My 500 gallon reef tank. 650 gallon overall volume.

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months after installing the original display refugium, I decided I wanted a bigger one and got a great deal on a 60 gallon 24"x24x24" cube.

This tank was a clear back so I first painted the back outside of the tank with black Plastidip. With this tank, I decided to stick with a stand pipe drain and return line as opposed to an overflow. I didn't want to sacrafice bottom space for the overflow and figured I could build my rock work around the standpipes. The stand pipes were painted black with Krylon Fusion.
image_zpsbd7ea959.jpg

Fortunately this swap didn't require shutting down anything on the main tank except for the skimmer. I had to add 50 or so gallons to the main tank/sump in order to fill the display fuge so I had to temporarily shut the skimmer off to prevent it from overflowing.. I opted not to reuse any of the water I siphoned out of the original display fuge so adding new water to the system and allowing it to mix with the tank water was the best and easiest course of action. Once the new water was transferred to the main tank, we started the tear down. First close off the return valve to stop the flow then siphon some water into to buckets and remove the mangroves soft coral and some rock, drain some more water, remove more rocks, drain more water find any remaining corals on the bottom then scoop out the live sand. Tear down and removal of the original tank took about 40 minutes.

The whole swap took just few hours. Once the new tank was in, I put the original live sand in the new tank and added two more bags of live sand. The we filled it. It took another hour or so for the water to clean enough to put the original live rock back in. Since this tank is twice as tall, I snagged a piece of live rock from my main display as well as a couple pieces from my sump to create the cave and live rock structure off one of the corners of the display fuge.
All of the corals in here are from the original display fuge and were originally offspring from larger colonies in my main display.

I also came up with a nifty clip solution for suspending my mangroves. My goal was for the mangroves to have the roots grown down the sand creating little mangrove caves and structures for fish to hide in. I do like the look that the roots provide suspended off the bottom. It creates a fairly unique feel to the display.

Here are a few pictures.
First the before.
image_zpsc0687c6d.jpg

Now the after shots. Lights are still ramping up so it could be brighter. More pictures will follow later today.
image_zpse66833c5.jpg

Really hard to see the cave.
image_zps6bf624f0.jpg

image_zps80327e3f.jpg

image_zps281d6c83.jpg

image_zps6ab2766d.jpg

image_zps3e12d966.jpg

This display fuge got a pair of Tunze 6095's in it which are controlled by my Apex. With that came the need for more Apex modules including a VDM and I opted for a lunar sim on this tank as well.
I mounted some modules below the tank and ran a long Aquabus cable to an EB8 in closet next to the big display.
image_zps6e8fdbcf.jpg

As I mentioned, this particular tank uses a Maxspect Razor for the lighting. I mounted the two Lunar Sim LED's in to the vacant recess for the extra fans. It worked out pretty good. I angled the Lunar LED's inward slightly to maximize the coverage where I needed it.
image_zps95133b59.jpg

This was taken at 92% full moon.
image_zps8e777436.jpg

image_zps281799d5.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with many things on the tank, its always an evolution. Especially when it comes to my quest for power savings. It wasn't but a year after the sump upgrade that I switched those Reeflo pumps out for the Gold models. Between the pump changes, lighting changes and the fact that I no longer needed my chiller running, my power bill dropped from around $1100 a month down to $350 a month. While the upgrades cost several thousand dollars, they paid for themselves in the first year.
image_zps44ab1230.jpg

Early last year I took up a role with Royal Exclusiv USA with the goal of turning around and streamlining the support side of things. With that came a decision to switch my Reeflo's out in favor of new RD3 230 watt pumps. These pumps put out a whopping 5400GPH and are dead silent and dead cold running. I used my Kill-A-Watt to verify the power consumption of my Super Dart Gold and it was drawing 174 watts. The new RD3 puts out the same flow when set to 150 watts. I verified the power through my Kill-A-Watt and the flow was easily verifiable based on the water line in the display. A second RD3 230 pump went in place of my closed loop. That one is controlled by my Apex. At night it drops down to 60 watts to create some calm in the tank. During the day it runs at 120 watts which is around 2600 GPH. When my Tunze's kick into flush mode which is a profile I have programmed into my Apex to use the Tunze's to stir up detritus, this pump kicks up to 170 watts. The closed loop expells it's water through a manifold that circles my overflow under my live rock. The idea being that it prevents detritus from settling under the rock. When the closed loop pump goes to the high power mode, anything that might have settle down there is blasted up into the water column where it's suspended and sent over the overflow and into my filter socks.

