New to the hobby and looking for expertise

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dear friends at
image.jpg

I am in search of enjoying my salt water fish tank. I have a 30g with fruval 900. Two power heads, skimmer, heater and 16 LEDs. I hope this all sounds right. My tank has been running for 1yr. I stared putting corals in about 4mths. ago. I have attached a picture, which doesn't do the colors justice. I will work on my photograph. My biggest concern is what corals to put in, which ones can be close to the others if one should die, do I remove it or hope something takes residents. I check my chemistry every Sunday at the same time. I also do a 2gallon water change every 2weeks.
Sincerely
Kathleen
(help)

Grissino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kathleen,

It looks like you have a good thing going. The tank looks great. Glad you're a part of the hobby and R2R! If you have any questions, ask! These guys are the best of the best! I'm sharing a pic of my tank.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390096455.310436.jpg

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great but if you are using a cannister filter i would suggest removing it. If you don't clean it often you will create a nitrate factory. With a good skimmer, live rock and circulation you do not need the cannister.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your comment on my tank. What would I use for a filter instead of my canister filter. Since the post last evening. I lost one of my corals. It's almost like loosing one of my pets. I have just purchased 10 new frags from R2R yesterday. I'm a bit nervous it will wipe my tank out. Should I do a coral dip on them when they come. I don't have a quarantine tank. Wow.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my tank looks like during the morning hours when light light is changing.
image.jpg

Any suggestions on new corals and how do I know if they can be placed next to each other?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything in the tank that will tear into its neighbor. Most all corals have sweeper tentalces, but LPS Corals are known more for territorial war. From what I can see, I think your safe with your layout.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ? 3 of my rocks seem to be unstable. I have some Marine Putty/Epoxy. It states it is safe Cory my coral reef. How do I use it and how much. I did play with a piece to see what happens. But nothing stuck together before it hardened.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The putty, you break off a small piece that you would roll together until you felt the heat, enough to make a small marble would do ya. The stick it on the plug and then wherever its going.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF! We're very glad you joined and hope that you will enjoy the forums, enter contest, start a tank thread, and just be a part of our family friendly community!

Start a new tank thread here: Member Tanks

Enter a FREE contest here: R2R Giveaway and Contest Forum

Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

19-1.gif

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you that worked great for my frags. I was trying to use it as a glue to hold my big rocks together.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use bigger pieces of epoxy, you'll need a larger coverage area with the rocks, to hold em together. Gotta be enough to get into the crevices to create legs to hold them together.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta leave em be, keep an eye on him. They can shrink up fom time to time if they are ticked off. Whats your parameters? Lights, I know you said 16 leds, but are they 1w? 3w?
How long have you had him?

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the advice of removing my filter from my tank. WOW what a difference. The filter can't even be described by words. I kept the canister but everything else is garbage. Thank you all for the great advice.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General aquarium equipment

I have added new lights to my tank. I have a Sol Super Blue with AL System Controller.
AQE CIRC Pump 950
ASI 100g Seaclone Skimmer

I am going to figure this all out? :frusty:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back