I'm new and and STRUGGLING.........HELP!

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Rachel, I'm new to saltwater tanks and have a RedSea E 260 currently cycling (day 14) and a QT tank with 2 clowns and a royal gramma waiting to go in it. My issue is that I cannot get the ammonia under control in the QT tank no matter what I do. Frequent and large water changes, Prime, bacteria.....ammonia is off the charts constantly. I'm not sure how much longer the fish will be able to tolerate the conditions but the main tank is still showing elevated levels of ammonia and nitrites as well so I'm lost. What do I do??

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fish in QT showing sighs of distress? Rapid breathing, gasping at the surface? What test kits are you using?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate level?
I would suggest to stop adding bottled stuff to your tank

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Rachel, I'm new to saltwater tanks and have a RedSea E 260 currently cycling (day 14) and a QT tank with 2 clowns and a royal gramma waiting to go in it. My issue is that I cannot get the ammonia under control in the QT tank no matter what I do. Frequent and large water changes, Prime, bacteria.....ammonia is off the charts constantly. I'm not sure how much longer the fish will be able to tolerate the conditions but the main tank is still showing elevated levels of ammonia and nitrites as well so I'm lost. What do I do??
I believe the quickest way to resolve the issue is with vinegar. Dump 2 times tank volume of 5% vinegar in ml and test in 24 to 48 hours. 100 gallon, dump 200 ml vinegar. I have a 22.4 gallon fiji cube and dosed 50 ml. Won't harm the tank in my experience. I've heard prime is a gimmick product regarding bacterial.

Edit: dose to DT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the fish in QT showing sighs of distress? Rapid breathing, gasping at the surface? What test kits are you using?
No gasping at the surface but they do seem like they have rapid breathing and the pattern of swimming is odd, more darting than swimming as they were. Like a panic. I'm testing with the RedSea kit.

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the quickest way to resolve the issue is with vinegar. Dump 2 times tank volume of 5% vinegar in ml and test in 24 to 48 hours. 100 gallon, dump 200 ml vinegar. I have a 22.4 gallon fiji cube and dosed 50 ml. Won't harm the tank in my experience. I've heard prime is a gimmick product regarding bacterial
How often should I do this?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't, from the research I had done I was under te impression that it wasn't necessary to cycle a QT tank.
Well, technically it does not - provided that you are prepared to keep doing 75% water changes 4 times a day.
So yes, your QT needed to by cycled up just like the DT. Normally QT's are quick cycled using bottled bac, or media from the pest free DT.

Assuming you are using a decent Ammonia test kit or Ammonia Alert badge, you'll need to keep up the water changes.
Please do not rely on API test kits for any parameter in a reef tank, especially Ammonia.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I do this?
Do it once in DT and test again in 24 hours. Not many will advise it, not sure why, but if you research enough you'll see others got ammonia and high nitrates down with high carbon dosing (vinegar). You don't have anything to lose by dosing the DT. At some point, you're going to burn through your salt due to the qt along with $$ and possibly your fishes.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the QT and DT? API kits are ok if you follow the instructions exactly. Instead of chasing both systems, focus on one and get the fish moved to a safer system. Would your LFS hold them for you while you get stabilized?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BioSpira or Turbo Start could be added to both tanks. Ammonia should be down in 2-3 days. In the mean time, focus on saving the fish with water changes.

BoVice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cycled the main display tank with bottled bacteria and dosed ammonium chloride at this point it's cycled. Why not just put the fish in there?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back