Instant ways to kill ich and velvet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s ich just let it be. Fish handle and overcome ich very well. You’re more likely to kill it pulling it from the display tank, putting it into a quarantine tank, and stressing the heck out of it with meds then just letting it be. If it’s eating, feed more and it will be clear in a week.
That is not true for moderate cases of ich.

Minor ich infections can be dealt with in some cases by using “ich management”, of which a good diet is one component.

Once the number of trophonts increases to about 30 or so on the fish, the disease goes into geometric progression and you need to treat the fish with either coppersafe or hyposalinity in order to save it.

Jay

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im seeing some issues with the motor not being strong enough for diatomaceous earth
I tend to ignore Amazon reviews as often user error caused the bad review. Good part of Amazon being try it and return it if not satisfied. Will say this. Being smaller it does clog quickly. I have both models. Haven’t used the DE option but have used the micron filter option alone and the smaller one needs cleaning more often. Best used that by having a few extra cartridges. Easy enough to change out. Just don’t think that alone will remove ich but will clarify the water.

The bigger model isn’t that much larger placed horizontally and the flow can be diverted so it doesn’t cause surface agitation to the point it throws water over the side. The flow is very impressive on the original model

cbnspanky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to ignore Amazon reviews as often user error caused the bad review. Good part of Amazon being try it and return it if not satisfied. Will say this. Being smaller it does clog quickly. I have both models. Haven’t used the DE option but have used the micron filter option alone and the smaller one needs cleaning more often. Best used that by having a few extra cartridges. Easy enough to change out. Just don’t think that alone will remove ich but will clarify the water.

The bigger model isn’t that much larger placed horizontally and the flow can be diverted so it doesn’t cause surface agitation to the point it throws water over the side. The flow is very impressive on the original model
You’ve convinced me. Just got one from Petco

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
That is not true for moderate cases of ich.

Minor ich infections can be dealt with in some cases by using “ich management”, of which a good diet is one component.

Once the number of trophonts increases to about 30 or so on the fish, the disease goes into geometric progression and you need to treat the fish with either coppersafe or hyposalinity in order to save it.

Jay

keep killing your fish then Jay!

In my experience having never lost a fish from ich, you are killing them by stressing them in QT and with meds. I see more people saying “my fish died from ich while in QT or during treatment” then “my fish died because I did nothing”. Yet you “experts” continue to push your own crap. Then when the fish dies you simply say “it must have been on its way out anyways or the fish must have been weak”.

Achilles Tang below as you can see covered in ich. Often said to be the most prone and likely to die from ich is still swimming happily in my tank today along with all other fish and tangs (all at one point had some to lots of spots).

1684722178526.jpeg

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back