Ich won't kill fish?!

ikegolani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the water that is cycled. The water column from an established tank carries very little of the beneficial bacteria. It's the mediums of filtration (sponge/floss/charcoal), substrate, rock that provide the needed beneficial bacteria in an adequate amount.
It's incredible how much misinformation is out there. Thanks for pointing that out.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With TTM, you can also use ammonia blockers and that makes the game SO much easier than with copper. You also don't have to chase pH, like you do with hypo.

I'm one of those that experienced the hypo resistant Ich. At the time we didn't know that was the part of treatment that failed. I had the fish in hypo for three months.... I didn't just leave the tank fallow, but had the fish at 1.008 the entire time. We figured the failure was with the fallow tank, but had nothing to support that either. I was smacking my forehead when the news came out that there was Ich that could tolerate lower levels of salinity than our fish can. There was an outbreak of Ich in waters with a specific gravity of 1.004 in Chiayi, Taiwan. How would we know if we had that variety or not?

ikegolani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All that is why Tank Transfer method is my favorite way to treat for ick. It doesn't use meds unless your combining other treatments with it like Prazipro. I've seen many instances where ick wasn't taken care of with hypo and that's because there are several strains that are resistant. Also, I keep hundreds of fish in copper at the LFS I work at and rarely have a problem with them not eating, but I use CopperSafe which is a chelated copper and much easier on the fish than Cuppramine. That's just my experience with it and I know there are fish that are sensitive to copper and I dont keep them in the copper system. Just my 2 cents :)
That's a good point, I haven't used chelted copper, just cupermind, which I will never use again. I always found the transfer to transfer method intresting, I have actually taken the time to study the pathogen, so it makes perfect sense. I might try it one day. I just have had great success with hypo and it has worked every time for me. I suppose I have been lucky I hadn't run in to a bad strain. I'm sure you have seen all sorts of nasty ones working at an LFS.

ikegolani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point, I haven't used chelted copper, just cupermind, which I will never use again. I always found the transfer to transfer method intresting, I have actually taken the time to study the pathogen, so it makes perfect sense. I might try it one day. I just have had great success with hypo and it has worked every time for me. I suppose I have been lucky I hadn't run in to a bad strain. I'm sure you have seen all sorts of nasty ones working at an LFS.
Do you use vinegar or bleach to clean the tank? Which one is easier and effective?
It's incredible how much misinformation is out there. Thanks for pointing that out.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you think you need bacteria in the water. He can leave the DT fish less for the 78 days and put his one little fish in a small 5.5g bare bottom tank with a small heater and a small powerhead/filter unit. This can be done under $40. Hypo that fish and change 50% of the water a day, that way you never give a chance for the tank to cycle. Have 5g buckets pre mixed for changing water. Once you get the system down its easy. All fish in my system have had success with this. I have treated an outbreak with 100% success.
First, I think water should has some bacteria either freshwater or saltwater. I may wrong but that is I read, research, asking friend who is owner fish store.
Second, If I am in this issue I will put that small fish to the beach and let DT with fish less whatever I want without headache and save money for purchase new fishes.
In here, we may discuss with metal is good for him and convenience. I posted from other thread of my opinion and what I did in the past and help other friend when their fishes got ICH. I can copy and paste to here for you read it.
The story is this man setup quarantine tank to treat fish then fish die cause ammonia.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-quarantine-log.245650/

This is my opinion only.
First, you need setup QT and it has goes through complete cycles then you can pick any option below to treat your fishes. Most of fishes die while treatment is not because ICH. They are die because they cannot handle ammonia spike or nitrite spike. Besides that, you will spend extra money to buy those kind of Stability, ammonia alert, prime, Malachite green/Methylene blue, Furan-2 or Mitrofuracin Green powder…etc..

Once your Quarantine tank cycled then you don’t need to worry any else, just concentrate to treat your fishes. And here are options you can choose:

Option 1: Cupmarine or Cooper

Introduce your fishes to QT then follow direction of the treatment (30 days treatment). The different here is your quarantine tank had cycled so you and your fishes don’t need to deal ammonia or nitrite as new QT. I don’t need write everything down in here, the link in this forum will show how to treat cooper.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/treatment-options.247573/

Option 2: Hypo salinity

Low SG at Quarantine tank to treat your fish and same as I said above, you are not worry about ammonia or nitrite, just be sure your sg around 1.007 to 1.009 max (30 days treatment then increase sg). Please follow instruction from the link in this forum:

Option 3: Transfer Tank metal (TTM)

At this metal, keep your QT had cycled run by itself without fishes. Looking for 2 big buckets, mix saltwater in QT with fresh saltwater in the bucket then introduce fishes in there with heater and power head and air pump. Refill fresh saltwater into quarantine tank for next batch. That is difference between me and the link show is I keep QT had pass cycled for the last, using QT saltwater for TTM.

