OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have caught 6 ruby crabs, 4 mantis and a rock crab. I am undecided about the ruby crabs. I have seen 2 rock crabs and a worm still in tank but no luck catching them.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three green and a brown. Three 9f them have found homes with people looking for a mantis tank. One is sitting in my qt. I am becoming more and more attached which is a bad thing because I am only supposed to have 1 permanent tank.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you are looking to set up a mantis tank and are not set on a specific species you could definitely kill two birds with one stone by ordering this rock lol. All the other critters would just be food or playmates lol.

hurst14801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So parameters are fine but I think I may have a mixture of some sort of illness, saw some rock scratching and a predator taking advantage of the situation. None of the fish look on their death bed prior to death/disappearance so i don't think they die before being grabbed but if are weak in any way... I have caught another mantis and seen at least 7 non reef safe crabs in the past few nights. None seem big enough to be the culprit but the sheer number is troubling.
I had a similar situation occur. Fish were sick but really think our pistol shrimp was not helping out.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where'd you get this rock?
It is uncured rock from kp aquatics. I was unsure about getting cured rock because depending on the process you may not get the good critters. Given the shape this rock came in though I would say even their cured rock will be full of life.

Fishinbob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is uncured rock from kp aquatics. I was unsure about getting cured rock because depending on the process you may not get the good critters. Given the shape this rock came in though I would say even their cured rock will be full of life.
Yup I'm going to run down to kp here soon and get some rock macros and gorgonian soon. It's a pain getting out the bad but worth the troubles. The hairy crab is a gorilla crab... very bad eats anything corals and fish. Had some chromis come up missing after they started hiding in "that one rock" but at least he just fed on my gsp. The red mitrax crab is sopossed to be reef safe easy enough to catch since they graze but I'd worry they might taste test corals.
Goto tbs aquatics and look up the life section to get ids. But the befits of all the micro fauna spaghetti worms, amphipods, micro brittles, and various bugs are amazing!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back