10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 Can I use this? All I can get

91EB7D1C-0F43-4AE7-8FEE-A907DF0B8F72.jpeg
06BFC6FE-AA6B-47EB-A542-8C8C203A1C67.jpeg
Yes - follow the directions. I'm not sure that the concentration in that drug is the same as the anti-parasite. If you can check that as well - but in any case - you can start with that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to make a new thread since the old one is just getting buried with information and I need the help ASAP.

So, to update, yesterday I believed my clownfish had brook. Excess slime coat, rapid breathing, wouldn't settle in the tank.

I took him out, freshwater dipped and placed him in a 10G bucket with sterile salt water, a heater and filter.

Today, he's still breathing rapidly and his colouration isn't fantastic but he's also acting less weird. Still isn't eating. However, now he has a clouded eye on his right that wasn't there before.

I'm wanting to go to the LFS to try get meds so if anyone can help me identify what's actually wrong with him ASAP that would be great.

To note: The other clownfish I bought on the same day is 100% fine, eating, chosen an anemone to live in, swimming and breathing normally.

#fishmedics

clownfish.png

I saw your PM before I got to this post. Let's keep the conversation located here, it helps me keep things clear. Here is what I wrote via PM:

The clown is still breathing REALLY fast. The single cloudy eye is usually an indication of an abrasion. If it were eye flukes or other generalized issues, both eyes would be cloudy.

There are some huge drawbacks to simple visual diagnosis - this is one case where it isn't possible to say if this is Brooklynella or Amyloodinium (velvet) although I do think you can rule out water quality issues since the fish was moved to a new situation.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw your PM before I got to this post. Let's keep the conversation located here, it helps me keep things clear. Here is what I wrote via PM:

The clown is still breathing REALLY fast. The single cloudy eye is usually an indication of an abrasion. If it were eye flukes or other generalized issues, both eyes would be cloudy.

There are some huge drawbacks to simple visual diagnosis - this is one case where it isn't possible to say if this is Brooklynella or Amyloodinium (velvet) although I do think you can rule out water quality issues since the fish was moved to a new situation.

Jay
I have worked out a deal to get a quarantine tank and some meds off a local reefer, I’m taking the one in the picture above. Hoping that’s enough to help.

He will be here within a few hours I’ll get the tank setup, dip him and move him to the QT tank for 6 weeks. If any symptoms show up on my other clownfish I’ll also move him, otherwise I may be inclined to suggest it could be velvet and localised to one fish?

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the second clownfish, I’d just like to confirm (for now) that she looks completely healthy and nothing to worry about for now

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1

I’ve just gotten a quarantine tank delivered from a local reefer and these two medicines.

which ones should I use?

The interactions are a bit wacky, they both want to be used IN AQUARIUM not as dips so how would you suggest I proceed?

4DD03C6B-DEEB-4F5B-A71B-C2757D4034ED.jpeg
D526B6CF-A327-48ED-BD64-04FB423A88F5.jpeg
CE924420-E823-4469-A64F-8411B3ADB99D.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay so @Jay Hemdal @MnFish1

I’ve just gotten a quarantine tank delivered from a local reefer and these two medicines.

which ones should I use?

The interactions are a bit wacky, they both want to be used IN AQUARIUM not as dips so how would you suggest I proceed?

4DD03C6B-DEEB-4F5B-A71B-C2757D4034ED.jpeg
D526B6CF-A327-48ED-BD64-04FB423A88F5.jpeg
CE924420-E823-4469-A64F-8411B3ADB99D.jpeg
I would use the marine anti parasite - in a hospital 'tank'. Right - I think a couple of people have mentioned - a dip is a kind of stop-gap - not a cure. Follow the directions exactly - paying special attention to the actual volume of water that you're putting in the tank. GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the marine anti parasite - in a hospital 'tank'. Right - I think a couple of people have mentioned - a dip is a kind of stop-gap - not a cure. Follow the directions exactly - paying special attention to the actual volume of water that you're putting in the tank. GOOD LUCK
Yep that’s what I got, just a little 20 litre hospital tank with blacked out sides and back. So just pop him in there with new sterile salt water and start the treatment as directed on the bottle? I think it’s like 14 days of 1ml a day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep that’s what I got, just a little 20 litre hospital tank with blacked out sides and back. So just pop him in there with new sterile salt water and start the treatment as directed on the bottle? I think it’s like 14 days of 1ml a day.
If that's what the bottle says - that's what I would do. Like I said - you should treat ALL of your fish - not one - IMHO. Then there is the 6 week fallow period (unfortunately) @Jay Hemdal any recommendations on a shorter fallow period for brookylnella?

