Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, Adrianna!

You came to a great place! It’s a good thing that you like to talk because that’s what we are here for. :)

Don’t forget to start a build thread so we can follow along with your journey.

FC352F76-1153-4B06-94CE-CB5902596E33.gif
Yes of course I will document every step!

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that information. I didn't know salt would cost that much and I'm sure to start-up the tank will be a pretty penny too. I do want a lot of different fish and a lot of room in my tank. I watch Tanked a lot, so I dream big :) My boyfriend and I have a ranch style house with a finished basement, so we are thinking the basement would be the best place for us to put our tank. Even though it's finished, there is a big space that has no furniture yet and it's right when you walk down the stairs. I think it would be nice for use to have a TV/game area with the tank next to it against the wall.
That sounds like a fun room.
The price of salt depends on a few factors. TP Pro is about 95dollars for the big buckets, RSCP isn't too far off, the cheapest being instant ocean and io reef Crystal's. However, for the most part IO and IORC are readily available at most pet stores, and RSCP and TMP are not. Tropic marine is completely artificial, consistent, clean , and fast mixing. Reef Crystals isn't, (at least to the level of Tropic Marin).
They all have pros and cons. With a bigger tank, like 240+ you may go through a bucket and a half of TMP just to fill, then depending on your water changes, one bucket every 2 months or so, which adds up fast. But you have a cleaner product.
Same tank with IO, same water change schedule would run you about 1/4 of the price per year.
There are of course many other salts, and there is more than a few salt comparison threads here on R2R for you to decide on your own.
I personally am finishing up my first IORC bucket, and probably will not get it again. My levels have been sporadic since using it. It could be just a bad bucket though.

OP
OP
Adrianna

Adrianna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a fun room.
The price of salt depends on a few factors. TP Pro is about 95dollars for the big buckets, RSCP isn't too far off, the cheapest being instant ocean and io reef Crystal's. However, for the most part IO and IORC are readily available at most pet stores, and RSCP and TMP are not. Tropic marine is completely artificial, consistent, clean , and fast mixing. Reef Crystals isn't, (at least to the level of Tropic Marin).
They all have pros and cons. With a bigger tank, like 240+ you may go through a bucket and a half of TMP just to fill, then depending on your water changes, one bucket every 2 months or so, which adds up fast. But you have a cleaner product.
Same tank with IO, same water change schedule would run you about 1/4 of the price per year.
There are of course many other salts, and there is more than a few salt comparison threads here on R2R for you to decide on your own.
I personally am finishing up my first IORC bucket, and probably will not get it again. My levels have been sporadic since using it. It could be just a bad bucket though.
Thanks for that information. That is very helpful to me!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I can’t wait to follow your build thread! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back