New to Saltwater, excited as well as cautious

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I just started setting up my saltwater aquarium. For now we have a 525gph canister filter ( hopefully sometime that will become a sump), we have T5 lighting, I have 2 power heads, an RODI system, instant ocean salt, live rock, a heater, live sand -80lbs and an 80 gallon Oceanic aquarium. No pictures yet. I have started a fishless cycle for now but I've had others in different places suggest buying 3-4 clowns to do a cycle with fish. I hope to finish adding the rest of the live sand tomorrow as I'm waiting on deliveries of this. I haven't taken pictures yet. Would love suggestions. My husband really wants a trigger fish but I don't think that's doable with this size tank is it?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Clownfish.gif

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Continue with the “fish less cycle” just get “dr Timm’s one and only” and follow the directions or add an ammonia source. This forum was awesome helping me in the beginning getting back into things and usually if you have a question you can search here or ask! So if it were me, I’d continue with your fish less cycle and have patience. As hard and tempting as it is it will pay off in the end!
As far as the trigger, they are beautiful fish. But won’t do well in a reef if you plan to keep shrimp and crabs. They can also pick as some corals.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and family

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back