LEDs, T5s and MHs for zoas discussion. What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one came close to make me change my mind, but not worthy the money.

Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those coral lab tests are bogus. To get the kind of spread they write about the radions have to be like 3-4ft high above the tank. Who is going to do that in the real world?
Not me!
LOL!
Grandis.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always amusing with things in this hobby. Some people make a claim and others refuse to believe them without some sort of study or empirical proof. Then others, like in this situation, can take such proof and call it garbage.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always amusing with things in this hobby. Some people make a claim and others refuse to believe them without some sort of study or empirical proof. Then others, like in this situation, can take such proof and call it garbage.
Yes, very amusing, I would have to agree with you on that.
Can you imagine that they didn't take in consideration any of the aspects of placing for those ATI Powermodules in a way to at least respect it's normal recommended performance and efficiency? That is just very funny. Or perhaps they just want to see the best performance of the Radions and that way they could just totally ignore the Powermodules to prove their winning tag in a nice and clean pdf. They do know that the best spread for their LED fixture was at that specific height and with that intensity!

I do like the pdf. It kinda makes me want to get one of those Radions, just so i can feel good!!! I don't know why?!o_O

After WWC allows them to publish such nice and beautiful pamphlet I would think they are totally convinced to change all the lights in the house for Radions by yesterday, so they wouldn't waste any time, right?!?! Including all those display tanks. That would be nice, wouldn't it? Are they going for it? Hummm... Perhaps you probably would?

I don't think the pdf is garbage. I think it's a good way to proof their point without having too much trouble. It's also a wonderful market strategy and very smart to use the very best German made T5 fixture available for the comparison.
At least they proved that those Powermodules at that much of a height aren't any good. But that one I knew already. ATI knows that too!

Bottom line is: If they suck the best out of an ATI Powermodule fixture with the proper height and compare to any LED available I could guarantee that they wouldn't find such "great" results, my friend.

Seriously: would be great if they did a fair comparison. Also with at least some comparable intensity, PAR and other measurements.
That way we would compare the quality of the sources of light for the growth and colors. That would be fair!

Is the Radion better than the Powermodule for that setup? Yes. So didn't lie or were totally unfair, right?

I like the Canadian dog in the last picture! So cute!

Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying to leave the thread alone, but some of you guys woke me up! :confused:

Found this video by accident... It's specifically about zoas!
I think most of you guys know him and some of you actually call him a zoa expert. His name is Josh.
He talks about his lighting system.
This is just to add to the thread...
Pay attention a@ 0:38 - 1:38, but watch the whole video!!
Good simple tips. Stuff that I've been saying to many here and other forums.

Josh:
No need GFO. You've got the Chaeto already.
Mags are the best pumps!
Try to get a bigger skimmer. No need to be expensive. Just a bit bigger, if you can.
That T5 on the top and the MHs on the bottom are great!
When you change the bulbs on the ATI fixture try to change 2 bulbs per week. That won't give you the bleaching problems.
Enjoy.
Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found another of his videos:

Very simple guy! Look like he has a very nice personality.
I just though the LED people would like to see the polyps under their favorite lights.
I would think Josh uses this LEDs for the "pop" that most of you guys enjoy so much.
But remember: they grow best under metal halides...

Grandis.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Found another of his videos:

Very simple guy! Look like he has a very nice personality.
I just though the LED people would like to see the polyps under their favorite lights.
I would think Josh uses this LEDs for the "pop" that most of you guys enjoy so much.
But remember: they grow best under metal halides...

Grandis.

@joshporksandwic is a very nice guy and great zoa grower!!

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
World Wide Corals Store Tour Orlando, FL Aquarium Superstore

This video you keep posting is old we are now using over 200 radion units betwen both farms...we are seeing much better growth and coloration since using them for over 3 months now.
T5 and MH is good old technolgy...nothing wrong with it just old technology .

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This video you keep posting is old we are now using over 200 radion units betwen both farms...we are seeing much better growth and coloration since using them for over 3 months now.
How do I like this more than once!?

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for updating this thread guys!
Please keep doing it!!
Hope those LEDs to be helpful in the long run. 3 months is nothing, as we know.

Question:
Are you going to convert the whole store to those LEDs?

I like your display tanks very much!!! Good job!!

Grandis.

OP
OP
A. grandis

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're being roasted
What has been told by them in the past was true e published.
What WWC is saying now is also the truth, I choose to believe.

I just hope they really change ALL those MHs and T5s for LEDs. They will have a deal, of course!!
At least that electricity will be saved and then... they will really prove their point.

Let's wait for the moment of the truth! ;)

Grandis.

dricc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What has been told by them in the past was true e published.
What WWC is saying now is also the truth, I choose to believe.

I just hope they really change ALL those MHs and T5s for LEDs. They will have a deal, of course!!
At least that electricity will be saved and then... they will really prove their point.

Let's wait for the moment of the truth! ;)

Grandis.
I am sure they believe in led technology. I would also guess savings on electricity would be huge for that big of an operation.

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for updating this thread guys!
Please keep doing it!!
Hope those LEDs to be helpful in the long run. 3 months is nothing, as we know.

Question:
Are you going to convert the whole store to those LEDs?

I like your display tanks very much!!! Good job!!

Grandis.
We already have.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The removal of a lighting source because it is " OLD" is not a good reason. Using a lighting source because it is "in fashion" is not a good reason.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most coral farms mount radions insanely high and run them at 100%. There is no electricity savings to be had there. Even ecotech's own coral lab reports show how insanely high they are mounted which no consumer is ever going to do on their tank.

Since aesthetics are not required in a coral farm one could buy the most massive metal halide reflector out there and cover an insane area for actually less power than the same amount of radions for the area.

Truly massive 30"x 30" MH reflectors exist.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back