BTW - I apologize I don't remember - do you have corals / inverts in your tank

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's what the bottle says - that's what I would do. Like I said - you should treat ALL of your fish - not one - IMHO. Then there is the 6 week fallow period (unfortunately) @Jay Hemdal any recommendations on a shorter fallow period for brookylnella?

BTW - I apologize I don't remember - do you have corals / inverts in your tank
Yeah I have coral and inverts, no need to apologise!

I’m scared of stressing the other clown out and putting it through unnecessary medications, but I can absolutely see the value of a fallow period, even though I just ended one LOL literally two days before I added these fish.

I just want to confirm, I’m OKAY running this tank in my office where I spend 10 hours a day since it’ll be running this medication that includes formaldehyde? I won’t see any ill effects from constant evaporation etc etc. I spend a LONG time in there and don’t want to be harming myself.

I’m an anxious person especially with chemicals and medication (human kind lol)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I have coral and inverts, no need to apologise!

I’m scared of stressing the other clown out and putting it through unnecessary medications, but I can absolutely see the value of a fallow period, even though I just ended one LOL literally two days before I added these fish.

I just want to confirm, I’m OKAY running this tank in my office where I spend 10 hours a day since it’ll be running this medication that includes formaldehyde? I won’t see any ill effects from constant evaporation etc etc. I spend a LONG time in there and don’t want to be harming myself.
I would not worry. The medications are necessary - IMHO - to prevent your treated fish from getting re-infected. And - it could very well be - that your second fish will come down with symptoms. The concentration is LOW.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry. The medications are necessary - IMHO - to prevent your treated fish from getting re-infected. And - it could very well be - that your second fish will come down with symptoms. The concentration is LOW.
Thank you for answering all my questions no matter how dumb they are lol

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow pretty bad situation. Don’t have suggestions for how to cure brook without formalin, but as a hobby we do need to add QT supplies, including meds for common diseases, to the list of essential beginner items. Things like copper, prazi, formalin, etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow pretty bad situation. Don’t have suggestions for how to cure brook without formalin, but as a hobby we do need to add QT supplies, including meds for common diseases, to the list of essential beginner items. Things like copper, prazi, formalin, etc
His product contains formalin.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty bad, but he’s not dead yet so it’s not the worst situation possible lol!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Careful! You cannot use that product without a copper test kit. Copper plus formalin is a scary combination - something I would never do. I am quite surprised this company came up with that formulation. Copper is dosed up to a specific level (probably 0.20 ppm for this product) and formalin is dosed at 25 ppm daily. Formalin dissipate daily, so must be added again, but some copper will remain day to day and that amount can change over time, so you need a test kit to tell you that. ... there really is no way to reconcile those two medications in the same dose.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful! You cannot use that product without a copper test kit. Copper plus formalin is a scary combination - something I would never do. I am quite surprised this company came up with that formulation. Copper is dosed up to a specific level (probably 0.20 ppm for this product) and formalin is dosed at 25 ppm daily. Formalin dissipate daily, so must be added again, but some copper will remain day to day and that amount can change over time, so you need a test kit to tell you that. ... there really is no way to reconcile those two medications in the same dose.

Jay
Riiiight, so what about the other bottle? Can I just water change every day to remove the copper? It's hard to know what to do here with conflicting info now. I was just about to get it setup and put him in. Again, straight formalin is not really an option. I won't be able to get any for 3-4 days and it will be too late, so I need to do something with what I have.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Riiiight, so what about the other bottle? Can I just water change every day to remove the copper? It's hard to know what to do here with conflicting info now. I was just about to get it setup and put him in. Again, straight formalin is not really an option. I won't be able to get any for 3-4 days and it will be too late, so I need to do something with what I have.
Sorry - I can't tell you about the other product without knowing the ingredients. You know, I'm also worried about the age of these products - the bottles are really shop worn, and I think this company has updated its packaging. How old is this stuff?

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I can't tell you about he other product without knowing the ingredients. You know, I'm also worried about the age of these products - the bottles are really shop worn, and I think this company has updated its packaging. How old is this stuff?

Jay
These are the ingredients

6B5F05CF-8791-48AF-8A22-60082FEA712E.jpeg

I’m unsure on age, bottle says it’s good for 6 months.

I can have a seachem copper test kit delivered today by Amazon if that’s the best route

Back