I'm new and and STRUGGLING.........HELP!

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something went to mush .
anemone missing or last nights seafood missing a scallop ?
Nothing missing, the tank is still newish and fairly empty, but someone mentioned something decomposing and I did add a raw shrimp to start the cycle and left it in so I'm guessing this was the result of it decomposing? It was odd for sure. Looked and felt exactly like a jellyfish, super thick and solid. Not what I would expect from something decomposing but I'm not an expert so.....

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing missing, the tank is still newish and fairly empty, but someone mentioned something decomposing and I did add a raw shrimp to start the cycle and left it in so I'm guessing this was the result of it decomposing? It was odd for sure. Looked and felt exactly like a jellyfish, super thick and solid. Not what I would expect from something decomposing but I'm not an expert so.....
That was me and I’ve always cycled my tanks the same. .
Looks similar to what was left . But I’ve never took mine out either .
Cuc made short work of it

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t put the shrimp inside a nylon ?
After i cycled my tanks years ago I read there was a clean way to use shrimp and to remove it before it decomposed .
I couldn’t be bothered removing it and just imagine the smell …. No thanks

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was me and I’ve always cycled my tanks the same. .
Looks similar to what was left . But I’ve never took mine out either .
Cuc made short work of it
Only reason I decided to remove it was that my cuc wouldn't go near it with a ten foot pole. I thought better to be safe than have it be the beginning of some massive issue.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is everyones gripe with API test kits? I got a buddy that has been doing this forever who swears they work well...
I have an api and it’s the same reading as my LFS. Don’t know what they use but I always take sample and record it in pocket marine then let them test and it’s the same

OP
OP
R

Roeshelle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t put the shrimp inside a nylon ?
After i cycled my tanks years ago I read there was a clean way to use shrimp and to remove it before it decomposed .
I couldn’t be bothered removing it and just imagine the smell …. No thanks
I didn't, I just plopped it in. Truth be told it was almost immediately covered by sand and after a bit I kinda forgot about it so I let it be.

Superd513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue is the phosphate test. I do like the nitrate and kH test, but kH won’t enlighten you to the tenths place, it’s whole number or bust. They are useful, but once you reach a certain point in the hobby, it’s ICP test or Hanna or the Apex if u got the $$

API is ok but i wouldn’t definitely do quarterly ICP tests to verify and get second opinion on levels. I was way off, so just stopped testing altogether other than quarterly ICP. Gotta save up for those Hanna’s
So what is ICP test?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't, I just plopped it in. Truth be told it was almost immediately covered by sand and after a bit I kinda forgot about it so I let it be.
I’ve always done the same .
If we were to test the ammonia for any length of time we more than likely just prolonged the cycle making it take longer than it should have

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back