OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my feather dusters back in about 3 days after the final water change (after the second dose) without any problems.

To me, it seemed like Prazi quit doing its job at day 3. So if you dosed on Friday, it will pretty much be broken down by Monday for sure. But you have to do a final water change before putting the dusters back in.
Thanks! how much of a water change did you do? i might need some more buckets, haha

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! how much of a water change did you do? i might need some more buckets, haha
Glad to hear your fish are improving!

You can use GAC to help get rid of the Prazi, too.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is only active in the water for 48 hours and takes only 24 hours to do it's work. Remember that you will have to dose it again 5-7 days after the first dose and a water change. You may want to keep your dusters out of the display for the full 9 or so days.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while feeding and observing this morning before work, it looks as if the white specks are gone, the largest one is gone, but there is a noticeable discolored skin spot where it was. Looking back, the white spots appeared on Sunday and lets say gone yesterday, so 4 days. I will keep monitoring, hoping it doesn't come back.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, while feeding and observing this morning before work, it looks as if the white specks are gone, the largest one is gone, but there is a noticeable discolored skin spot where it was. Looking back, the white spots appeared on Sunday and lets say gone yesterday, so 4 days. I will keep monitoring, hoping it doesn't come back.
Did you notice if it looked like they were getting smaller before they were gone? Or did it keep getting larger then disappear?

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice if it looked like they were getting smaller before they were gone? Or did it keep getting larger then disappear?
they were getting smaller, before disappearing

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The timeline (4 days) lines up with ich, but getting smaller before disappearing does not. Usually the opposite happens.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the spots got smaller before disappearing... what does that mean?
I'm hoping it means that the dots are something that healed, as opposed to a parasite that dropped off.

Call it the optimist in me. ;)

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, it was really weird. the big one with the black center in the picture, was quite a bit bigger then the ich spots I had before the fallow period, and was extended out from the surface almost as much as it was wide, maybe more. I wish I had taken more pictures.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys, got back from Mexico a few days ago, my fish babysitters( mom-in-law and two daughters) did not see any spots and I havent either, so its been close to 2 weeks without anything coming back. Am I in the clear? I cant seem to find much info on how long ich can go between infestation(spots).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find much info on how long ich can go between infestation(spots).

2 weeks on average, but some variants can remain encysted for longer without releasing free swimmers. 72 days in one extreme case. :eek:

Also, not all species of fish will show trophonts (white spots) on the skin. If a fish has a thick mucous coat, the infestation will often remain confined to the gills.

OP
OP
Double J

Double J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks on average, but some variants can remain encysted for longer without releasing free swimmers. 72 days in one extreme case. :eek:

Also, not all species of fish will show trophonts (white spots) on the skin. If a fish has a thick mucous coat, the infestation will often remain confined to the gills.
Thanks! not what i was hoping to hear, but now i know.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back