Votes: 175 49.0%

• Total voters

Fishie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecoetch Pros
1)ecotech service is the best out there...ive had them fix stuff well past the warranty on their dime.
2)integration with radions and reeflink if you have them
3)great control options and the new QD has a gyre mode
cons
1)price even after the drops ...but what isn't expensive in this hobby
2) lack of direction

gyre
i haven't had one but i have been following threads and see people having quality issues, lack of a more advanced controller, service isn't nearly as good as ecotech

I also find it odd that with a pump that is high endish as the gyre that it had so many issues with vibration and quality on the XF-150.
other issues are cleaning, snails wreaking havoc on what seem like lower end parts...
also it is more lateral movement ...i get that the water movement reaches the tank at the far end but what about the area in the middle...plus i have a cube so distance isn't a priority for me...i just want more random flow ..

I would like to get the gyre and try but the product doesn't seem mature yet. Perhaps in a year this may change
But at this time Ecotech is the winner in my book and the QD makes the decision so much easier

tunze and Jebao are great too...and i like that i can point them around in the direction that i choose

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People have the impression that the gyre only makes water flow in one direction in the middle of the tank. They could'nt be more wrong. Fast current about an inch down on top, breaking surface tension across the whole tank. Nice strong under tow on the bottom of tank. ( not as strong as the top). Nice swirling patterns and vortex'es in the middle of the tank. You have to see one in action with your own eyes. Video's dont do it justice.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what will be the total cost of the gyre after all the add-on that will be needed for total control of the unit ?

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own both, and here's what I'd say:

Gyre wins at
1. Flow, hands down. Better, more usable flow from one pump. MP40s would blow tissue off of my SPS over ~50% and leave other parts of the tank with deadspots. I have fewer deadspots now with two Gyres (alternating on and off) than with two MP40s and two Tunze 6105s.
2. Noise. Especially with the new mounts, even at 100% they're pretty quiet once they break in. The new QD from Ecotech will make this a lot closer.
3. Placement / Visibility. I can put this thing an inch from the waterline with no issues. It's also pretty perfect for a peninsula tank, since you can mount it on an overflow. I also hated getting the wet sides on the MP40s aligned after cleaning. Always seemed like it took an hour.
4. Price. One Gyre could replace 2+ Vortechs, at $50 less than the price of one. Both need maintenance parts over time - the Gyre seems to need them more often, but the Vortech's parts are more expensive.

Vortech wins at
1. Reliability. While there are issues with the Vortechs, it's a very mature pump so most of the kinks have been worked out. My Gyres have had some issues, but nothing that bad so far (although it's only been 2.5 months)
2. Maintenance. Much easier to pull out of the tank and clean, and it's
3. Customer Service. CoralVue is good, but EcoTech is better (at least within warranty period). Cross-shipping parts two day is very useful with these.
4. Control. With the WXM, I can do anything from anywhere with the MP40s. The Gyre will have this soon, so it will be close.

In the end, I think that the Gyre is a better pump, and once the kinks are worked out, it'll be the easy choice. I was somewhat disappointed with the QuietDrive announcement. Yes, I know that that was the biggest complaint with the Vortech, but this whole thing is about water movement. The Gyre just moves it better. I was really hoping the Vortechs would have some type of wide flow upgrade, because that's what I really need in my tank. For me, the Vortech QD is like Sony releasing a better discman when the first MP3 player hits the market. The mp3 players weren't refined, but they were the future.

Last edited:

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what will be the total cost of the gyre after all the add-on that will be needed for total control of the unit ?

Not known at this point. I do believe that one of the advanced controllers will be able to control at least two Gyres and have wireless Apex compatibility (potentially with something like a WXM). Speculation (for whatever it's worth) is that it would be in the $150 price range.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newer models are shipping with a improved mounting system and soft magnet. There was too much vibration that may have been causing damage to the earlier units. Vibration can reduced the reliability of any motor driven device. Looseness,rubbing,bearings, ect. An upgrade kit will be avalible soon for the 1st gen's. My XF-130 has no noise or vibration emitting from it.

Thinking about purchasing one of the new 150s for my new set up . How will I know if I'm getting the new mounting bracket our if I'm getting some old stock ?

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about purchasing one of the new 150s for my new set up . How will I know if I'm getting the new mounting bracket our if I'm getting some old stock ?

