Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting because I only have 11" on my side walls. Because of overflows. So I would be forced vertical installation.

n8zirkle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running mine since they come out. I love it. Running it on my 250g 66x30x30 and 100% is still a bit much for it. It redistributes my sand all over the place. I run it horizontal at the top of the tank in pulse mode. I did switch on of the sides out to the opposite setting to run it on alternating mode but couldn't get it tuned right. it was blowing to much sand in the reverse mode. So i swapped it back to the original and continue to run it on pulse. My glass is 3/4" and the magnets do hold fine but could be a bit stronger. I've heard talks of extra/different magnets but can't find them anywhere. Anyone have any ideas on that?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned mine for the first time a couple days ago. First day of operation was early November. Dismantling, cleaning, and reassembly went better than I had anticipated. It was already getting covered in coraline and other type of algae and it seemed like it was getting louder, so I decided to give it a vinegar soak. I think this pump will require more frequent cleaning than say a Tunze.

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, Finally i get my 150 And trust me its pretty amazing and overpowerful for my tank Its rinning at 20% on constant speed and took 40 mins to adjust place where it ll not disturb the sand...... Ll keep it updated ....

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of these on the way. They are coming through a local shop so hopefully I get them soon.

My tank is 72Lx36wx27H. Do you think if I put one on each end, they will be able to move the entire 36W worth of water? I've seen videos showing me that the length and height won't be a problem, but I haven't seen how wide of a section these pumps can move.

How are the two gyres on your 300g working? I have the same tank and have one gyre at the end near the top pushing the water towards my CTC overflow. The thing is amazing. I have two MP60s on the opposite site running in alternating pulse mode at 40% just to create some variance.

i was thinking of adding a second Gyre and getting rid of the 60s and running the second gyre Vertically to spin the water around the sides of the tank.

Do you have a video of yours in action?

Thanks!
Todd

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have they Gyre running at one end of my 300g deep dimension. Its about 3-4" below the surface. I run it at 100% in pulse mode, with pulses about 2s. I have two burms of rockwork and there are NO deadspots in the tank. Even with my MP60s off. It really pushes the water across. This thing would easily push water across even an 8' tank.

I'm thinking of adding a second Gyre mounted vertically to swirl the water around the tank, as mentioned in my post above. Has anyone seen a setup like this and maybe have a video?

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have watched all of the videos surrounding this pump but I'm just curious as to how effective it will be in a tank with lots of rock work. Just trying to imagine how effective would the gyre flow be when facing more than a 7' long frag tank or a 120g with 50 pounds of live rock...I'll keep following threads to see!

That's what I want to know/ see. I have a 120 with about 80lbs of Rock if not more (basically a wall rockscape). I don't see how one gyre would be efficient enough.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, it would be amazing in a 120 and you'd have no dead spots running just the gyre, despite rockwork. It moves tons of water. MUCH better than MP60s. When I run just the gyre at 100% in my 300g deep dimension (72x36x27) there are no dead spots. I have probably 200lbs of rock. Here is a video. I didn't put something in the water to show the flow, but you can see it push tons of water towards the overflow on the opposite end. The video shows the gyre running at 100% on pulse mode (2s). When the gyre is off, there is an mp60 running at 40% on pulse mode (2s).
[video=youtube_share;diYw3XILWzg]http://youtu.be/diYw3XILWzg[/video]

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a "wall" more or less, and put a gyre mounted vertically on an end of the tank about 4 inches from the front glass, it would push water across the front of the tank and pull water behind the rock wall. IMO It would be phenomenal.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I want to know/ see. I have a 120 with about 80lbs of Rock if not more (basically a wall rockscape). I don't see how one gyre would be efficient enough.

If you have a "wall" more or less, and put a gyre mounted vertically on an end of the tank about 4 inches from the front glass, it would push water across the front of the tank and pull water behind the rock wall. IMO It would be phenomenal.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the two gyres on your 300g working? I have the same tank and have one gyre at the end near the top pushing the water towards my CTC overflow. The thing is amazing. I have two MP60s on the opposite site running in alternating pulse mode at 40% just to create some variance.

i was thinking of adding a second Gyre and getting rid of the 60s and running the second gyre Vertically to spin the water around the sides of the tank.

Do you have a video of yours in action?

Thanks!
Todd

I'm still really liking the gyre's. At this point I'm glad I went with two. I have them running on separate ends of the tank, placed horizontally. I have them running in alternating gyre mode, one switching every 5 minutes and one switching every 10 minutes. I did this pattern because I actually wanted them to gyre one direction, and then the other direction. But without a controller to controll both of them (I hope they make an apex attachement for it), it became a hassle. They would loose the the timing too easily that I set them up with. So this way, I'll for sure have gyre's in both directions, plus some random chaotic flow when they are both in normal mode (it actually typically makes two little gyres, with the center of the tank being the the middle), and some really slow movement times.

I have been running only the gyres (all other powerheads have been removed) since I got them and haven't noticed any lacking flow. I do have hair algae issues but I think that is a different problem, not the pumps' fault.

I really like having two because I'm able to reverse flow on one to reinforce the regular flow on the other. I think with only one, I'd have to turn it on too high and cause issues, such as damaged coral as well as splashing out of the tank.

I've had two main issues with them. They are related. First, the stick pads don't stick very well and so both controllers, at one point or another, have fallen off the tank. The second issue was discovered because of this. One time, the controller falling somehow caused one of the pumps to be set into regular flow mode at a very high rate. The water hit one of the middle braces, flowed onto the ledge in the plastic, and then slowly dripped out of the tank on the outside (since the plastic ledge is higher than the glass, the water seeped through the corner crack at the corner of the tank). Because it was such a slow drip, I didn't discover the problem until my ATO was way lower than it was supposed to be, the second time around (the first time I thought it was a result of some work I did). So I lost 20 to 30 gallons of salt water onto the floor over the course of 4 days. That sucked. But the problem went away when I turned down the power of the regular mode and also set it back into the alternating gyre mode.

So all said, I'm still very satisfied and still recommend them. I will start trying to pay better attention to see if I think I lack flow in any areas.

I haven't made any videos. Not sure how to show them in action other than showing off all my hair algae moving in the current lol.

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I did report an issue with a blinking red light when trying to use alternating gyre. I contacted support and they sent me a new controller and now it works exactly as it is supposed to.

msderganc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 62dB at 100% measured right at the magnet. Mines very quiet.

62db is pretty loud depending on your ambient volume. It's roughly equivalent to a regular conversation.

I've found that mine goes from around 45db at idle (about my tank's normal volume) to about 52db (pulse mode at 90%) using the stock parts. It's very noticeable in pulse mode - I can hear it from rooms away like this.

If I add silicone pads, it drops to about 47db, which is much harder to hear. I have to be within a couple feet and focus to hear it at that level.

zalick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
62db is pretty loud depending on your ambient volume. It's roughly equivalent to a regular conversation.

I've found that mine goes from around 45db at idle (about my tank's normal volume) to about 52db (pulse mode at 90%) using the stock parts. It's very noticeable in pulse mode - I can hear it from rooms away like this.

If I add silicone pads, it drops to about 47db, which is much harder to hear. I have to be within a couple feet and focus to hear it at that level.

I have terrible hearing and lots of ambient noise. :)

Yeah, there is a slight hum thats audible throughout my living room/kitchen area. I had a friend ask what it was last night. Mine is quieter than my MP60s which is the most important part! I'm going to give silicone pads a try tonight. Would be nice to have it be silent.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have pics of the pads you used?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back