Need help selecting my 300 gallon Upgrade

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be upgrading my 180 gallon reef tank to a 300 gallon, finally my dream build. I really feel like I will be able to use my 7 years of knowledge and expertise to finally build an incredibly successful reef. I am now gathering pricing for my tank build and have narrowed it down to an all Glass tank from Coast to Coast or a Glass and PVC bottom hybrid tank from A.G.E or MRC. The hybrid tank is about $2500 cheaper. I know Coast to Coast builds a bullet proof tank, one of the nicest in the industry, but I do not need a tank to last 50 years. The 1200lb weight also scares my a little about moving into my house. Anyone have any experience or knowledge about Hybrid tanks?

uchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of the country are you located. West coast has crystal dynamics and south we have planet aquariums. Then you also has reef saavy down in Florida. They all do customs tanks. I like my pvc bottom tank especially since I'm bare bottom.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u selling ur 180 gallon tank?
And I am following to see what ur going to do as I want a tank like that someday

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be selling my 180 but it won't be for about 3 months..8-10 weeks to build plus I'm going to use all new dry rock , so I need to cycle and slowly transition my fish and corals. I'm tired of all the unwanted pest that come with live rock . I live in New York, so Coast to Coast is about 2 hours away. 8' x 30" x 24" with starphire on 3 sides is $6,000. Plus they said it's 1200lbs, which scares me a little. I don't mind spending the money, but is it really that much better than A.G.E for 4,900 including shipping. Planet aquarium hybrid tank through my local fish store is $6240

fin mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered glasscages.com? Their price is far different from coast to coast but so maybe their build quality.

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coast to coast tank is built like a tank...perhaps overbuilt but I have no concerns about leaks, etc. I went with their steel stand and am very happy I did. Tons of room underneath. I did some custom items on mine and would advise that you make sure you are both on the same page as to exactly what you want as mine doesn't work exactly as I had hoped. Also - for the price I felt like it should have come with a cover for the overflow.

The company was very easy to work and stood behind their work. I spoke with reef savvy and they had a significantly longer lead time.

Also - on the delivery. Coast to coast advises opening the box while it is still on the truck to ensure no damage. The shipping company they were using threw a fit over this and was threatening to leave. This could just be a local shipping company issue.

I have also heard bad stories about glass cages but have no direct experience. A local maintenance company with a good reputation told me not to use them.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply. I am 2 hours away and they want something like $1500 for shipping. If I go with them, I will rent a van and pick it up myself, probably cost me $300. Which custom items did you go with? I really have narrowed it down to Coast to Coast or a hybrid tank from A.G.E.

Thanks,

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a dry box in the tank for the vortech pump motors (similar to D2Mini's old cube tank). I wanted a hole drilled in the glass behind the dry box to be able to run the cable for the vortech pump out the back of the tank and not over the top for a cleaner look. They asked me to send my vortech to them measure and make sure it fit which I did. The hole they drilled is the exact size of the cable but doesn't take into account the plug meaning the cable still runs over the top of the tank.

It took me about six months from delivery to get water into the tank so only noticed it then so never gave them a chance to respond.

IMG_3635.JPG

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a pretty looking tank. I will have a canopy above mine, so really am not ordering anything special. With their experience, they should have know to avoid that mistake.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of the country are you located. West coast has crystal dynamics and south we have planet aquariums. Then you also has reef saavy down in Florida. They all do customs tanks. I like my pvc bottom tank especially since I'm bare bottom.
Planet Aquariums was way more expensive than A.G.E for the same exact build. Might be because I went through my local fish store for Planet Aquariums and direct for A.G.E.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back