OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2834.JPG

Only a few spots, but I'm afraid of the worst. A couple on his side and two on his fin.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd that the biggest one has that black dot in the center. The rest look like they could be ich. It wouldn't be fun if you got the strain of ich that can last that long in a fallow period. You treated with copper only during QT right?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's odd that the biggest one has that black dot in the center. The rest look like they could be ich. It wouldn't be fun if you got the strain of ich that can last that long in a fallow period. You treated with copper only during QT right?
yeah, no kidding! Yes used coppersafe at 2.0 pp. for 30 days then started bringing it down, which took awhile so they probably had 2.0 for closer to 35 days. I would really hate to have to qt them again, whats the longest know strain? may have to go fallow a lot longer next time.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, no kidding! Yes used coppersafe at 2.0 pp. for 30 days then started bringing it down, which took awhile so they probably had 2.0 for closer to 35 days. I would really hate to have to qt them again, whats the longest know strain? may have to go fallow a lot longer next time.

Well the longest known (tested) is what the 76 days fallow is for. That doesn't account for cross contamination of course. If it's ick - again- then we have the long strain (or maybe an unknown longer one) or there was cross contamination. For now, lets monitor the spots and see what they do. how long they stay there. Do they get bigger? No need to just yank them back out since, if it's ick, then the tank is already contaminated so a few more days to see what developes won't effect that.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure that's ich. I would let things ride for a few days before taking any action. Are all your fish still eating & acting normally?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not so sure that's ich. I would let things ride for a few days before taking any action. Are all your fish still eating & acting normally?
Everyone is eating well, I guess Sonny, the tang isnt as an agressive eater as normal, but is eating. he normally goes crazy when I feed, but has been more tame since going back in the DT. I was planning to prazipro them but didnt get around to it because of the green water fiasco.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking they look like flukes. Can't explain the black dot though. They look fairly translucent to me.

Any chance you can catch one and do a FW dip?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking they look like flukes. Can't explain the black dot though. They look fairly translucent to me.

Any chance you can catch one and do a FW dip?
I can try, he's fast and good at hiding!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try, he's fast and good at hiding!
Doesn't have to be that fish. In theory, if one fish in your system has them they all should. Catch the easiest one and try with it.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't have to be that fish. In theory, if one fish in your system has them they all should. Catch the easiest one and try with it.
I will try tonight! Im Guessing if it is flukes they should fall off?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, have the lights off and everything ready to go, not too sure I'll be able to get him. I think he's on to my tricks, I still only see maybe 5 specks. The black in the picture must have been my iPhone taking a crappy pic, it is just a white speck sticking out from the body. If I can't catch him, should I dose praxi? I do have a couple feather dusters in there.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, have the lights off and everything ready to go, not too sure I'll be able to get him. I think he's on to my tricks, I still only see maybe 5 specks. The black in the picture must have been my iPhone taking a crappy pic, it is just a white speck sticking out from the body. If I can't catch him, should I dose praxi? I do have a couple feather dusters in there.
Prazi will kill the feather dusters so I would try to catch him to get the positive ID. :(

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they were completely white... all of them... and that was just a trick of the camera, then you are probably dealing with ich again. The freshwater dip is still a good idea if you can get him for it. If you do, then go ahead and put him back into the QT after. No sense in having to catch him again later.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Been giving nori daily last few days, tang's appetite is back in full force, everyone else shows no signs of any specks and is eating normally. I am still unsuccessful in my attempts to catch him however. Now to the weird part, I have been checking on him as much as I can, and the specks on him are shrinking in size, a few have shrunk and then disappeared, but the largest one that may or may not have had a black spot is roughly half the size it was. Any ideas?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Been giving nori daily last few days, tang's appetite is back in full force, everyone else shows no signs of any specks and is eating normally. I am still unsuccessful in my attempts to catch him however. Now to the weird part, I have been checking on him as much as I can, and the specks on him are shrinking in size, a few have shrunk and then disappeared, but the largest one that may or may not have had a black spot is roughly half the size it was. Any ideas?

It could be more of a "skin condition" than a reaction to a parasite or worm. The black head in the center of the white dot doesn't line up with any known disease. :confused:

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be more of a "skin condition" than a reaction to a parasite or worm. The black head in the center of the white dot doesn't line up with any known disease. :confused:
I sure hope so, will keep an eye on it and keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!!!
On a side note, with PraxiPro, if I move my dusters to my coral qt, and treat the main tank would I be able to put them back in afterwards, how long does it take the active ingredients to breakdown?

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure hope so, will keep an eye on it and keep you all posted. Thanks for the help!!!
On a side note, with PraxiPro, if I move my dusters to my coral qt, and treat the main tank would I be able to put them back in afterwards, how long does it take the active ingredients to breakdown?

I put my feather dusters back in about 3 days after the final water change (after the second dose) without any problems.

To me, it seemed like Prazi quit doing its job at day 3. So if you dosed on Friday, it will pretty much be broken down by Monday for sure. But you have to do a final water change before putting the dusters back in.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back