After you finished the treatment, you can put all your fishes in quarantine tank for other 2 months without any worry because the tank already went through the cycled. (Total 15 days treatment)

Option 4: This option I created by myself that is Hypo salinity and TTM combination

With this metal, I save a lot of mix salt by hypo and reduce half of treatment time of hypo salinity by TTM

I use saltwater from QT mix with RO/DI water in the big bucket to 1.007 ~ 1.009 with heater, powerhead and air pump then transfer fishes to other bucket every 3 days to 5 times. After the treatment finish, put those fishes to quarantine tank WITH SAME SG. 1.007 ~ 1.009 then slowly increase sg then wait to put back DT when it is ready.

With your Quarantine tank is cycled as I said above, your fishes will less stress and yourself too. You are not check ammonia, nitrite 3 times a day anymore, you don’t need buy some extra medicine not relate to illness and you can sleep well.

This is just my opinion, I am not arguing to anybody in here, I just want fish owner know you will have a lot of problems behind the scene when your quarantine tank doesn’t pass cycle yet and no one will help you right away as you expected. Your expensive fishes’ life cannot wait any longer. The different I offer to you other than people in here is your QUARANTINE TANK must go through cycle before any treatment come up.

Good luck for next time

ikegolani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I think water should has some bacteria either freshwater or saltwater. I may wrong but that is I read, research, asking friend who is owner fish store.
Second, If I am in this issue I will put that small fish to the beach and let DT with fish less whatever I want without headache and save money for purchase new fishes.
In here, we may discuss with metal is good for him and convenience. I posted from other thread of my opinion and what I did in the past and help other friend when their fishes got ICH. I can copy and paste to here for you read it.
The story is this man setup quarantine tank to treat fish then fish die cause ammonia.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-first-quarantine-log.245650/

This is my opinion only.
First, you need setup QT and it has goes through complete cycles then you can pick any option below to treat your fishes. Most of fishes die while treatment is not because ICH. They are die because they cannot handle ammonia spike or nitrite spike. Besides that, you will spend extra money to buy those kind of Stability, ammonia alert, prime, Malachite green/Methylene blue, Furan-2 or Mitrofuracin Green powder…etc..

Once your Quarantine tank cycled then you don’t need to worry any else, just concentrate to treat your fishes. And here are options you can choose:

Option 1: Cupmarine or Cooper

Introduce your fishes to QT then follow direction of the treatment (30 days treatment). The different here is your quarantine tank had cycled so you and your fishes don’t need to deal ammonia or nitrite as new QT. I don’t need write everything down in here, the link in this forum will show how to treat cooper.

Option 2: Hypo salinity

Low SG at Quarantine tank to treat your fish and same as I said above, you are not worry about ammonia or nitrite, just be sure your sg around 1.007 to 1.009 max (30 days treatment then increase sg). Please follow instruction from the link in this forum:

Option 3: Transfer Tank metal (TTM)

At this metal, keep your QT had cycled run by itself without fishes. Looking for 2 big buckets, mix saltwater in QT with fresh saltwater in the bucket then introduce fishes in there with heater and power head and air pump. Refill fresh saltwater into quarantine tank for next batch. That is difference between me and the link show is I keep QT had pass cycled for the last, using QT saltwater for TTM.

After you finished the treatment, you can put all your fishes in quarantine tank for other 2 months without any worry because the tank already went through the cycled. (Total 15 days treatment)

Option 4: This option I created by myself that is Hypo salinity and TTM combination

With this metal, I save a lot of mix salt by hypo and reduce half of treatment time of hypo salinity by TTM

I use saltwater from QT mix with RO/DI water in the big bucket to 1.007 ~ 1.009 with heater, powerhead and air pump then transfer fishes to other bucket every 3 days to 5 times. After the treatment finish, put those fishes to quarantine tank WITH SAME SG. 1.007 ~ 1.009 then slowly increase sg then wait to put back DT when it is ready.

With your Quarantine tank is cycled as I said above, your fishes will less stress and yourself too. You are not check ammonia, nitrite 3 times a day anymore, you don’t need buy some extra medicine not relate to illness and you can sleep well.

This is just my opinion, I am not arguing to anybody in here, I just want fish owner know you will have a lot of problems behind the scene when your quarantine tank doesn’t pass cycle yet and no one will help you right away as you expected. Your expensive fishes’ life cannot wait any longer. The different I offer to you other than people in here is your QUARANTINE TANK must go through cycle before any treatment come up.

Good luck for next time
You are on the right track but what I think you are confusing is that the bacteria is present in the water column which it is not. The bacteria grows on the rock and sand, or if available bio balls or pellets. That is the reason porous live rock is important because it gives more surface area for the bacteria to grow on. Hospital tanks will never be cycled, specifically a hypo one, it's just impossible because of the conditions it requires. Hypo tanks need to be bare, which means there is nowhere for the bacteria to colonize. Also hypo tanks drop PH real and the only way to stabilize it is by dosing it with calcium carbonate which is a PITA. I just change over 50% of the water every night and siphon the bottom.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once times I did exactly what you said then the next morning half of my fishes die cause Nitrite too high.

