Maxspect RipTide Owners Thread

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Break in period

Though it's not mentioned in the manual Carlos has spoken of a break in period. I assumed the break in should be done at lower speeds but it seems I was wrong. Carlos says the break in should be done at a minimum of 40%. I've been running mine at 30% and it was pretty much silent. When I run it at 40% or higher I get a high pitched whine. I'll run it at 40-50% for a few weeks and hope that whine goes away. Anyway, run it at least 40% to break it in properly.

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rubber feet of an old Koralia pump and put them between the Gyre and the glass. It seems to have cut down on the noise level some. I have been running mine for a week now, and am very happy with it on my 4' 120 gal.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the rubber feet of an old Koralia pump and put them between the Gyre and the glass. It seems to have cut down on the noise level some. I have been running mine for a week now, and am very happy with it on my 4' 120 gal.

What is the thickness of your glass? 1/2 or 3/8?

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 180gal 72/24/24 How many of these would I need? Going to have 2 returns comming back into the tank as well mabe place them on the side to shoot lengthwise with the flow of the Riptide?

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a 180gal 72/24/24 How many of these would I need? Going to have 2 returns comming back into the tank as well mabe place them on the side to shoot lengthwise with the flow of the Riptide?

I think you would need one on either end. Two should definitely be enough since you have supplementation from your returns. You could have to riptides run in intervals on either side throughout the day. I think these pumps are most effective when running horizontally and forcing water across the top of the aquarium verses being placed vertically and running on the back.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know when I can control this on the apex?

seargentslice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you would need one on either end. Two should definitely be enough since you have supplementation from your returns. You could have to riptides run in intervals on either side throughout the day. I think these pumps are most effective when running horizontally and forcing water across the top of the aquarium verses being placed vertically and running on the back.
Thank you I was wondering in what orientation was better I assumed the same but wasn't sure!

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I was wondering in what orientation was better I assumed the same but wasn't sure!

I'm not sure why it's better, but I suspect it's because at the water surface, the output from the pump can create a higher velocity of water movement, because at the surface I suspect there is less resistance compared to against the glass when oriented vertically.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As others have pointed out, I think having thicker glass reduces vibrations. Mine is 3/4 and there is very little noise, but the pump is barely holding on! It makes sense that the spacers are helping, maybe Maxspect will release spaces for the pump.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone notice that the gyre is built just like the jebao wp series pumps when it comes to the one piece shaft magnet style also the magnet does not have protective plastic like high end pumps do covering the magnet and the ceramic bushings also same style of plug in on the controller. i think ceramic bushing with ceramic shaft is a bad combo, jebao change this on the rw series pumps they went to a floating shaft and a rubber bushing which is how must pumps are built. maybe this was the reason of the wp series failure to last. not knocking on the gyra peeps just crurious.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone notice that the gyre is built just like the jebao wp series pumps when it comes to the one piece shaft magnet style also the magnet does not have protective plastic like high end pumps do covering the magnet and the ceramic bushings also same style of plug in on the controller. i think ceramic bushing with ceramic shaft is a bad combo, jebao change this on the rw series pumps they went to a floating shaft and a rubber bushing which is how must pumps are built. maybe this was the reason of the wp series failure to last. not knocking on the gyra peeps just crurious.

For sure, it's going to be interesting to see how these pumps hold up over time. I think I have a year and a half warranty on mine. So I'm not too worried. Plus they are backed by Coralvue. Maybe with the cash injection from the release they can improve the design.

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tank is 36 inches X 24 inches X 18 inches

very thin layer of live sand... i have ordered this stuff and i am pretty exited. but will this blow away my sand ?

currently i am running 1 WP25 and it doesn't have enough flow and if i tune it higher it blows away the sand...

will gyre help ?

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will blow it around for sure. But there are ways to get around it. You can set it to pulse, which makes it less strong of a pump. Just use the lowest setting.

I'd be happy about sand moving as its like a carpet it collects dust and "stains". Sand is the same collects poo and food, and detritus. So a bit of movement is good for a sand bed.

Just think what happens to sand during a hurricane.

jack89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cory thank you

my tanks sand is layered with lots of corals like zoas and plate corals. so if it blew sand the sand rests on the corals which is not really nice site to see. slowly i am removing the sand bed to the minimal and with time ll remove the sand bed for sure. but than the tank doesn't look more natural and i don't like that.

let the pump come and ll update it....

Browner20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know when the xf130 is coming out? My LFS thought they would have it this week but none of the online stores are claiming it in stock so I'm guessing my LFS still doesn't have their shipment. I would get the 150 but I have a 60 gal.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be fine with the x150! You can dial it all the way back and pulse it to make it less powerful. Plus if you ever sell, you'll likely get more for the x150.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who knows the release date of the smaller one? Im really wanting 2 of the smaller ones.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is anyone running a xf150 on a old 110g oceanic RR? its a 5' x 18"w x 24t tank. Overflows in the corners. Wanting to order my tank a xmass present lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back