Hello from Tornado Alley!!!

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Y'all!!!! Reefing from Oklahoma.

I'm a bit skittish in nature so it took a long time to reply to a thread, let alone start one... but I figured it was time I said "hi"... especially since both of my reef tanks have been R2R powered: a 20g for 6 months to make sure I had the chops for the hobby, and now my current joy.

My current tank is a back-drilled 75 gallon I got used from my LFS. It's now only a little over 3 months old, so I'm still trying to dial everything in, clean algae when needed, and figure out schedules.

20190605_090205.jpg

I recently upgraded to 2 AI Prime HDs from 2 Current USA IC's. I have plans to purchase 2 more primes for my softie/LPS wonderland but for now 2 Primes are miles better than what I had, and the few corals I have are loving it.

My sump is a DIY 20 gallon long.

20190601_135937.jpg

Again, still working out kinks.

10" ingress with mesh socks and skimmer. 10" refugium serving chaeto only, for now, tumbling with a powerhead. 2" filter media/bubble trap section and the rest for the return.

Again, the entire setup was designed by R2R. It's not the most elegant or expensive, but dang I'm proud of it.

As for me, Xam is pronounced Zam, which is a shortening of my gaming nickname I've used for years and years. I live in Oklahoma which, oddly enough being the epitome of land-locked, has a wonderful reefing community.

I work IT Security and am prone to not trusting anything, hence the delay in posting this... though I'm trying to branch out so it was either Facebook or R2R... lol Facebook no.

I have a wonderful wife who supports my addiction hobby, as long as she just has to admire the tank and gets to name fish and doesnt look too closely at expenditures.

I dropped beer brewing to reef. You can only have so many expensive hobbies. ;) I kept my boom stick membership.

Anyway, that's me on a frag plug. Thanks R2R family for the plethora of info and help throughout my reefing life! Speaking for all the lurkers, you rock way more than you know.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so glad you introduced yourself. The 75 is one of my favorite aquarium sizes. There is so much you can do with it. I hope you build a build thread under "member tanks" so we can follow your progress. Glad you get to know you!
Fortnite.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Your system looks great! We're glad that you introduced yourself! I encourage you to start a build thread so that we can understand how you got your tank to this point, what is in it, and what you learned along the way.

The good news with the craft brewing equipment is that you now have all of the equipment and much of the knowledge to raise your own phytoplankton and other live foods! :)

OP
OP
Xam

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Welcome to R2R!

Thanks Antics!!!

Welcome. Bet u I got a great battery backup :)

Bro, I can work without power for an estimated 12 hours, with 8 tested. The problem is, now I end up shutting systems down to power heaters and return pumps. 2 hours in: sorry my power is out Bam! I'm unhooking systems to make sure my aquatic amigos are going to be ok :p thanks William!

I'm so glad you introduced yourself. The 75 is one of my favorite aquarium sizes. There is so much you can do with it. I hope you build a build thread under "member tanks" so we can follow your progress. Glad you get to know you!

Thank you Salty! I know I need to... I may have enough pics for it. I will try.

Hello from lighting alley! Lol

Heya Rob! I didnt understand Florida (I'm guessing florida?) Weather until a coworker from west palm wouldn't shut up about how he waited a year for his new windows. I finally asked him what the big deal was and he filled me in. Holy cow! You guys deal with the same wind shears as us on a really bad day, just in a different way. It opened my eyes. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to R2R

Thanks Bryson!

Welcome to R2R!

Thank you Crabs! I've been reading your posts forever, and have learned tons from you. Glad to meet you!

Welcome to R2R!!! Your system looks great! We're glad that you introduced yourself! I encourage you to start a build thread so that we can understand how you got your tank to this point, what is in it, and what you learned along the way.

The good news with the craft brewing equipment is that you now have all of the equipment and much of the knowledge to raise your own phytoplankton and other live foods! :)

Thanks Peace! I've been reading your posts for a while too! Glad to meet you as well! The brewing primed me for reefing, I think. I miss it, but now I'll have to dig into growing live foods. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Thanks Mjrenz! Still following baby Dory. That whole thread is a great example of why I'm even here.

Thanks for taking the time to say hello.. Welcome to R2R!

Thanks Retro!

Thank you lapin!

We all were "lurkers" at some point! Lol

Lol yeah, I have about a year under my belt and im slightly ashamed it took me this long to post. Thank you for the kind welcome!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Crabs! I've been reading your posts forever, and have learned tons from you. Glad to meet you!
I'm flattered! Thank you :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back