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you said Quarantine tank never be cycled? ???? Ok, i am not say you wrong but my QT had cycled, it still run right now with HOB filter, heater and wavemaker.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....you need to QT him and let the tank go fallow. The QT all new fish. Time line is 76 days of a fallow DT. Any new addition is at risk of infection and not making it.

It's just that his immune system is strong and was able to keep it at bay. He may still develop it but it's definitely still in the tank. You need to starve it out. Rayn's right, qt the damsel and go fallow in DT for 76 days.

When did it get narrowed down to exactly 76 days?

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hospital tanks will never be cycled.

Please read other advice and how do you think quarantine tank never be cycled.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195588

How to Setup a Quarantine Tank?

This is a question that has been asked and brought up several times. This are lots of ways to do things in this hobby but not all ways are correct or proper or failsafe.
In my years of experience I have learned a few methods that work the best.
I will try to explain my findings and experiences for one's that are seeking knowledge for a great QT system.
First, lets get the equipment out of the way no matter what method you use list of basic hardware will remain consistent.

You don't need to go all out here. A simple tank size of 10 - 20 gallons will suffice for most people. If you have larger fish, then obviously you want to get a bigger quarantine tank. All you really need is a bare bones setup with the following equipment:

1. Some type of filtration (a hang on the back of the tank power filter will work, just use filter floss without the carbon since carbon will remove medication from the water, being counter productive)
2. Heater
3. A power head and/or an air stone for increased surface agitation
4. Aquarium test kits for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate
5. Fish Net - don't use the same net for your main tank

There are 2 of my personal favorite methods that I adopt.
Permanent QT or Emergency QT.

Permanent QT:
This type of setup will require a tank that is permanently running 24/7 awaiting temporary residents when needed. Cost of running such a system is high, but if money is not a problem I recommend this type of setup.
I personally run it myself.

I have a 36gal tank with above mentioned hardware along with an addition of ATO and chiller. My main tank is in-wall tank with back end in the garage. So my QT is also setup in garage thus requiring a need of chiller and ATO.
Every setup will have its own requirements and thus an owner needs to accommodate such needs and wants.

Once all hardware is in place I fill it with new salt water (1.026) and throw in a frozen shrimp to start cycle. Tank is bare bottom with a HOB bio wheeled filter. Let the tank cycle just like a normal tank over few weeks. Keep checking ammonia and nitrites and once zero your tank is cycled and ready to go.
After ammonia and nitrites hit zero do water change 30%. and keep up with regular water changes to prevent nitrates and phos to build.

Remember nothing from this setup ever can be used in your main tank ever if u use copper. so be ready to compromise the heater, chiller, filters, tank etc.

Use this tank as u need it for fish to observe or to treat.
Once setup properly this tank will not require much except ATO or regular replacement of evaporated water wit RO/DI water or a weekly water change.

Emergency QT.
This type of tank is quite favorite among reefers. This does not require a setup that is up and running 24/7. List of hardware is same.
In case you feel a need for a QT, just put together all the equipment and put water from your main tank in it and you are good to go.
Keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites and do water changes as needed.
This method will require relatively more water changes that permanent method as bacterial colonies are not established and thus require a little bit more attention from owner to maintain perfect chemistry.

There are few ways to shorten/cut the attention requirement in this process by adding chemicals like ammonolock or amquel that binds ammonia from being toxic to fish.
Another popular way to seed the tank is to keep extra filters in your main tank's sump and keep them seeded this way and when required pull them and use them in QT.
Just remember if copper is used in QT, those filters cannot go back to sump once QT is taken offline.

I hope reefers will find this informative and useful in order to setup their systems. If there are errors or problems with something stated please correct me as I am just human and can make mistake.
If there are questions concerns comments please feel free to post and share your wisdom together with everyone seeking.

Happy Reefing

Mike

NOTE: Patience is the key to success in life and in reefing.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've NEVER cycled a Q T tank in 13 years. Never had one fish die of ammonia poisoning. I have a purple tang in Q T right now. I set it up when I need it and break it down when I'm done. I could care less about articles, i base my facts off of experience.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
545a97cd86c9af190d33423f5ebfed5e.jpg

tthouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand some of you are really good and can adjust everything if something wrong come up BUT other new hobbies are not same like you. You should show them the SAFE SIDE way. Do not go short cut then "Sorry for your lost".

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you imagine how I was scratching my head at the time?
I had the same thing but I suspect mine was velvet. It took over WHILE in hypo at 1.008. Hit hard and fast.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ikegolani, just for clarification, bacteria is most certainly present in the water column! Advanced aquarist had a really nice paper on this that you can still easily search and find. I can't remember the exact numbers but I'm thinking it was around 20% of denitrifying bacteria was water column! I see post very frequently stating its only on rocks, sand, etc!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back