New Here, can ya show me around!!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, SO I set this tank up in late December. I decided to go bare bottom so I don't have as much cleaning to do. My previous tanks had sand and I cleaned it often, I won't miss it!

Anyways I still purchased a bag of Carib sea Arag-Alive Hawaiin Black Sand. I dumped the entire bag into the third section of the sump(where my Skimmer will go). At the time I was assuming that it would help with the cycle. Now I'm thinking I have to clean it up and dump it. I don't think I cant put the Skimmer on it. My second section of the fuge is for my algae barn Red Ogo & cubes.

I have no problem with cleaning the sand out now if that's what needs to be done. I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing. My Octopus skimmer should arrive soon. All the skimmers I've seen have never been on a bed of sand. If that's cool, I'd put the skimmer on the sand. If that's not cool, I have some cleaning to do.

thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
Get a net and scoop
Sand does help against algae and adds more surface area for bacteria but no don’t put your skimmer on top.

OP
OP
jshriev_157

jshriev_157

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. I hope all reefs are happy and healthy! I wonder if anyone can direct me to do a build thread. Or it said something about a url? I love the idea of putting down every crazy thing I do with pictures too! I am still in the early stages of this tank so I'm really eager to start the thread soon as possible. Thanks again!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi in your profile copy and paste the url of your build?? pretty sure, @Peace River ? thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello again. I hope all reefs are happy and healthy! I wonder if anyone can direct me to do a build thread. Or it said something about a url? I love the idea of putting down every crazy thing I do with pictures too! I am still in the early stages of this tank so I'm really eager to start the thread soon as possible. Thanks again!

If you haven't started a build thread yet, then you can start one here:

Once you start a thread then let us know and we can help you with putting the link in your profile so that you can add a banner that will work as a quick link to your build thread.

We're cheering for you on your adventure!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard, and so it begins... again. I know that feeling
ZomboMeme 07012021164128.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back