Is Myfrags Flaming Krak Paly a Krakatoa?

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some vendors just rename everything they get. especially the vendor you got the frag from! they say its a new release trying to get top dollar!

Why won't some other vendors rename Krakatoa??? It already holds the record of being the most expensive paly. Will we see 1000pp in the future?? That will be rather insane don't u think?

shawy2510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think any polyp should be over $100 tbh but they are & I do pay the prices being asked. Remember most zoas/palys grow well & selling 1 or 2 polyps you have your money back & its then free

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some vendors are hittin da crack pipe!! $1000 a polyp is almost as crazy as the lightning maroon pair selling for $16,000

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a melter??? Good question indeed.

I might be wrong, proud Krak owner please do join this discussion.

I'm guessing GB didn't hold on to this for a year before selling. Since its being said that the majority of their MC melted I'm under the assumption they are melters. Since JKR and only a few others have them and really only month is that really long enough to start calling them hardy?

For me personally I hate dropping cash on something and have it disappear after a few weeks. Due diligence :).

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a collector, I am constantly on the look out for something different or rare. Also as a collector, I know when I see something different. Cherry Corals has the Omega Maul that I will hopefully be getting soon but it is different than the Krakatoa and as Cherry Corals says they have been growing them for years. One thing to remember is that everyone with the z/p bug or just in reefing in general has morphs of different corals and those morphs will demand a higher price tag due to its rareness. Who knows the Krakatoa, may be a morph of the Omega Maul, but because of that it does demand a higher price tag. Everyone in here knows the controversy with candy apple red and the bowser....LOL.... When the Krakatoa photo was released to the public, every one on all the different forums thought that the photo of the Krakatoa was photo shopped and wasn't or couldn't be real. No one has ever seen a polyp like that and it turned out that it was a real polyp and wasn't photoshopped. So then the high end collectors went crazy for it and ran the bids up on e-bay to over $500 pp. Like Joe said, there was only one colony and GB lost most of the colony so that is now making it extra rare. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it and for the high end collector it is worth every penny. That is my $.02

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing GB didn't hold on to this for a year before selling. Since its being said that the majority of their MC melted I'm under the assumption they are melters. Since JKR and only a few others have them and really only month is that really long enough to start calling them hardy?

For me personally I hate dropping cash on something and have it disappear after a few weeks. Due diligence :).

Richie that is true.... But from experience, my polyp seems to be doing very well. The mother polyp is growing larger every day. Since I have had it (3-4 weeks) it has popped out a baby that is also growing and getting larger by the day. On the JKR website you can see that he had 4 polyps and cut them up and they survived.... So I guess only time will tell.... Who knows they might be like Darth Mauls that do awesome for months and then just melt away from one day to the next. I just had a huge salinity spike in my tank (over dosed mag. and let it go a couple days to long with out re-checking) and I almost lost my colony of KO's and Rasta Rainbow but the Krakatoa was just fine.... With that happening and seeing that it was just fine it leads me to believe that it is a hardy polyp. But like I said before, only time will tell

Last edited:

reefkoi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this hobby everythin has 20 names at least lol. You would be surprised to see how many times I've found a polyp that was sold as the new hottest 200pp thing for 10-20 somewhere else just by doing a bit of research. Can't wait for a $10 krak lol.

true

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a collector, I am constantly on the look out for something different or rare. Also as a collector, I know when I see something different. Cherry Corals has the Omega Maul that I will hopefully be getting soon but it is different than the Krakatoa and as Cherry Corals says they have been growing them for years. One thing to remember is that everyone with the z/p bug or just in reefing in general has morphs of different corals and those morphs will demand a higher price tag due to its rareness. Who knows the Krakatoa, may be a morph of the Omega Maul, but because of that it does demand a higher price tag. Everyone in here knows the controversy with candy apple red and the bowser....LOL.... When the Krakatoa photo was released to the public, every one on all the different forums thought that the photo of the Krakatoa was photo shopped and wasn't or couldn't be real. No one has ever seen a polyp like that and it turned out that it was a real polyp and wasn't photoshopped. So then the high end collectors went crazy for it and ran the bids up on e-bay to over $500 pp. Like Joe said, there was only one colony and GB lost most of the colony so that is now making it extra rare. Something is only worth what someone will pay for it and for the high end collector it is worth every penny. That is my $.02

I can't wait to see Duke owns a 1000pp paly!!!!

Acro Crazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some vendors are hittin da crack pipe!! $1000 a polyp is almost as crazy as the lightning maroon pair selling for $16,000

GB's release of the Krakatoa was brilliant. A contest was held for best name on my local forum which generated buzz. The winner didn't get a polyp but enstead a $100 store credit. Of course like any coral junkie the prize money went to the bidding of the Kratatoa. More buzz generated by the sky rocketing price as vendors competed for the first one.
I should know, I named it!!

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GB's release of the Krakatoa was brilliant. A contest was held for best name on my local forum which generated buzz. The winner didn't get a polyp but enstead a $100 store credit. Of course like any coral junkie the prize money went to the bidding of the Kratatoa. More buzz generated by the sky rocketing price as vendors competed for the first one.
I should know, I named it!!

Nice!!!

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden basket has one listed on eBay right now, wow! It's on pace to go for $3,000 for two polyps! Nice thread hermes fan, I'm looking for one too!

MacKrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt mean to add on to whats being said or brought up or repeat what u guys have said but a nice macro shot under various lights would be awesome. It's hard to tell with the vendors pics. Just trying to tag along, good info thanks.

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didnt mean to add on to whats being said or brought up or repeat what u guys have said but a nice macro shot under various lights would be awesome. It's hard to tell with the vendors pics. Just trying to tag along, good info thanks.

There is the picture that is up on eBay right now. It is WYSIWYG. That is is a good macro shot

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess since most of the colony melted and only a " COUPLE " folks have them, we must not have anymore in the wild ( ocean ) which covers 3/4ths of the world. I guess there's no more chance of ever getting these from the wild again as wild colonies:angel: Just sayin

Last edited:

lovemyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. The original colony that rev posted was split into 3. One came to the states, one went to Europe and the last stayed in Indo.
Trust me when I say that basically none have melted!

OP
OP
hermesfansf

hermesfansf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. The original colony that rev posted was split into 3. One came to the states, one went to Europe and the last stayed in Indo.
Trust me when I say that basically none have melted!

How sure r u??? I have seen krak floating around at singapore reef club. I am sure there must be more out there in the wild.

lovemyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How sure r u??? I have seen krak floating around at singapore reef club. I am sure there must be more out there in the wild.
99% sure
These are morphs off of brood stock that are marilcultured and there was only one colony that was harvested then split.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 56 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back