Huge difference in appearance - if you're buying online, you may want to confirm with them before you buy it. I'm not sure there's any way to tell otherwise.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would purchase one from a well known dealer. ( chough chough...BRS). Alot of dealer's sold out of the 150's numerous times and have recieceved new stock. Im sure they are the newer models. Does'nt hurt to call them and ask if they have the newer models.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the exact same opinions as you regarding the Gyre, until I bought one. Once I saw what it did on my tank I instantly got rid of my vortechs and I'm not going back. One of these pumps creates way more flow at 60% power than BOTH of my MP40's at 100%. I would like to have 2 gyres, one at each end of the tank and a controller that could turn one on for 2 mins and the other one for 2 mins alternating. This would give the most realistic environment in my opinion. I'm sure this will happen eventually, but for now, the one gyre is so much better than what I used to have.
You mentioned "what about flow in the middle?" You have to see a gyre in action to understand, but the entire mass of water gets moving when this thing is running. There are no dead spots or slow areas. The polyps on all of my corals start waving all over the place. Its hard to believe, but its true. Have you ever went swimming in a round above ground pool and did that thing with your friends where everyone starts walking around the perimeter of the pool to get the water moving in a whirlpool? When everyone stops the flow can be quite powerful right? Its the same principle with the gyre pump.

Ecoetch Pros
1)ecotech service is the best out there...ive had them fix stuff well past the warranty on their dime.
2)integration with radions and reeflink if you have them
3)great control options and the new QD has a gyre mode
cons
1)price even after the drops ...but what isn't expensive in this hobby
2) lack of direction

gyre
i haven't had one but i have been following threads and see people having quality issues, lack of a more advanced controller, service isn't nearly as good as ecotech

I also find it odd that with a pump that is high endish as the gyre that it had so many issues with vibration and quality on the XF-150.
other issues are cleaning, snails wreaking havoc on what seem like lower end parts...
also it is more lateral movement ...i get that the water movement reaches the tank at the far end but what about the area in the middle...plus i have a cube so distance isn't a priority for me...i just want more random flow ..

I would like to get the gyre and try but the product doesn't seem mature yet. Perhaps in a year this may change
But at this time Ecotech is the winner in my book and the QD makes the decision so much easier

tunze and Jebao are great too...and i like that i can point them around in the direction that i choose

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As odd as it sounds i dont see it as a vs type situation. With my half cylinder, using the Gyre was, without question, the best solution for me.

If i had a penninsula tank with a true cliff i would opt for two Vortechs. It all depends on the tank and rockscape. The biggest problem is people sticking with the rockscape. Once changed, people sometimes get frustrated with their pumps not fitting in well.

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im in the market for a new pump or 2 . They'll be going in a 93 gal cube . Dimensions are 30 long x 30 deep x 24 tall with most of the rock along the back wall . What would u guys recommend ?

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Im in the market for a new pump or 2 . They'll be going in a 93 gal cube . Dimensions are 30 long x 30 deep x 24 tall with most of the rock along the back wall . What would u guys recommend ?

Are you talking Gyre's? I'd go with a XF-130. 150's (imo) are for tanks 4 feet and longer. Im running a XF-130 on my 40 breeder running at 40 to 50% and it's more than enough flow. Then again being 30 deep you may benefit from the longer XF-150. Depends if you buy 1 or 2 units.

Last edited:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a gyre 130 on my 32" cube to replace an mp40 + mp10. I'm running alternating gyre mode 100%/60% on one side of the tank, and I have 2 mp 40's on other side of the tank. Flow is great. The 130 is pretty quiet running 100%.

kidtango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they make a wonderful couple. lol. My tank is 60X35X21 and I have one gyre 150 + mp40 on one side of the tank. Together they generate very random flow. I get small ripples across the tank like small waves. I couldn't believe they compliment each other so well. And it's very minimal look with no giant pumps obstructing my view. I am also able to place SPS corals anywhere in my tank. I think I have found the best flow solution for my tank until they come out with something better/newer. :)

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking Gyre's? I'd go with a XF-130. 150's (imo) are for tanks 4 feet and longer. Im running a XF-130 on my 40 breeder running at 40 to 50% and it's more than enough flow. Then again being 30 deep you may benefit from the longer XF-150. Depends if you buy 1 or 2 units.

Yeah after everything I've read and seen I'm thinking Gyre is the way for me . I was thinking of putting a XF- 150 either centered on the back wall or either standing up and down near the back corner of the tank . What u think ?

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone with a center overflow try mounting them vertically on the side walls of the overflow?

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah after everything I've read and seen I'm thinking Gyre is the way for me . I was thinking of putting a XF- 150 either centered on the back wall or either standing up and down near the back corner of the tank . What u think ?

Do the 150. It will have more than enough flow than you would ever need, plus save money by not buying 2- 130's.

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Endless possibilities with Gyre and Vortech's complementing each other. I'll be running both in my new build.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back