New to the hobby and looking for expertise

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, with regards to QTing the coral, if you don't dip them, you still have the same bugs, pests on it when you transfer them.
Your parameters the same in QT as DT? If lighting is the same, theres no reason why they would be different, unless the water was different.
As for the fish, your watching them for 3-4 weeks, make sure theres nothing growing on them, and no ICH appears. Then upon transfer you could FW dip before they go into the DT.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. I'll get dip tomorrow and transfer them. The fish I'll leave them alone and move them accordingly. What about my new peppermint shrimp?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp you can drip him also and throw him in the DT. Usually drip at a rate of 2-3 drips per second for 2 hours.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unjust received 10 new frags from Ian in Florida. They are in great shape and very colorful. I can't wait to secure them in their place. But I am having trouble finding the right GLUE to secure underwater??? Any ideas? I'll take pictures when done.

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination of gel super glue and epoxy. I get a ball of epoxy (I personally use jb water weld or reef epoxy), put the super glue on one side of the ball, attach that to the frag disk or plug, the put some super glue on the other side of the ball of epoxy, then push firmly into place on my rockwork

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried the reef epoxy. I can't seem to get it to stick to even the frag plug. Maybe I am doing something wrong. It just separates from the frag. When I push it into the rock. It just detaches. YUg

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that problem too. Try some gel super glue between the plug and the epoxy. Same between the epoxy and the rock. Works great.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try this idea. Is it safe underwater? How to I glue a thin plate of my new Hollywood Stunner and does it play well with others?

totion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The super glue gel (cyanoacrylate) is fine underwater. Not sure on the Chalice, never had one.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices as a rule are pretty aggressive. Provide lots of space! They also tend not to like a lot of light, but you'll have to experiment with that. Start low-light (perhaps even in the shade) and then adjust slowly until you find the sweet spot. And feed it. :)

$1-store Super glue gel is fine - just don't get it on your fingers if you can help it! Stuff sticks like...well...like glue...

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will glue underwater? As for my Chalices I do have a area where there is no other corals. I just want it to stay "Tammed". Any help would be welcomed.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Glue Gel, stays put when you put it on the corals, thats why its better to use than just plain old super glue. When using the epoxy, ya gotta press and hold it into place for a few mintutes to get it to start to set for you.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super Glue Gel, stays put when you put it on the corals, thats why its better to use than just plain old super glue. When using the epoxy, ya gotta press and hold it into place for a few mintutes to get it to start to set for you.

Do you glue underwater? I never have.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah, your killing me. I use the epoxy underwater. But put the super glue gel on the piece at waters edge. (coral upside down, sticking in water and base out of water, and rock above water line.)

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bah, your killing me. I use the epoxy underwater. But put the super glue gel on the piece at waters edge. (coral upside down, sticking in water and base out of water, and rock above water line.)

Thanks, I've always taken the corals out of the water for 3 or 4 minutes. But I'm still in the process of killing you about air intake lph and watt usage claimed by some skimmer manufacturers.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I've always taken the corals out of the water for 3 or 4 minutes. But I'm still in the process of killing you about air intake lph and watt usage claimed by some skimmer manufacturers.

OP
OP
WhoKnew

WhoKnew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new updates.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%
Back