• Maxspect Gyre

Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this poll in a year from now, after the gyre users need to clean it a few times. My guess is you will see a different result. I have both. I voted vortech.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyre isn't nearly as cool looking, that is true! I was going to run the gyre on the back wall with vortechs on the side of my new rimless for looks, but after I put the gyre on the side to try it out the flow was so much better I decided I could live with the looks and vortech got moved to the back, lol.

I have replaced the paddles several times for switching between alternating flow. Cleaning is easy once you disassemble it once. Just pull the bracket apart and the cages come off. That is enough to give it a good cleaning with a brush.

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be interesting to this poll see once the gyre has been out for a few years, maybe by then Vortech will have made a gyre type of their own

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant noodles vs. hamburger. So pick one you like or both :tongue:
I own both Gyre130 and 2x mp10wes in my 57g mix reef. I like mp10 with the random mode. Gyre130 gave me overflow at the bottom with constant mode. I am still learning how to setup gyre so I could be wrong.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote Gyre once they build better quality units. Within a month, all 4 of my propellers broke, and no, snails/debris did not cause it. I watched 2 break after hearing a weird noise. Props were off balance, and bound, then snap. Love the idea of the pump, and agree there were ZERO dead spots in my tank running about 50% (48x24x24). However, it is a cheap Chinese product, and it showed. If they beef up the props, and get tighter tolerances in the bearings, I would use this over my Vortechs. 2 MP40's on my 120 right now, and the random flow created cannot be emulated with a single Gyre pump.

There is a lot missing out of this statement. Which model and when did you buy it? The new xf-130's are of better build quality. Plus they improved the mounting system from the earlier 150's. This is the first time im hearing of any problems with either of the 2 units.

Last edited:

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thread, not sure which product to purchase for my 93G cube. I've run Vortechs in the past.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot missing out of this statement. Which model and when did you buy it? The new xf-130's are of better build quality. Plus they improved the mounting system from the earlier 150's. This is the first time im hearing of any problems with either of the 2 units.

I was on the pre order list for the 150. I received my unit when they first were released. If this Is the first you're seeing of any problems, then you haven't been looking or reading any of the threads on the internet...most are riddled with issues. I expect problems with an initial rollout, then a revised version to fix the major problems. Time week tell if they decide to put in the effort and money to remedy the weak points.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for issues with my gyre, I can not use it on the reversing mode, where it runs forward, then changes direction and runs backwards. On my particular gyre, it locks up, sometimes in 5 minutes, sometimes 12 hours later. I came home to no flow, with a locked gyre. Has anyone else experienced this problem on this particular setting?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow pattern of the "new" Vortech's hasn't changed, nor has the control. You would think after 10yrs they would have come up with something more then a quieter version. Plus they used the pump that got the most complaints for noise, as revolutionary?
IMO there is no versus. Two totally different pumps, two totally different flow patterns. The Gyre can only improve the controller, Vortech can't really do anything to the MP's.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concept of the gyre, but haven't bought into it. I have three mp40 on my 120 and they create such a random flow i don't think the gyre could duplicate. The ability to control with the apex is a another big plus of the mp.

As for the new revolutionary quiet drive, it isn't enough for me to upgrade. Heck with the price drop now on the regular mp, I am considering buying a couple just to have on hand.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for issues with my gyre, I can not use it on the reversing mode, where it runs forward, then changes direction and runs backwards. On my particular gyre, it locks up, sometimes in 5 minutes, sometimes 12 hours later. I came home to no flow, with a locked gyre. Has anyone else experienced this problem on this particular setting?
Once again, the above post does not include what model and time of purchase. Was this on the 1st release of the 150?