Some comparative photos for size reference. I plumbed the RD3 up with the same union fittings so I could keep a Dart Gold as a spare and have the Dart swappable without any modifications to it. Just close two valves, disconnect the unions and put the new one in it's place. Just how I keep all my spare pumps. Now I just keep a dart on hand as a spare.
RD3 230 in the front. Reeflo Dart Gold in the middle and a Hammerhead Gold in the back. That was my spare return pump and a good comparison in terms of flow since the RD3 puts out just as much flow as the Hammerhead.
image_zpscx61wzwd.jpg

image_zpsvl46bikd.jpg

image_zpsklcfyl0p.jpg

image_zps7zwezfc8.jpg

The installation did require some serious plumbing modifications to my return plumbing due to the height of the RD3 and a line that runs to my garage to my chiller. Even thought the chiller isn't used, I keep it plumbed in just in case I ever need it.

And the finished install. I absolutely love the pumps!
image_zps3xwukus7.jpg

image_zpscyk0quya.jpg

image_zpsvtztxtll.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure there is a lot I missed since I was trying to consolidate nearly 20 years into a handfull of posts. In the mean time, here is a video I shot the other day of the equipment and system followed by a video walkaround of the tank. I will add more photos this weekend.

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I would add some pictures of the tank. These are some 26 month growth shots. Virtually no new additions in these pictures. Just coral growth.

26 months ago. If you look twoards the lower right of this picture, there is a small hammer on a rock just ton the right of the finger corals. It's was 1 or 2 heads in this picture. There is another hammer on the upper right of this photo that was a handful of heads and fist sized in this picture.
image_zpsdpfu8kdw.jpeg

Last month: The same hammer mentioned above is nearly 30 years. Also note the larger hammer on the upper right of this picture. It's about 60 heads now and larger than a basket ball. Also note the finger corals near the center of this picture. They are literally growing out of the tank now.
image_zpsjbimi7ss.jpeg

26 months ago.
image_zpsigf7rpot.jpeg

Last month . Hard to capture the lighting like I did back then..
image_zpswwyv6trb.jpeg

26 months ago.
image_zpschm3qbpc.jpeg

Last month.
image_zpsov9ltnst.jpeg

26 months ago. If you look at the center of this photo on the top of the peninsula, you can see that small hammer coral there that had a handful of heads.
image_zpsrk1ryja1.jpeg

Last month. The same hammer mentioned above is quite obvious as it has grown to nearly 60 heads and is larger than a basketball.

Last edited:
OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never really into SPS. I love the movement from the soft corals but a couple friends gave me some SPS frags and since I run a calcium reactor and my parameters are good. I figured I would put them in and they have taken off and seem to be growing very well.

Some more growth shots. It's very apparent that these corals love my Kessil 360WE's

This picture was taken 52 days ago when I got it.
image_zpsc9lgng9v.jpeg

This was taken about 43 days ago and you can see that there are a bunch of new tips growing on the almost all the tips of it. It's also coloring up nicely.
image_zpsfgjctxyw.jpeg

This was taken 32 days ago.
image_zpsqkyd35fp.jpeg

These were taken 24 days ago.
image_zpsplqcrcpd.jpeg

image_zpsauly12fs.jpeg

These were taken 15 days ago.

image_zpslaw6fntc.jpeg

image_zpsuvfzuzzc.jpeg

Taken a week ago.
image_zpsnv4w25q5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a pair of monti cap frags. Picture taken A couple months ago. They started out as two quarter sized frags.
image_zpsnulivdjh.jpeg

Pictures taken a month ago.
image_zpsog2civqq.jpeg

image_zpswifutdjs.jpeg

Pictures taken two weeks ago. It's now almost 10" across and several inches from front to back.
image_zps7nlajwva.jpeg

image_zpso325dbtb.jpeg

Picture taken 5 weeks ago.
image_zpsxaizdgz5.jpeg

Picture taken two weeks ago.
image_zpsiphj3dyn.jpeg

Picture taken 7 weeks ago.
image_zpschkpa5ft.jpeg

Picture taken two weeks.
image_zpsj8j1nvv4.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Josh King

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your amazing 20 year journey in reefkeeping! Your tank and dedication to it is inspiring!!

