Has been a long road with this tank, just need some honest stocking advice

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short, I am still a novice and had a massive ich outbreak, have recently had to move my tank twice, and lfs closed so I have no one for advice. This tank has been a project (and disaster) for months and I really need some help finalizing my stocking list. If anyone wants the details of everything that has happened with this tank I am happy to provide them but for now I will spare you.

Display Tank:
55 gallons
60-65 lbs of live rock
~40 lbs of sand
Eshopps PSK 100H skimmer
x2 Koralia evolution 850 powerheads
x2 Koralia evolution 425 powerheads

I currently have a flame angel that is 1.5-2" that I had in my tank from my previous apartment that is in a 20 gallon holding tank.

I also have a pair of snowflake clowns ~1.25" each in a holding tank. I will be adding them to the DT this weekend.

In the DT I currently have:
1 molly
1 hi fin red banded goby (~1.5")
1 pistol shrimp

I would like to know what else I could add without overstocking (I am very good at keeping up with water changes if that is any consolation). Here are some ideas that I have:
Firefish (helfrichi, purple, or perhaps 2 or 3 zebra barred)
Carpenter's wrasse (I would really like one of these)
Sailfin or starry blenny
Royal gramma
Some type of cleaner pack from live aquaria

One of my biggest concerns is potential aggression from the flame angel. He appears to fairly mild mannered but I cannot say for sure. Please, I am really struggling here and am trying to avoid another tank disaster. To be honest I am a desperate college student and any help is strongly appreciated.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago you had your Ick outbreak?

#reefsquad

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply! I had the outbreak about a year ago. I used hypo to fight it. Any thoughts on the stocking?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would put the fish you have currently back in the display, and monitor their progress before adding in new fish. Then I would purchase healthy fish from a reputable lfs. Try to get fish that has been in their system for some time. Observe the fish well.

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I took the gamble and purchased a yellow eye kole tang about two months ago and put him in my display. I lost a copperband, chocolate tang, maroon gold nugget, blenny because of ich. My system is two years old.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually quarantined all of my current fish and I am trying to figure out my final stocking list so I can sort out if it is ok for me to put the flame angel in before the new fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back