FLUKES NOT GOING AWAY

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I’m exhausted. I’m trying zeolite for my tank to see if that will lower the ammonia. I’ll give an update in a couple days. Thanks for everything guys

In my experience, regular Zeolite doesn't remove ammonia from seawater very well. However, there seems to be some difference of opinion:

You could always use Amquel.....

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, regular Zeolite doesn't remove ammonia from seawater very well. However, there seems to be some difference of opinion:

Jay
That’s the exact thread I read before I went searching for zeolite. Amquel has been ordered.

Lol how many seachem products are snake oil. There claims are outrageous prime,zeolite,stability etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I used Amguard. Lost my first fish out of nowhere the blue spotted puffer only symptoms he was showing was scratching.

Ammonia .23 the dogface hasn’t scratched at all today he’s just lethargic but I read that could be him just recovering.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Amguard. Lost my first fish out of nowhere the blue spotted puffer only symptoms he was showing was scratching.

Ammonia .23 the dogface hasn’t scratched at all today he’s just lethargic but I read that could be him just recovering.
Can you clarify for me - where is this tank at in terms of hypo level and copper level?

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify for me - where is this tank at in terms of hypo level and copper level?

Jay
Sorry for the confusion I’m talking about my tank. Just hypo I’m at 14 ppt. Copper and hypo is my dads tank

At this point from what I’m seeing in my tank only the Niger is scratching which is incredibly frustrating as it’s day 8 just counting hypo. along with 16+ days of GC/prazi

I started in November. Since then I had to GC my tank when I first started for a month this was due to inexperience didn’t use a QT. Then a ich outbreak i put copper in the display for 40 days. That was 3 months ago. Now this. I check my water religiosly. I’m ocd with water changes. I have a top of the line skimmer. I feed very light. Does it get any easier? Im reaching a breaking point. This hobby is supposed to be fun and I absolutely love it. The copper treatment was easy. This is by far more frustrating.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the confusion I’m talking about my tank. Just hypo I’m at 14 ppt. Copper and hypo is my dads tank

At this point from what I’m seeing in my tank only the Niger is scratching which is incredibly frustrating as it’s day 8 just counting hypo. along with 16+ days of GC/prazi

I started in November. Since then I had to GC my tank when I first started for a month this was due to inexperience didn’t use a QT. Then a ich outbreak i put copper in the display for 40 days. That was 3 months ago. Now this. I check my water religiosly. I’m ocd with water changes. I have a top of the line skimmer. I feed very light. Does it get any easier? Im reaching a breaking point. This hobby is supposed to be fun and I absolutely love it. The copper treatment was easy. This is by far more frustrating.

So - hyposalinity for ich is tricky. You need to be at 12 ppt or a specific gravity of 1.009 (temperature compensated). Any lower and you will see poor reactions in some fish. Any higher and ich will not be controlled.

Here is my fear though - you need to get down to 12 ppt. However, you’ve already begun to lose fish. Ich is difficult to stop once it gets to that point. My advice is to go to 12 ppt. However, if you do that and more fish die, you might blame my advice, but in reality it was due to the ich not being fully controlled in the first place.

Another option is to start a 2.5 ppm dose of coppersafe today.

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - hyposalinity for ich is tricky. You need to be at 12 ppt or a specific gravity of 1.009 (temperature compensated). Any lower and you will see poor reactions in some fish. Any higher and ich will not be controlled.

Here is my fear though - you need to get down to 12 ppt. However, you’ve already begun to lose fish. Ich is difficult to stop once it gets to that point. My advice is to go to 12 ppt. However, if you do that and more fish die, you might blame my advice, but in reality it was due to the ich not being fully controlled in the first place.

Another option is to start a 2.5 ppm dose of coppersafe today.

Jay
Just to be clear we’re talking about my tank. The fish with the stale ich was my dads. You think it could be ich? I saw ich on my fish 2 months ago I know what it looks like. I haven’t seen not one dot that looks like ich. Niger triggers are very dark obviously wouldn’t ich be visible. Also I have a tang which are ich magnets and he hasn’t had a spot. The reason my hypo was higher was bc I was treating for flukes. I mean wouldn’t ich be visible on any of the fish.

Lol I promise I won’t blame anyone. I have copper power on hand I could start. I just don’t buy that it’s ich. But You’re the expert. I guess 3 weeks with mixed results I should start thinking of other options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear we’re talking about my tank. The fish with the stale ich was my dads. You think it could be ich? I saw ich on my fish 2 months ago I know what it looks like. I haven’t seen not one dot that looks like ich. Niger triggers are very dark obviously wouldn’t ich be visible. Also I have a tang which are ich magnets and he hasn’t had a spot. The reason my hypo was higher was bc I was treating for flukes. I mean wouldn’t ich be visible on any of the fish.

Lol I promise I won’t blame anyone. I have copper power on hand I could start. I just don’t buy that it’s ich. But You’re the expert. I guess 3 weeks with mixed results I should start thinking of other options.
Black ich on the fox tail?

708010BC-DAD5-4F10-B1AD-B5356EA54BDC.png D4E54EC0-F359-4F6D-9EB8-C177C27D51CF.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

O.K., sorry, I have no idea which video is whose tank. I’m always juggling multiple thread here and I guess having two tanks in one thread is just too much for me to track.

Correct, 14 ppt is fine for flukes. I’d just let it run longer, if the Niger’s only symptom is scratching, I’d just give it a full 30 days.

Jay

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dogface puffer stopped eating today. He’s moving slow but he’s not sitting around. No scratching either. Let’s hope he’s just recovering. Or he will be dead in 2 day lol. Is this a death sentence for saltwater fish? If it wasn’t for the eating I would say he improved today hasn’t scratched once.

Ammonia down to .12 after Amquel. Cycling has started nitrite bumped up to .25z

If he does die what fish could I add in the future
Niger Trigger territorial
Bristle tooth is aggressive
Fox face is an angel.

I’m not really interested in lion fish.

Last edited:

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he does die what fish could I add in the future
Looking at the size of your aquarium and the fish currently in it, I'd say the aquarium is stocked. That is, add no more fish. Let the fish in the aquarium have room to grow.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the size of your aquarium and the fish currently in it, I'd say the aquarium is stocked. That is, add no more fish. Let the fish in the aquarium have room to grow.
It would make my life easier. If the puffer dies Only seeing three fish kinda sucks but your right.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day what ever
Ammonia .17
Nitrite is rising .25

No scratching for the puffer still not eating. The tang whose acting completely normal didn’t eat either this morning.

With cichlids not eating was usually a death sentence. Is salt water fish the same?

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day what ever
Ammonia .17
Nitrite is rising .25

No scratching for the puffer still not eating. The tang whose acting completely normal didn’t eat either this morning.

With cichlids not eating was usually a death sentence. Is salt water fish the same?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Puffers do go on hunger strikes more often than most other fish do. I can’t see anything specifically wrong with it in the video though. The other fish look good.
Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish can live weeks without eating, providing it was healthy at the start.

OP
OP
S

sal16cal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fish can live weeks without eating, providing it was healthy at the start.
My tank fluctuates between 76.5 and 79.5 on a particular day depending on my ac use. That wouldn’t cause a problem right.

I’m trying to figure out WHY they got sick. Here are my three theories.
1.temp fluctuations
2. I accidentally fed them spoiled clams a couple times
3 random bad luck

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back