Moonshiners method feedback

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re saying in your opinion the food we feed to our tanks has enough of all the trace elements necessary for the health of coral?

I guess in the future I can run an experiment with two tanks. Same lighting, same corals, etc. just no trace element dosing to see if I really notice a difference.

Enough is a loaded term. More than water change and likely more than reactor media for some trace elements, yes.

The problem is no one does the sort of experiment you propose since it is tedious and expensive. Not even the supplement manufacturers (at least not that they ever show).

This has an iron comparison, water change to foods:

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enough is a loaded term. More than water change and likely more than reactor media for some trace elements, yes.

The problem is no one does the sort of experiment you propose since it is tedious and expensive. Not even the supplement manufacturers (at least not that they ever show).

This has an iron comparison, water change to foods:

Got it I see what you mean.

Well, more than one way to reef haha. I do like the controllability I get from RMS (reef moonshiner). So I got a good mojo going with the tank the last couple years due to RMS, so I’ll keep at it.

Eventually, I’ll start messing with individual trace elements to see if I can get a different color to pop from a particular coral. Such as dosing more iron, get brighter greens or cobalt for more blues (I have zero idea if this is affected by exactly that element, just trying to show of a possible experiment I can do later within my same aquarium after I have good sized colonies). If it helps, I always take a look at the process through the Fauna Marin website. For example:

I always dose flouride into my tank once every month because the ICP tests always show it is depleted. Every time I do this, I notice a growth spurt across all my corals. I’m considering dosing flouride daily at this point. How measurable is the growth… i don’t know, but I can tell something changed. I spend hours looking at my tank every week, but that is the only anecdotal evidence I have.

I do see other reefers such as Korallito, Rocky E. That has an amazing system and he also utilizes RMS. I want that tank… so I’m mimicking the same method.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can you post some pics of your corals?
Sure thing. I should have probably prefaced the post with the particular application that I've been using it with. I do aquarium service, installation, Etc. I use that combination on accounts that I'm only there one day a month, two days a month, and once every week. It helps keep things elevated, so things don't dip down to where Corals suffer. Here are some pictures. The tanks are different stages, etc.
Obviously, things can always be more fine-tuned with regular ICP tests. Anyone can purchase individual trace elements, and do the same exact thing as Reef moonshiners, without spending a fortune.

20230920_150952.jpg 20230921_140000.jpg 20230922_101514.jpg 20230822_122834.jpg 20230709_175940.jpg 20230511_132738.jpg

Last edited:

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I hate the "pro" version of salts with their super elevated elements. Gimme a flat, nsw level salt mix any day. I'll take care of managing levels myself. :slightly-smiling-face:
Everyone's entitled to dislike something. But, you can't argue with the fact that it creates a good baseline, especially on aquarium service systems. Where clients don't do anything, but sit there. And don't have anywhere near the experience that any of us have.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's entitled to dislike something. But, you can't argue with the fact that it creates a good baseline, especially on aquarium service systems. Where clients don't do anything, but sit there. And don't have anywhere near the experience that any of us have.
lol I’m not arguing. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: I said “I” hate. YOU on the other hand can use whatever you want.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can purchase individual trace elements, and do the same exact thing as Reef moonshiners, without spending a fortune.

So you know all the trace element doses/potency needed for your system, the bioavailability/purity of each element you’ll be purchasing, and the safe daily dosage for all daily dosages, correction doses (even those that may need more than a week of corrections).?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you know all the trace element doses/potency needed for your system, the bioavailability/purity of each element you’ll be purchasing, and the safe daily dosage for all daily dosages, correction doses (even those that may need more than a week of corrections).?
It's not rocket science :cool:

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wait a second, are you implying that Moonshiners is the only method that has precise calculations involved?

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wait a second, are you implying that Moonshiners is the only method that has precise calculations involved?
No need. It's called the ," Balling" method. ATI is a Pioneer in this industry.
ATI essentials Pro, is A complete ,"Ionically-Balanced 2-pt dosing solution. They have precision dosing calculators on their website. They also sell individual elements. Soo, maybe do some research before you attempt to drag me on R2R.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI essentials Pro, is A complete ,"Ionically-Balanced 2-pt dosing solution.

So you think ATI essentials Pro can hang. You might want to educate yourself. When you put elements in 2-4 bottles you loose the ability to control the elements. That’s newbie juice.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo, maybe do some research before you attempt to drag me on R2R.

I have no interest in dragging you through this forum. I focus on growing corals. For me, Moonshine is the easiest way to take care of the entire chemistry. It’s not rocket science, but I’d argue we have some of the purest and most bioavailable elements out there. Consistent QC is performed and we test other products on the market. We also have 5K+ members who all share their data in our group, so we are quite familiar with all the methods, products, ICP labs, etc. It’s very simple. Do what you feel works the best for you. If you don’t like Reef Moonshiner’s, just don’t use it. That simple. Go grab you some ATI Essentials.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No need. It's called the ," Balling" method. ATI is a Pioneer in this industry.
ATI essentials Pro, is A complete ,"Ionically-Balanced 2-pt dosing solution. They have precision dosing calculators on their website. They also sell individual elements. Soo, maybe do some research before you attempt to drag me on R2R.

You do know who created the Balling Method, right? It certainly wasn’t ATI. They were only two decades late to that party

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back