

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys... Been a few days since my last update.

After sampling areas in the tank.... I still have not found any DINOs. I still have a bad case of cyno... As Todd, you were right....ChemClean does not cure all cyno.... If you have a dosing recommendation of hydrogen peroxide... I would appreciate it... This cyno is persistent. I have siphoned like crazy...and have kept it in check.... I just picked up some new hydrogen peroxide and want to knock it down once and for all.

Now ....I think the true test of the DINOs being gone will be when the cyno is removed...if the DINOs return. Things look pretty good...and I have even reintroduced some coral.
Check out my links below for h2o2 use. The starting point is 1ml for 10 gallons every 12 hours. Then if no adverse reactions increase the dosing to 1ml to 8g.

Wow Ive got some catching up to do in here. Was there a final verdict on dosages and timing?

##ml/gallon or liters
##doses/day
## of days total
For what method are you inquiring about?
I am not releasing information about a dosing schedule for bleach :)

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cause the only information I have about what I have done can carry some huge risk and total tank crash.
I will let people expand on the information I have already provided :)
3ml to 20 gallons is dino eradication including ALL bacteria (frag tank last dose)
3ml dosed over 6 hours in 80g twice a day for 3 days killed my flame angle and the dinos (main tank)
No water changes performed during this on the DT
I only had one goal and that was to kill them as I had a 75g ready to go and school approaching. So I did not keep a running log on this as I knew people would not accept adding bleach to a running system.

So to rid a tank of dinos.. use bleach

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some tank shots. Keep in mind what you all see has been treated with bleach.
20160821_110027.jpg 20160825_134831.jpg 20160825_134814.jpg 20160825_132313.jpg

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check this out.. an acro from the dead. This guy was in my 20g the whole time. I thought it was dead but said what the heck.. threw him in the 75.
Here he is
20160828_081313.jpg

20160828_081313.jpg

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a nem will survive with bleach dosing? I'm thinking about trying this but I want to remove fish. I just don't want to remove the rock with the nem into quartine and then if bleach removes dino from display adding the rock back and reintroduce dino.

spcpettit22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for anyone that has removed fish how long after dosing did u introduce them to your main display again

OP
OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a nem will survive with bleach dosing? I'm thinking about trying this but I want to remove fish. I just don't want to remove the rock with the nem into quartine and then if bleach removes dino from display adding the rock back and reintroduce dino.
My anemone made it through just fine :)
You can tell by the smell when the water is safe, well thats what I did

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been a couple nems die though for people dosing bleach...just an fyi. Personally, I moved my nems except the tiny one which didn't survive (as I suspected). If you move the nem in with the fish, you can do a separate h2o2 treatment(s), try to remove the nem from the rock (powerhead, cutting most of the rock away that the nem doesn't have its' foot on) or use a fish additive like I suggested(previous post).

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used bleach 2x a day.
.3 ml in a 10g about 8 to 9 gallons of water. My nem reacts for about 10 to 15 minites but comes back to normal after that.
I dosed about 3 weeks.

Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...read through this thread over the past 3 days...alot of great info...hats off to @twilliard for all your efforts in trying to end this dreadful battle with dinoflagellates. I too have dinos and I dosed 100% metronidazole for the past 2 days, but ran out. My tank is a 60 cube with a trigger systems ruby cube sump. I have estimated I have a total water volume of 70 gallons (could be 75, but I would rather under dose a tad, rather than overdose and kill everything). I have had the tank setup since July 15, 2016. It currently has 5 acros, about a dozen different types of zoas, 2 mushrooms, a toadstool, and a micromussa. I am running a bare bottom display tank, however, I wanted to try the EcoSystems Miracle Mud, and have a 10 lb. bag in the refugium section with a softball sized clump of calerpa. I am running a bubble king mini replica, filter sock and have some Seachem Matrix in a mesh bag.

Everything was doing well until I added a few zoas and clove polyps roughly 10 days ago, and then...BAM....I saw the snot slime and bubbles...covering my rocks. I did 3 days lights out, which seemed to help, then lights on for a few hours and they came right back. So I started dosing metronidazole, but ran out, I just ordered a ton more, but now I see we can now dose BLEACH...who would have thought huh? I see that Target has the
Ingredients:
Active Ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite: (8.25%), Other Ingredients: (91.75%). Yields (7.86%) Available Chlorine , Bleach - Concentrated - Unscented - 64 oz - up & up™...I guess this is Targets' brand. Would this be the right kind to get, and how much should I be dosing? How often? Also, should I leave the Miracle Mud in the refugium, or remove it as it slowly releases trace minerals/elements into the water as necessary, possibly contributing to a food source for the dinos (however, everything was fine until I introduced a few new corals a few days ago as stated).

Any help with this is extremely appreciated as I would like to have a dino free tank (as we all do) and continue to enjoy my tank and this exciting hobby we all share!!!

terri_ann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the Miracle Mud is contaminated with the dinos...mine was. Sorry to say but yes, remove the miracle mud I ME. I used MM and tried to dry it out...didn't work. Do not know if bleach dosing would effect it or not but metro won't kill the dinos so could take a long time to get them out of the miracle mud as it packs down tight as compared to sand. I removed the MM all at once with no impact on corals but I also watched closely for intervention if needed. .oo3/%bleach. Some dose bleach at lights out, others bleach twice/day and others...as they determine. People bleach at their own risk.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a few days makes.... UGH!

Last night I was looking at my tank and low and behold... I saw a strand of slime. I quickly removed a sample and placed it under the microscope. YEP... F Me.... DINOs have returned. It appears as I removed the cyno...this caused the little jerks to re-emerge. I decided immediately to start dosing bleach again. My formulation is .003/.0525 concentration of the bleach *225gals = ~13 ml for my tank 2 times a day. My plan is to dose it at lights off at night and then 12 hours later before lights on. I dosed last night and already this morning. No apparent impact to the fish or corals... but the lights are off and I will see more when they come up later.

I tested my phosphates this morning with my Hanna Checker and they read .10 (+/-.04 error) which is a huge spike given I was tracking 0.00 just a few days ago.

To me... two things are apparent.... when I removed the cyno... the phosphates spiked. I am disappointed that the Algae Scrubber did not pick up the slack.... With the Phosphates jumping and no other competition.... the DINO population began to take off. Grrrrr......

Looks like the battle continues. After a few weeks of no DINOs and the belief that perhaps the tank had turned the corner..... they are back. I did a survey of the tank after the dose this morning and could see many more strands in certain areas of the tank. I hope I am able to get things in check quickly without fish or coral mortality.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back