I'm new and and STRUGGLING.........HELP!

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the DT with any bottled bacteria? If so how long ago? I just use one of the badges to let me know if ammonia is present, they aren't accurate as to how much ammonia but it seems to be accurate that there is or isn't any there.
Not initially no, I threw some in later at the advice of the LFS but that seemed to make things way worse so I didn't do it again. I do have a badge but it says everything is fine when the test kit and behavior clearly shows otherwise.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some fritzs turbo start from your lfs. Dump in and 24 hours later ammonia gone. Problem solved. Then throw ammonia test kit away cuz you probably wont use it again. (J/K DONT DO THAT BUT YOU PROBABLY WONT)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the quickest way to resolve the issue is with vinegar. Dump 2 times tank volume of 5% vinegar in ml and test in 24 to 48 hours. 100 gallon, dump 200 ml vinegar. I have a 22.4 gallon fiji cube and dosed 50 ml. Won't harm the tank in my experience. I've heard prime is a gimmick product regarding bacterial.

Edit: dose to DT.
Huh?!?!? That’s not advised! I see your next post and yea it’s carbon dosing! You don’t carbon dose a tank that’s trying to cycle much less use that much! Sheesh…

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the frustrating thing, two days ago the ammonia in the QT tank was off the charts, I did a 95% water change, just left them enough to stay alive in. I tested again after and ammonia levels were still at 1.2. How can that be??
Because you added Prime...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... I feel like its worth the risk moving them to the DT right away so I'm going to start acclimating them as soon as the temp comes up in the DT as it was a teeny bit low. Thank you everyone for the advice. It's so nerve-wracking to be new and having things go wrong when I thought I was doing all the right things.
You're doing the best you can and we've all been there. I had a similar situation when I started my first SW tank - someone gave me a 10 gallon with 2 clowns and some inverts but didn't tell me he hadn't been keeping up with their care. I ended up putting everything in my 90 gallon display earlier than I was comfortable with (because it was healthier than the 10 gallon they were in) and they did fine.

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing the best you can and we've all been there. I had a similar situation when I started my first SW tank - someone gave me a 10 gallon with 2 clowns and some inverts but didn't tell me he hadn't been keeping up with their care. I ended up putting everything in my 90 gallon display earlier than I was comfortable with (because it was healthier than the 10 gallon they were in) and they did fine.
That's comforting, thank you! I hope I will have the same experience, I am already attached to these guys and don't want to lose them.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm there. I just tested both tanks again and these are the readings.

DT -
Ammonia between 0.8 and 1.2
Nitrites 1 +
Nitrates between 5 and 10

QT -
Ammonia 2 +
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0

With the ammonia levels steadily decreasing in the DT and the behavior I'm seeing I feel like its worth the risk moving them to the DT right away so I'm going to start acclimating them as soon as the temp comes up in the DT as it was a teeny bit low. Thank you everyone for the advice. It's so nerve-wracking to be new and having things go wrong when I thought I was doing all the right things.
Yup, move them over.
They are safer there.

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones gripe with API test kits? I got a buddy that has been doing this forever who swears they work well...
Biggest issue is the phosphate test. I do like the nitrate and kH test, but kH won’t enlighten you to the tenths place, it’s whole number or bust. They are useful, but once you reach a certain point in the hobby, it’s ICP test or Hanna or the Apex if u got the $$

API is ok but i wouldn’t definitely do quarterly ICP tests to verify and get second opinion on levels. I was way off, so just stopped testing altogether other than quarterly ICP. Gotta save up for those Hanna’s

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia test have always given me problems and I've tried a lot of different brands now.
I feel like they tell you whether there is ammonia or not. Never reliably how much and lots of things can interfere with them.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh?!?!? That’s not advised! I see your next post and yea it’s carbon dosing! You don’t carbon dose a tank that’s trying to cycle much less use that much! Sheesh…
Thanks. Is there a reason? I've dosed 2x my tank volume two times with no issues.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if you have a protein skimmer?
Doesn’t matter… have you ever looked at a dosing chart? It starts very low and you work your way up. If you tried that with vodka I’m sure your tank would have turned white and been killed off.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t matter… have you ever looked at a dosing chart? It starts very low and you work your way up. If you tried that with vodka I’m sure your tank would have turned white and been killed off.
I do follow the chart and currently am on week 2. However, I also dosed 50 ml on 4/7 and 4/8 along with what is scheduled. No issues whatsoever.

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok all, I have an update. Fishies are in the DT with mixed results. The clowns are doing ok, sticking to one corner and I am still seeing the rapid breathing as before. I'm hoping that will pass after the initial transfer shock has worn off. The royal gramma didn't fare as well. She hit the water, sunk strait to the bottom and immediately swam straight into a rock and got herself firmly stuck. I mean stuck stuck. I thought I was going to have to break it stuck. Once I brought it up out of the water she freaked and wriggled her way mostly out and I was able to get her the rest of he way out and now she had glued herself to the back of the same rock. She looks rough. I'm feeling so sad for them at the moment, I really wanted to do better than this. Here are pictures of both my tank and the fishes. The royal is really hard to see.
image0 (4).jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only do vodka dosing on myself

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back