OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ammonia reading now?

Color changes in fish sometimes indicate stress, but that could go either way (light to dark, dark to light) and the water change itself could be enough stress to cause a change. As you probably know, fish can change color night to day. I usually don't read too much into that unless there is another symptom at the same time.

I'm not sure about your dad's tank - hypo is not completely risk-free, but generally, when you lose fish during it that means it was either done incorrectly (started too late for example) or the fish have a disease like Amyloodinium (velvet) that does not respond to hypo.

Jay
.18 now. There’s no downside in these repeated large water changes correct. Keep doing them until my ammonia stabilizes.

Ya my dads getting older and I convinced him on this treatment. He doesn’t read about this stuff. I control the tank. So when fish start dying I get blamed. Fun!

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ammonia reading now?

Color changes in fish sometimes indicate stress, but that could go either way (light to dark, dark to light) and the water change itself could be enough stress to cause a change. As you probably know, fish can change color night to day. I usually don't read too much into that unless there is another symptom at the same time.

I'm not sure about your dad's tank - hypo is not completely risk-free, but generally, when you lose fish during it that means it was either done incorrectly (started too late for example) or the fish have a disease like Amyloodinium (velvet) that does not respond to hypo.

Jay
I think he has velvet I saw his Niger trigger with “dust” like spots.

We’re screwed by the time we slowly increase the salt safely for the copper treatment they will probably be dead. Would this be time for something drastic copper and hypo?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he has velvet I saw his Niger trigger with “dust” like spots.

We’re screwed by the time we slowly increase the salt safely for the copper treatment they will probably be dead.

With velvet, the primary (and sometimes only) symptom is rapid breathing and not eating. You sometimes will see a sort of cloudiness to the fish and glassy eyes towards the end. The "dust like" spots are a symptom of freshwater velvet, and gets misattributed to marine velvet, that that is caused by a different parasite.

Some people have had good success using coppersafe and hypo at the same time.

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet, the primary (and sometimes only) symptom is rapid breathing and not eating. You sometimes will see a sort of cloudiness to the fish and glassy eyes towards the end. The "dust like" spots are a symptom of freshwater velvet, and gets misattributed to marine velvet, that that is caused by a different parasite.

Jay
does this look like velvet I have copper power on hand.

80F31A36-20CE-43B8-8735-99FF01DB69EC.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would need to see a video to say for sure - it is all about the respiration rate. If the fish is breathing more or less normally, this is just "stale ich" - how ich looks after fish have had it for some time.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would need to see a video to say for sure - it is all about the respiration rate. If the fish is breathing more or less normally, this is just "stale ich" - how ich looks after fish have had it for some time.

Jay
There breathing is definitely heavy.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video longer than one minute under white light up close to the fish, showing both sides of the fish would be helpful. You can upload the video to YouTube then post the link to it here.

Best I can do they breathe heavy and hang out down below

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An okay video. At the end, the fish came out and the spots were more evident.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

An okay video. At the end, the fish came out and the spots were more evident.
The one big difference for me again I’m a newbie. From freshwater to saltwater. Saltwater fish are so much harder to cure. For freshwater any ich/fluke medicine works 99% of the time within a week if not 4/5 days. I can’t believe the puffer is still struggling he had his best day yesterday today the complete opposite

For my dads tank I’m going to take the plunge and do copper and hypo. Will see. There’s no point in waiting a fish has died the past three days. I figure I’ll ramp up over 48 hours.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The one big difference for me again I’m a newbie. From freshwater to saltwater. Saltwater fish are so much harder to cure. For freshwater any ich/fluke medicine works 99% of the time within a week if not 4/5 days. I can’t believe the puffer is still struggling he had his best day yesterday today the complete opposite

For my dads tank I’m going to take the plunge and do copper and hypo. Will see. There’s no point in waiting a fish has died the past three days. I figure I’ll ramp up over 48 hours.
My suspect too is velvet and you will as Jay mentioned have to go either hyposalinity at 1.009 Or coppersafe for a Full 30 day and no less to maintain treatment cycle. This is not a nutrition issue nor ammonia issue while elevated ammonia will invite increased respirations.
For ammonia- To assure you are getting accurate readings, do a comparison bt taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suspect too is velvet and you will as Jay mentioned have to go either hyposalinity at 1.009 Or coppersafe for a Full 30 day and no less to maintain treatment cycle. This is not a nutrition issue nor ammonia issue while elevated ammonia will invite increased respirations.
For ammonia- To assure you are getting accurate readings, do a comparison bt taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use Api kits and have them test your ammonia and nitrates and compare readings- then you'll know where your levels truly are at
Jay said people have done hypo and copper at the same time. By the time I raise the salinity and add the copper I think it will be too late. I’m going to roll the dice.

I have the Hanna ammonia instrument I don’t have to go to the store. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better video
A good video, too. Thanks.
hypo and copper at the same time
Just to be clear. The hypo and copper is on the tank in the video? Copper treating that tank with the rock and substrate is going to be a challenge controlling the copper concentration.
I have the Hanna ammonia instrument
I figured you did, since you were reporting two decimals. Still, check newly prepared/aged saltwater for ammonia.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay said people have done hypo and copper at the same time. By the time I raise the salinity and add the copper I think it will be too late. I’m going to roll the dice.

I have the Hanna ammonia instrument I don’t have to go to the store. Thanks for the advice.
You can do both simultaneously but hypo does stress some fish hence i recommend one or the other.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good video, too. Thanks.

Just to be clear. The hypo and copper is on the tank in the video? Copper treating that tank with the rock and substrate is going to be a challenge controlling the copper concentration.

I figured you did, since you were reporting two decimals. Still, check newly prepared/aged saltwater for ammonia.
I know I know I know never copper in a display. I’ve done it multiple times successfully I have all the tools. I’ve learned how to control the copper levels. I know I’ll never have invertebrates. I’ve heard the all the negatives.

I’ll definitely check my prepared saltwater.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back