Welcome to the active side of R2R!

tenor.gif

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
People are super nice here. Your pics look great! You might want to take a look at some of the threads about power outage equipment since you live in the alley. Having an oh crap can turn into a nightmare if you aren't prepared.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy Y'all!!!! Reefing from Oklahoma.

I'm a bit skittish in nature so it took a long time to reply to a thread, let alone start one... but I figured it was time I said "hi"... especially since both of my reef tanks have been R2R powered: a 20g for 6 months to make sure I had the chops for the hobby, and now my current joy.

My current tank is a back-drilled 75 gallon I got used from my LFS. It's now only a little over 3 months old, so I'm still trying to dial everything in, clean algae when needed, and figure out schedules.

20190605_090205.jpg

I recently upgraded to 2 AI Prime HDs from 2 Current USA IC's. I have plans to purchase 2 more primes for my softie/LPS wonderland but for now 2 Primes are miles better than what I had, and the few corals I have are loving it.

My sump is a DIY 20 gallon long.

20190601_135937.jpg

Again, still working out kinks.

10" ingress with mesh socks and skimmer. 10" refugium serving chaeto only, for now, tumbling with a powerhead. 2" filter media/bubble trap section and the rest for the return.

Again, the entire setup was designed by R2R. It's not the most elegant or expensive, but dang I'm proud of it.

As for me, Xam is pronounced Zam, which is a shortening of my gaming nickname I've used for years and years. I live in Oklahoma which, oddly enough being the epitome of land-locked, has a wonderful reefing community.

I work IT Security and am prone to not trusting anything, hence the delay in posting this... though I'm trying to branch out so it was either Facebook or R2R... lol Facebook no.

I have a wonderful wife who supports my addiction hobby, as long as she just has to admire the tank and gets to name fish and doesnt look too closely at expenditures.

I dropped beer brewing to reef. You can only have so many expensive hobbies. ;) I kept my boom stick membership.

Anyway, that's me on a frag plug. Thanks R2R family for the plethora of info and help throughout my reefing life! Speaking for all the lurkers, you rock way more than you know.
Boom stick member as well! Nice tank and welcome to R2R.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Antics!!!

Bro, I can work without power for an estimated 12 hours, with 8 tested. The problem is, now I end up shutting systems down to power heaters and return pumps. 2 hours in: sorry my power is out Bam! I'm unhooking systems to make sure my aquatic amigos are going to be ok :p thanks William!

Thank you Salty! I know I need to... I may have enough pics for it. I will try.

Heya Rob! I didnt understand Florida (I'm guessing florida?) Weather until a coworker from west palm wouldn't shut up about how he waited a year for his new windows. I finally asked him what the big deal was and he filled me in. Holy cow! You guys deal with the same wind shears as us on a really bad day, just in a different way. It opened my eyes. Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks Bryson!

Thank you Crabs! I've been reading your posts forever, and have learned tons from you. Glad to meet you!

Thanks Peace! I've been reading your posts for a while too! Glad to meet you as well! The brewing primed me for reefing, I think. I miss it, but now I'll have to dig into growing live foods. I'll take a look. Thanks!

Thanks Mjrenz! Still following baby Dory. That whole thread is a great example of why I'm even here.

Thanks Retro!

Thank you lapin!

Lol yeah, I have about a year under my belt and im slightly ashamed it took me this long to post. Thank you for the kind welcome!
Florida... you guessed right! And now that its June, I can set my watch by the weather. Every summer afternoon right around 3:30 will start with lightning and thunderstorms. All that hot steam coming off the Everglades makes for some really nasty afternoon storms.

OP
OP
Xam

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Thanks Hemmdog! Glad to finally meet ya!

I love your intro, so glad you came out of lurking to say hello :)

Welcome!

Thank you ngoodermuth!!!!! I know my pets are in good hands with yours, fords and humbles (and so many more) advice!!!

What a great Intro! Welcome good luck and let’s see more!

Thanks tdlawdo! I'll have to up my photo game and finally, really dig into the photo forum here. :)

Welcome home, you will love it here!

Beautiful tank, thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks 4ford!!! I've already learned to trust your experience as well. :cool: Thanks for being so welcoming!

Welcome to r2r!

Thanks Goldeneye!!!

Welcome to R2R!!!

Thank you Billdg!!

Welcome to reef2reef !!!

Thanks James!

Welcome to the active side of R2R!

Thanks for the warm welcome crusso!

People are super nice here. Your pics look great! You might want to take a look at some of the threads about power outage equipment since you live in the alley. Having an oh crap can turn into a nightmare if you aren't prepared.

Thanks Katrina! Truth. ;) I already have an army of battery backups for working, and they're strategically (read frantically) reassigned to the tank during an outage. A dedicated backup for the tank is on my list, if I could just stop buying other things for the tank :D

Boom stick member as well! Nice tank and welcome to R2R.
Florida... you guessed right! And now that its June, I can set my watch by the weather. Every summer afternoon right around 3:30 will start with lightning and thunderstorms. All that hot steam coming off the Everglades makes for some really nasty afternoon storms.

Oh yeah hehe I'm fair at 600 yard precision, but still awful at skeet. I'll get there.

Oh wow! I didnt realize it was that intense. Funny you mention the watch; we can also set ours, by how far the trees bend.

Welcome to R2R neighbor !!!

Thanks Hitman!!!

Welcome to R2R!!!

Thank you KJ!

Welcome to R2R!!!

I appreciate it, Emarley!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Xam

Xam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 33 39.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back