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer models are shipping with a improved mounting system and soft magnet. There was too much vibration that may have been causing damage to the earlier units. Vibration can reduced the reliability of any motor driven device. Looseness,rubbing,bearings, ect. An upgrade kit will be avalible soon for the 1st gen's. My XF-130 has no noise or vibration emitting from it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 799
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 991
Last edited:

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New XF-150 on left. Old 150 on right. Newer mount also allows the unit to move and pivot to adjust for any imbalance of water pressure/ turbulence around the unit when operating. The way im seeing this is the mount now absorbs the inertia and takes the stress off the prop. New design borrows the idea of a motor mount on a car engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 105 (2x4') i moved my mp40s to the back glass and have a xf130 creating a gyre the length of the tank. Best of both worlds. I really like both of these pumps and IMO they both do different things well and they each have a unique role in flow. The xf130 maintains the gyre while the vortechs swirl It up to randomize flow. I did a similar thing in my frag tank, mp10s on the back and a xf130 on the bottom of the tank.
That said, time will tell if the gyre is as reliable as vortechs. My one beef with the riptide is since they haven't developed a connection to any controller they could have at least included a night mode on the gyre controller. Something to consider for the future as not all reefers have a controller and technology such as this shouldn't require daily adjustments.

eg8r210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the concept of the gyre, but haven't bought into it. I have three mp40 on my 120 and they create such a random flow i don't think the gyre could duplicate. The ability to control with the apex is a another big plus of the mp.

As for the new revolutionary quiet drive, it isn't enough for me to upgrade. Heck with the price drop now on the regular mp, I am considering buying a couple just to have on hand.
With all the diving I have done in the ocean, I haven't really ever been on a reef that had any turbulence similar to what people try to create with all their pumps in the tank. I have been on a LOT of drift dives that utilized the current (in one direction) to go across the reef. On top of that, the turbulent water throughout the tank does literally nothing for the corals. Turbulence at the corals skin is where there is benefit. This happens with gyre flow as it gets whipped around the coral. There are tons and tons of vendors who utilize gyre flow in their raceways to grow out their coral.

Having said all that, I love my vortechs and never removed them when I added the Gyre. I find the Gyre overpowers my mp40 and my mp60 (across a 6' tank) to the point that the gyre flow is still there and very easy to see when feeding the tank. My tank has periods where the vortechs are the only pumps on and times when all of them are on.

Lastly EcoTech hasn't given a price that I have seen but you will be able to buy a new driver for your existing Vortech pumps to take advantage of the quieter pumps (without having to buy new pumps). The drivers are backwards compatible for all Vortech pumps.

Last edited:

ghostman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Gyre and haven't turned on some of my vortechs since I installed the XF150 in the back middle of my tank. The laminar flow is incredible, and just what I wanted as it rolls over my peninsula style rock work. I think the possibilities of the Gyre are endless. A new controller, Apex compatability, new propellers that are less one directional and increase the flow in reverse. The new Ecotech QD system still has faults in the upgrade process. The driver at $50 is a deal. That will quiet the unit down. In order to get better reliability and flow, you need the new wet and dry side, which won't be cheap. It's probably better to buy new. I hope CoralVue doesn't follow Ecotech, and will try to keep loyalty in the group by offering upgrades at reasonable prices. The new mount at $40 is too much for early adopters. It should be half that. Don't punish the people that supported your product. Keep them happy and make money off of new sales.

In a big tank, the gyre looks great. Much better than any pump I've used. I love the look against a black background. Dialed them down as they moved a lot of sand!!!

Last edited:

dnov99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 3 different tanks I replaced all my ecotech pumps with Gyre's and couldn't be happier. In one tank, one Gyre has created greater and more even, dispersed flow then 2 MP40's had in the same tank. This is a peninsula tank and really is a perfect tank for use of the Gyre. No more dead spots and I am finally able to get flow to the end of the tank where I never could.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used a lot of different methods for flow over the past few years. From a bumload of Koralia Nanos (got them ultra cheap) in my old 55g, then to three MP10wES, then moved those onto my 80g when I moved to that tank, then used two Tunze 6095, then two MP40wES, then added an MP10wES to the back, then removed the MP10 when its bearings went to hell, then stayed with the two MP40 until I got a beta Gyre XF150. Very soon after the MP40 were sold, in my tank the two just didn't hold a candle to the Gyre. Then I had some issues with the beta unit (probably just the controller, it was definitely a beta device, didn't have the bugs worked out like the production controller) and got an XF130, and it does a good job like the XF150 did. I'm currently running it at 100%, and my gorgonians and H. magnifica all love it. I've noticed more consistent polyp extension from the gorgonians than I had with the MP40s.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back