Instant ways to kill ich and velvet

Current Tides

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone happen to know ways that will immediately kill ich/velvet (c. irritans) and (a. ocellatum)? The tanks I'm trying to treat are completely empty, with no livestock. I have copper in them at concentrations of about 0.6ppm and have the temp all the way up to 95F. I've been trying to find articles or other sources of information online that would suggest the sudden elimination of these diseases, however I've been unsuccessful. Most of the literature I've found focuses on the expedition of the lifecycle with higher heat levels, but not much regarding sudden death. There was one site that mentioned ich was eliminated at a temp of 104F, in under an hour, however I couldn't find anything on this either. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that 104 worked, it'd likely kill any bacteria and the tank would have to be re-cycled anyways. Why not just drain & dry then refill? You'll have to do a WC anyways to get the copper out
I'm on board with this style of fix. Might as well just start from scratch at that point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some bad advice here. Best bet is fallow and at 45-55 days at 81 degrees.
Dont start bombing tank with high concentration of copper. Safe level is 2.25-2.5.
At 6 copper level- you might as well prepare to change sand UNLESS you are going fish only for the future.
What ever copper based product you use, assure it says " Treats Oodinum".

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even think the copper would even come out of your LR or equipment with 10 x 100% WCs if you dumped the whole bottle in there.. lol I could be wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

J_Gard88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if there's nothing in the tank but live rock, why not dry out and re start. Break tank down and dry the LR (Yes everything will die) but by the time you're banking on your fallow days you could be re building. Bet definitely agree not to bomb with copper.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I or others are following along with your current situation. You said you have copper in the tanks now? So plan on fish only? You want to kill off instantly without needing to recycle the systems?

If the cycle isn't an issue and no livestock in the systems, then I would drain them, refill with fresh water add chlorine at about 1 cup per 100gal, let sit for 24hrs.
Drain, then refill with fresh water. Let sit for 24hrs.
Add a full bottle of pond declorinator drom home depot to each. Leave for a week .drain refill with rodi, then after a few days test for chlorine. Add declorinator if needed. This should help with removing any copper traces too.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone happen to know ways that will immediately kill ich/velvet (c. irritans) and (a. ocellatum)? The tanks I'm trying to treat are completely empty, with no livestock. I have copper in them at concentrations of about 0.6ppm and have the temp all the way up to 95F. I've been trying to find articles or other sources of information online that would suggest the sudden elimination of these diseases, however I've been unsuccessful. Most of the literature I've found focuses on the expedition of the lifecycle with higher heat levels, but not much regarding sudden death. There was one site that mentioned ich was eliminated at a temp of 104F, in under an hour, however I couldn't find anything on this either. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!
What is in the tank? Just water or rocks? Sand? Best instant fix is to drain the tank and let everything get totally dry. Easy if you just have a tank. More difficult with rocks.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are a lost cause.
How do you figure? Op posted a vague post on the details of what they are trying to accomplish and current issues. I gave them a clear and concise solution based off the post. Chlorine will most definitely kill the parasites and attack the egg case too. That coupled with fresh water will kill any hatching tromites left over.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May want to research a bit more. Strains have been identified that have made it past 76 days so the newer recommendation is 90+. 45 is really gambling

Those extreme cases have been written off as a problem with biosecurity.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some non-workable advice here. You could go fallow as @vetteguy53081 said, but you wanted "fast". Since you've hit the tank with copper and heat, you might as well do a complete tank reset. Fill the tank with freshwater (I always drain and fill again to remove residual salt). Then, hit the tank with 100 ppm household bleach (no surfactants, dyes or perfumes though). You might be better off using some hot tub solid sterilizer. 100 ppm = gallons times 100 divided by 266 to give grams of material needed.
Let that circulate for 24 hours, drain, rinse and refill. Add some dechlor and then establish the biofilter again. Remember though - if you don't quarantine your fish well, the very first fish you add could put you right back at this point again.

Jay

Brady4000

I just wanted a Mantis Shrimp.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some non-workable advice here. You could go fallow as @vetteguy53081 said, but you wanted "fast". Since you've hit the tank with copper and heat, you might as well do a complete tank reset. Fill the tank with freshwater (I always drain and fill again to remove residual salt). Then, hit the tank with 100 ppm household bleach (no surfactants, dyes or perfumes though). You might be better off using some hot tub solid sterilizer. 100 ppm = gallons times 100 divided by 266 to give grams of material needed.
Let that circulate for 24 hours, drain, rinse and refill. Add some dechlor and then establish the biofilter again. Remember though - if you don't quarantine your fish well, the very first fish you add could put you right back at this point again.

Jay
Will this get rid of the copper? I am curious.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back