Is Myfrags Flaming Krak Paly a Krakatoa?

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a single colony of the Krakatoa.... I found this pic on another forum.... check it out....

Duke u r killing me lol. We all wanna see a closed up pic of your krakatoa.

Last edited:

kfd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ian, if you get down to the root, you will be surprised not all zoa on man made rocks are cultured...
and yes, there are a lot of them out there, but they are not easy zoa, grow fast and melt fast

these zoas are all farmed overseas from the same pieces. They're making those 'aquacultured' zoa rocks and sticking a couple of each ultra zoa on each rock.

I GUARANTEE if you took a polyp from each place and mounted them near each other they'd grow together...

If you don't know what rocks I'm referring to, here's an example...

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/world-wide-corals/123554-looking-zoanthids.html

notice how each rock has a couple of each glued down to them? Well, I'm positive that both vendors in question each received a rock with a couple polyps of the exact same morph glued to them.

Mystery Solved :xd:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ian, if you get down to the root, you will be surprised not all zoa on man made rocks are cultured...
and yes, there are a lot of them out there, but they are not easy zoa, grow fast and melt fast

Exactly! I'll chime in and just drop my little 2 cents...
The cultured zoa rocks are in high demand and fairly decent supply. Most have several different polyps and morphs on them. A lot of the maul morphs are coming from these. As far as the krakatoas go there was one colony...someone already posted a pic. Most of the original colony melted and only a few polyps survived. Of those that survived I ended up with a 4 polyp frag and grew from there. Ive only sent a few out into the world and the orignal seller hasn't sold them to anyone else as far as I know. There are a lot of morphs out there, but as you can see from Dukes pic and mine this one is unique. They are hardy and do grow well in good conditions. Enjoy your palys :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

kfd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I'm reserving a colony and I will be able to share some experience on them a litlle later down the year. They are good grower, but trust me, I have seen them melted to nothing after fragging. Extra effort is needed to frag these guys.

The cultured zoa rocks are in high demand and fairly decent supply. Most have several different polyps and morphs on them. A lot of the maul morphs are coming from these. As far as the krakatoas go there was one colony...someone already posted a pic. Most of the original colony melted and only a few polyps survived. Of those that survived I ended up with a 4 polyp frag and grew from there. Ive only sent a few out into the world and the orignal seller hasn't sold them to anyone else as far as I know. There are a lot of morphs out there, but as you can see from Dukes pic and mine this one is unique. They are hardy and do grow well in good conditions. Enjoy your palys :)

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, I'm reserving a colony and I will be able to share some experience on them a litlle later down the year. They are good grower, but trust me, I have seen them melted to nothing after fragging. Extra effort is needed to frag these guys.

Nice!!! Can't wait to see the pic of your colony. It must be breathe taking.

Last edited:

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any current pictures of your colony???
There is no other colony...there was only the original colony like I posted originally and I just confirmed this. There are only the ones I have, the ones I sold to a couple of people, and a few with the original seller. Which, by the way, he just posted a 2 polyp frag for sale :tongue:

kfd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, I'm not from the States. Like Joe said, he has the only one in the States now.

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just curious. If most of the original colony melted, what classifies them as hardy?

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. If most of the original colony melted, what classifies them as hardy?

The fact that they grow well and respond well to tank conditions. There are plenty of hardy corals that for one reason or another suffered a loss when originally imported.

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine!!!

Since nobody is able to show us a decent macro shot of Kraktoa. Based on this pic and being an amateur photographer, here is my analysis on the anatomy of Krakatoa:

1. The mouth is surrounded by orange/red lips
2. The lips are outlined by a black circle.
3. There is a orange ring after the black circle. Somehow this orange ring ain't competely solid as we all can see some black lines.
4. There is a green ring right after the orange ring. We can't say it has a green body since its proportion isn't profound enough.
5. Orange skirts, however GB Krakatoa pic does show this paly somehow only has orange skirt tips.

Freddy Krueger = Myfrags flaming Krak = darth maul with green skirts.

Speckled/omega maul, on the other hand, does have a green body. Also, it does not have orange lips right after the mouth nor black circle nor orange ring after the black circle.

Is it a melter??? Good question indeed.

I might be wrong, proud Krak owner please do join this discussion.

Last edited:

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no other colony...there was only the original colony like I posted originally and I just confirmed this. There are only the ones I have, the ones I sold to a couple of people, and a few with the original seller. Which, by the way, he just posted a 2 polyp frag for sale :tongue:

Oh I know there was only one colony... That's why I wanted to see a picture...LOL

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since nobody is able to show us a decent macro shot of Kraktoa. Based on this pic and being an amateur photographer, here is my analysis on the anatomy of Krakatoa:

1. The mouth is surrounded by orange/red lips
2. The lips are outlined by a black circle.
3. There is a orange ring after the black circle. Somehow this orange ring ain't competely solid as we all can see some black lines.
4. There is a green ring right after the orange ring. We can't say it has a green body since its proportion isn't profound enough.
5. Orange skirts, however GB Krakatoa pic does show this paly somehow only has orange skirt tips.

Freddy Krueger = Myfrags flaming Krak = darth maul with green skirts.

Speckled/omega maul, on the other hand, does have a green body. Also, it does not have orange lips right after the mouth nor black circle nor orange ring after the black circle.

Is it a melter??? Good question indeed.

I might be wrong, proud Krak owner please do join this discussion.

If you go to the golden basket store on ebay you can see a nice macro shot of the Krakatoa..

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some vendors just rename everything they get. especially the vendor you got the frag from! they say its a new release trying to get top dollar!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back