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know why I procrastinated on starting this thread. It was a lot of work covering the last 20 years. One thing I did forget is my equipment list so here it is.
Really haven't changed much in the last few years other than my pumps last year and my LED's a year and a half ago.

Main display: 4'x8'x24" tall acrylic. 1" sides, top and bottom and 1.5" front and back.

Equipment list:
Flow:
Royal Exclusiv RD3 230 Return Pump
Royal Exclsuiv RD3 230 Closed Loop Pump (Apex controlled)
2x Tunze 6205 in main display (Apex Controlled)
1x Tunze 6105 in main display (Apex Controlled)
2x Tunze 6095 in display fuge (Apex Controlled)
2x 1" SeaSwirls on return line.

Filtration:
1x 40"x 36"x 18" tall custom Sump with 4x 7" 200 micron filter socks
1x 36"x30"x 18" tall custom refugium
1x 24" x 24" x 24" 60g display refugium
Bubble King Supermarin 250 Skimmer with RD3 pump
AquaDriver Self Cleaning skimmer Head
Aqua UV Classic 114 watt UV sterilizer
2x BRS Jumbo reactor (GFO & Carbon)
GEO 818 Calcium Reactor with Masterflex feed pump and Aquarium Plants Carbon Doser Reg.
Genesis Renew Auto Water Changer

Lighting:
8x Kessil 360WE (Apex Controlled)

Refugium Lighting:
1 Maxpsect Razor light over the display fuge.
1x 20w LED & 4x 10w LED on below tank fuge.

Misc
Spectrapure UHE 90GPD RODI
Stenner pump for Apex controlled ATO
JBJ Arctica 1/2HP chiller (plumbed but no longer needed or used)

Full Apex with:
PM1 (2nd pH probe for CaRx)
PM2 (Conductivity Monitor)
5x EB8
3x EB4
2x VDM
3x Lunar Sim (2 on main display one on display fuge)
1 DOS (For thawed frozen food feeder)
1 AFS
2x custom breakout box
1x ALD with 4x leak sensors

I think that about covers it but I'm probably missing something.

Here is also a video of my DOS power custom thawed/chilled frozen food feeder.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Absolutely stunning. Definitely time and effort throughout the years on your part. Its surely paying off. May need u to come do some consulting on mine.[emoji6]

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last but not least, some recent pictures of the tank in my home.
image_zpsdqgqce5h.jpeg

image_zpsewwbqhrg.jpeg

The office side which is a bit harder to photograph because of the smaller space.
image_zpsbizovb5r.jpeg

image_zpskfsr97dw.jpeg

Access above the tank.
image_zpsc7nu2dbt.jpeg

Access below the tank.
image_zpsaebf8guj.jpeg

Flush mounted Apex display.
image_zpsj7rmxjdf.jpeg

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... Absolutely stunning. Definitely time and effort throughout the years on your part. Its surely paying off. May need u to come do some consulting on mine.[emoji6]

Thank you very much! You would need to be close by! ;-)

Amazing post, I would be interested in the dollar figure you spent over the past 20 years!!!!!

Thank you.. Regarding what I've spent over the last 20 years.. Good god, I'd hate to even think about it as I am sure I'd be mortified with the total. Granted, it's not so bad (relatively speaking) when it's amortized over that many years but there were a few very large expenditures over the years between the install and some of the bigger upgrades.

OP
OP
slief

slief

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures of some of the fish in the tank. I have around 60 fish in the system. Some notable ones include my valmingi, unicorn, Atlantic blue tang, lieutenant tang, tomini tang, borbonius anthias, pyramid butterfly, flame angel, lemon peel angel, PJ cardinals, bangai cardinals, 4 or 5 engineer gobys and more.
image_zpsvnsylfex.jpeg

image_zpstb5jje8j.jpeg

image_zpsbccbua80.jpeg

image_zpsuq8o9zmx.jpeg

image_zpspjqdiqmv.jpeg

image_zpszl8xqef9.jpeg

image_zpsbvvl5mqg.jpeg

image_zpscdq1zf0q.jpeg

image_zpsmue7m1bu.jpeg

image_zpsnvlten9w.jpeg

image_zpsee1put63.jpeg

image_zpsta4abat5.jpeg

image_zpsiawri0go.jpeg

image_zpstecig0jz.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back